Carp Anglers Group Forums
mcmcarper

Wat is the best approach for fly carping?

You can do everything right in the wrong place and still not catch anything, you can screw up a lot of stuff in the right spot and catch fish. I drive around most weeks and look at water and look for fish and take temperatures. I prefer to sight fish, so if I don't see fish, I don't even get the line wet. Wish that some of the older threads on technique hadn't fallen off the face of the earth of bulletin board. Scouting is a good thing.

Guest Windknot

I do a fair amount of scouting and have found spots that typically hold feeding fish. I then go to these places when the sun is high and is behind me as I stalk the fish. However, I went to one such spot yesterday but the wind was high and a good chop was on the water. The chop made it next to impossible to spot the fish. There were some carp jumping so I knew they were there. I decided to fish blind by casting out and slowly retrieving my san juan worm. I was rewarded with a fish, although most of my other carp I have caught have been sight fished. The first thing to do is get rid of any bias you have against carp being trash fish because I know I have a much easier time catching other species such as bass, walleye and pike than I do catching carp. Keep working at it and you will be greatly rewarded!!