Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest TreeBass

23 Mar 09 Carp and Asp

Guest TreeBass

Decided it was so nice out, I’d go find some fish. Well, I found them, but it was hard fishing, with a little catching thrown in for good measure. I found some carp feeding in the shallows; we really don’t have that much in the way of shallows, so I got lucky.

So I start casting towards the two that I can see, first pass was just behind them, not good!

So I slow down, because at this point I’m really shaking…I put the fly, little red and black number (thanks again Clay34) one foot past their noses and let it sit. Very slowly I nudge the streamer towards them, and I mean nudging, real slow short strips.

One carp turns away, and I’m thinking, oh not good! But the other closes the couple inches to the fly, and sucks it up! I did a combination strip and rod tip pull and the fight was on!!!

This was good fish, about two-three pounder that fought pretty well. I don’t know how long, but it was a lot of fun. I didn’t get the line peeling run, but it defiantly got my heart rate up.

Sorry about the picture, I was kinda ticked myself, but this is the best one...

Iraq23Mar09008.jpg

So my heart finally stopped trying to jump out of my chest, and I continued looking for more carp or asp. I could have quit right then and been pleased with today outing.

I started seeing fish hitting the surface, and swirling, so I figured there were schools running baitfish. So I started casting towards them, and it was fish on. I caught 6 total all in this size range

Iraq23Mar09013.jpg

Caught one more carp and that was it for the day. He hit the fly while I was stripping fast!

Iraq23Mar09019.jpg

I have to tell you that fly fisherman have a strong dress code. Usually it's brands like Simms,Patagonia and Fish Pond. Not sure how the M9 would fit in at the local TU chapter meeting but love the shot. You are building memories that will last a life time. The little black and red deal is called a Bead head Bloody Bugger, which is a wooly bugger pattern.

Still working on the local TU chapter fellows and have a request in on this board to start something up where some of us might volunteer to send you and your fellow fisherman stationed far away from home a couple of care packages to assist in your fly fishing adventure. I know that guys could probably use some polaroid lens sun glass, flies, hemostats tippet material and any other goodies that one might put in a fly vest to make their outting go better. Your pictures make me smile. Thanks for the cool shots.

Guest TreeBass

Thanks everyone, and thank you Clay34, the fish love that thing, you did a great job! The carp are starting to hit the surface, I' m trying to see what they are hitting, once I do it will be on..those are some big boys

Well done!

Guest TreeBass
Nice one! How do those Asp fight?

They like to jump, and shake their heads alot, then its pretty much over. They seem to tire out quickly. Hopefully the big ones will start getting aggressive, these guys are the dinks of the bunch. we see alot larger carp and asp swimming around, I'm just going to have to get better at fooling them with the fly

Thanks for everyones comments