Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cubzzz

why did the maze turn the bucket black -

I have been making maze in a 5 gallon buckets. One bucket is still ok and did not turn black but the other bucket is black and the corn smells bad - the other bucket smells but not as bad. I just added sugar and maze to both buckets. I am going to use the maze this Saturday and want to know what the black stain is on the inside of the bucket. I also can not get the smell off my hands after 1 shower and 3 times washing my hands - yikes this stuff is nasty. The next time I make maze I am not going to add sugar.

Thanks for your help

Jeff

sounds like you fermented some super funk. the black stuff is mold. I've left just a tad bit of old particle sit i nthe bottom of a bucket for so long, the mold and bacteria turned to black powdery dust.

Be careful, you might have created a WMD.

The entire inside of the bucket is black? Weird. Maize will often mold over on the top, but if you keep it covered with liquid the maize itself should be fine. The sugars convert to alcohol, acting as a preservative and accounting for the whiskey smell. Just scoop off the mold and use like normal. Might want to invest in a bait spoon (or at least a slotted cooking spoon :rolleyes: ) to avoid having to touch it too much. :yourock:

Is the maize still yellow?

sounds like you fermented some super funk. the black stuff is mold. I've left just a tad bit of old particle sit i nthe bottom of a bucket for so long, the mold and bacteria turned to black powdery dust.

Be careful, you might have created a WMD.

Done that :rolleyes:

the best way to clean the bucket is to fill with water and add some bleach, it kills everything and restore the color to the bucket

Jeff -- watch out there buddy -- brewing moonshine might be illegal in SC :rolleyes::yourock: Sounds pretty weird, and I don't think I'd personally feed it to the fish?? (Wouldn't want another Benson "episode" now - would we!!) Maybe try some on your 'ducky friends' first :P:o If it is mould, beware!! The spores can be pretty toxic - if inhaled.

Tight Lines,

Brid.

Edited by Brid

what ever u do dont feed that to fish !!!!!! how long has it been siting? u need to boil your maize the night before use, other wise frezz it!!!

i never leave maize sit for more then a night or 2 after i boil it. an wash your buckets good before use any time they get funky.

Edited by zachatree

what ever u do dont feed that to fish !!!!!! how long has it been siting? u need to boil your maize the night before use, other wise frezz it!!!

i never leave maize sit for more then a night or 2 after i boil it. an wash your buckets good before use any time they get funky.

I have used maize that was many months old and never frozen. Was hauling when other people werent catching. I always caught a lot using it. You dont have to boil the night before.

Guest phonebush

cub,

Not saying it is FOR SURE but black is the color associated with a fungal invasion of aflatoxin. Aflatoxin (google for explanation) is extremely fatal to fish and for that matter fatal to humans. I implore you - DO NOT MESS WITH THIS STUFF !!

As a safety precaution I would even be careful how I disposed of the black corn and waste from cleaning the black bucket. Bleach is an excellent idea. I would pour bleach on the contents as well.

Black, in any form, is NOT a color associated with fermentation. Besides, fermented corn smells wonderful. Spoiled corn is yucky and black corn spoiled by aflatoxin is both yucky and EXTREMELY dangerous.

Phone

I use rotten maize quite often...One time I left a little bit of maize sit in the sung in my bucket for a suuper long time. One day I decide to open the bucket, besides getting knocked off my feat and slightly drunk from the smell I also started a little corn farm that I didnt know about! :rolleyes: I had a few stalks growing inside...sadly I had to clean it out!

After making it I put what I'm not going to use into the fridge in the 1 gallon ziploc bags, it stays good for a handfull of weeks. Thank goodness my wife is easy going :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help - I did boil the maze last night. The bucket does not come clean even with bleach. I did not read about the mold and the fish are fine - this is a small lake and all is well. I did not boil the one bucket of maze = mold but the other bucket I did boil the maze and it had no mold - you guys know your stuff.

Jeff

Guest phonebush

cub,

Let me leave you with "don't use black". I'm glad everything turned out OK for both you and the carp. You're right, certain plastics are made with grain by-products. I doubt if the black will ever come out. But if you've washed the bucket with bleach (about a cup of bleach to a galllon of water) everything will be OK.

Tomcat,

Fermented, (rotton because of fermentation) is good bait. To bad you didn't get to use it. Corn can also spoil without fermentation. This corn is still OK for fishing. Just don't use black.

Phone

The bucket does not come clean even with bleach.

Jeff

fill the bucket with water add a cup or two of bleach and leave overnight, that should get rid of the black tint

Guest SWMO
I have used maize that was many months old and never frozen. Was hauling when other people werent catching. I always caught a lot using it. You dont have to boil the night before.

Same here, done it for decades. The black is troubling and I agree with Phone, its probably something that needs to be exterminated. I would fill the bucket, corn and all with a strong bleach solution and then after dumping it, rinse with a vinegar solution a couple of times.

You probably had a piece of corn, or several, infected with the mold.

had that happen last year!

clean it up with lots of bleach!

A few dark pieces in an old corn bag is what did it.

They had a little mold on them.

wet

boil corn put into pail right after the cooking is done so that it is still scorching hot *very carefully* then put lids on. don't open till you're ready to use it. should stay good. use clean pails too, maybe sterilize with hot water first to ensure no bacteria and left over substance