Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest TreeBass

07 Apr 09 Carp on Topwater

Guest TreeBass

So there I was with just an hour or so to wet a line. I stared out looking for feeders on the edges, but the area I was limited to produced nothing.

And then I saw them, sipping at the surface! I scambled to find something that would float long enough to get their attention, and remembered TerryRo sent a couple ants and knats.

So I tied on the biggest I had, a yellow ant beetle looking critter that floated.

I placed my cast carefully thru the reeds and let her sit. Then I saw a nice carp swing towards my little helpless beetle ant thing! So I gave a little wiggle to the tip of Deckhands 6 weight, and BAM!!

This little sucker hit it before the big guy could

Iraq07Apr09003.jpg

So I reeled up and played him away from the reeds and brought him to shore.

Ok, so I'm just a little excited at this point, since this is my first on topwater. My cast was less than desireable, and went way off target I let it sit anyway, since a bad cast is a cast, and it was still in the water. No takers..

After a few more casts with zero results, I see some swirls in the reeds. Now you have to imagine, these reeds are about 7ft high, and a mess to cast into the openings. So, I did the next best thing, I chunked it past the swirl right on the edgeline. Waited.....twitched....waited....twitched....and BAM! Fish on!!

This little guy was not happy at all with getting stuck! He took off like a freight train and started pulling line off the reel!

He wasn't the big guy, but he sure thought he was. Good times

Iraq07Apr09005.jpg

nice one, thanks :rolleyes:

Guest TreeBass

Thanks guys, its exciting to have caught them on topwater, and hopefully they will get bigger. We are puzzled as to where the larger fish are hiding, we see them in areas we cannot fish so we know they are there. Plus we caught 12-20lbs size last time on conventional gear. Hopefully as it warms up things will be better