Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zoomie

Hello !

Thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself. I have lived in Northeast Tennessee for the last year. While chasing bass, I kept stumbling over these huge fish. Coming from a surf fishing background and enjoying getting yanked around by large fish, I started lurking here trying to understand baits, gear, and presentation.

During the last month, I got into a mere 12 pounder as an incentental catch. I was expecting a much smaller fish. The carp was kind enough to go on a blistering run, snatching me off the bank and laying me out like a garage sale on the river bottom. After collecting glasses and hat, I managed to drag him/her in. From this day forward, it was both love and war for the mighty carp.

Due to many wading trips and spending 3-4 days per week on the river, I have seen many 20-30 pounders meandering about. I have seen no less than 5 fish that had to be four feet in length. I have also witnessed a number of folks who got hooked up and spooled with some very sound gear. There are monsters in here and I intend to catch a few !

While I am still totally clueless about these fish, I have learned so much on this site (my wife refers to me as a carp voyeur), I felt appropriate to become a member.

I look forward to learning. I am very passionate about chasing fish. Please be patient with what is sure to be a myriad of ridiculous questions.

Warmest Regards,

Zoomie

Welcome, Zoomie!

Feel free to ask anything you like. These guys are generally quite patient and informative, and just love to talk about carpin'! You mentioned wading trips...are you a flyfisherman? There is a dedicated section here for flyfishing for carp with some very talented anglers. Have fun and good luck!

Welcome, Zoomie!

Feel free to ask anything you like. These guys are generally quite patient and informative, and just love to talk about carpin'! You mentioned wading trips...are you a flyfisherman? There is a dedicated section here for flyfishing for carp with some very talented anglers. Have fun and good luck!

TY TY !

I do flyfish for trout. I also wade for bass which is pretty exciting. I will at some point pick up the buggy whip and attempt to catch a carp, but for now, I am just trying to become successful with conventional gear and learn the difference between a bolt rig and a hair rig !

My biggest problem right now is wading through the plethora of information on the site and attempting to discern info that is most critical to the region and river fishing.

Oh and, that is one heck of a fish in your pic.

Hi zoomie--Welcome to the site, you've come to the right place.Never be afraid to ask questions on this site.that's what it's for. We all had to start at the bottom and learn our way up.Sure hope to see some pictures of the big catchs.

Dave

I do flyfish for trout. I also wade for bass which is pretty exciting. I will at some point pick up the buggy whip and attempt to catch a carp, but for now, I am just trying to become successful with conventional gear and learn the difference between a bolt rig and a hair rig !

Just wait until they talk about using the hair rig with a bolt rig. :o

My biggest problem right now is wading through the plethora of information on the site and attempting to discern info that is most critical to the region and river fishing.

Well, the search function is your friend here. :rolleyes: And again, feel free to start a thread for questions. I haven't fished TN, but I know we have several members in the state.

Oh and, that is one heck of a fish in your pic.

Thanks! I know it's "just" a grass carp (amur) but I'm still quite proud of it. :yourock:

*edited because "fished" and "finished" are two entirely different things

Edited by chakram

Hi Zoomie,

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll soon know that a hair rig works best with a bolt rig.. :rolleyes:

NE TN ???, Johnson City ? Morristown ? White Pine ?? I'll be down to visit with the better halves folks next week... :yourock:

Hi Zoomie,

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll soon know that a hair rig works best with a bolt rig.. :yourock:

NE TN ???, Johnson City ? Morristown ? White Pine ?? I'll be down to visit with the better halves folks next week... :o

Kingsport, TN.

I'll figure out these rigs if it kills me. I need to order some stuff today to get it here prior to the weekend. Last weekend I caught fish that looked liked carp, only smaller ! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the board Zoomie. That is one of the best intro's I have seen. It makes me look forward to your upcomings posts.

Hi!

Zoomie...I'm new here myself and I can tell you that it won't be long before you will feel right at home. As your neighbor to the North, I welcome to the forum as well. I am finding out like you, that there is a lot to learn about the ins and outs of the modern day Carp angler and the tackle he/she uses and I truly believe that we are both in the right place for that.

-Vic

I have read some of your adventures on another forum, and I know that you will fit into our group very well. I look forward to fishing with you, and hope I get to see some of those 4 foot carp :rolleyes: Thanks for joining us! Will be glad to help with any of your questions.

Hi Zoomie,

I have fished in your general vicinity and agree that there is a lot of potential as there is in a lot of areas of Tennessee.

Welcome to the group and we look forward to hearing of your adventures :rolleyes: