Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Butcher

Winter in South Africa

Guest The Butcher

Hallo all

Catching carp on fly in winter here is alot more dificult than in summer. Our water are is milky,cold and the carp LAZY!! Iwent this morning and i only see 4 carp feeding,but no luck. I supose in the milky water they dont see the fly that easy. Isnt there something u can spray on 4 some sent that they can find there way 2 the fly? Most of the time i use a carp bugger fly. Someone got some suggestions on flys that work well 4 u in winter time?

Tight lines

Guest Carpenter 07

Great Mario, maybe you could add some drug war photos for some excitement! :rolleyes:

I have fished in the Hex River Valley and surrounding areas quite a bit.

When I am fishing cloudy water I use flies tied with lots of tiny rubber legs, or anything that vibrates or pushes water when stripped. I have read posts of guys having luck with the san juan worm in cloudy water as well.

Great Mario, maybe you could add some drug war photos for some excitement! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I can top similar pics from SA... :yourock:

I usually fish small nymphs (size 8 or 10 and smaller) to carp in the winter. Yes they are more lethargic due to the colder water temps. You just have to be patient. Slow the retrieve down, add more finesse to the presentation, and use a slower sinking fly, one that will hang in "the zone" a bit longer. I try to avoid flashy patterns.