Carp Anglers Group Forums
Clay34

hat handed to me

The weather was a nice day, in the mid 40s F for Wis in Nov is a nice day so off I go chasin' carp. At first I had troubles locating the fish. Finally found them and proceeded to throw the kitchen sink at them with no takers. Yes, I put a fish in the net and had another one on but both of those were fould hooked and that is not what I was after. I write this one down in the log as getting skunked. I found fish, lots of fish, just my normal presentations didn't work.

Thinking back on it maybe I needed to go much lighter not only in tippet size but smaller in fly size. I do have some patterns tied up on Mustad 90Rs which are in size 14 and 4X strong.

So you other guys in cooler weather what patterns are doing well for you in the fall. My normal go to buggers, sjw, and multiple nymphs all struck out today. It was nice to be fishing though so life isn't so bad.

Guest Lee Baermann

Man, there are so many cliches that cover this as we have all run into lock jawed fish but I have found that ***t happens to cover it best. I have had clients out on the beach and we see schools of barred surf perch but get not hits in 5 hrs. They'll ask why and I always answer that I can give them the most scientific answer I know.............then I shrug my shoulders. LOL

Keep at it.

Man, there are so many cliches that cover this as we have all run into lock jawed fish but I have found that ***t happens to cover it best. I have had clients out on the beach and we see schools of barred surf perch but get not hits in 5 hrs. They'll ask why and I always answer that I can give them the most scientific answer I know.............then I shrug my shoulders. LOL

Keep at it.

It use to happen to me a lot more frequently early on Lee. These days, most of the time, I find fish I can finagle a couple. Today I couldn't buy a fish in a very large fish market. Frustrating, but that's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'.

If it weren't for days like this it wouldn't make it so sweet when you finally do unlock the puzzle.

up north, the fish were taking caddis nymphs today Rick. I snagged a cottonwood leaf on the bottom and when I unhooked it, I found a few green caddis curled up and crawling around. This pattern did well for me, I call it the Tobacco Caddis.

rootbeercaddis.jpg

up north, the fish were taking caddis nymphs today Rick. I snagged a cottonwood leaf on the bottom and when I unhooked it, I found a few green caddis curled up and crawling around. This pattern did well for me, I call it the Tobacco Caddis.

rootbeercaddis.jpg

Just came back from chasin' the salmon and steelhead and they treated me the same way the carp did, but that is another story for a different BB.

I'll have to try your green caddis pattern JP, is that in about a size 12 or 14? Alwyas appreciate a push in the right direction from people that are in a similar geographical area. Guys in TX just don't deal with the hard water like we do. It feels like TX in southern Wisconsin today. Almost 70 in Nov is rare air indeed. beautiful, bluebird sky, not much for fishing though. Will try the carp again within the next few days and report back.

the flies in the photo were in the size 10 to 12 range, but then again, you know I like the short shank/oversize hook to get more "bite" out of my flies. probably closer to the 12-14 range in true size like you suggested.

Roughfisher, what hook are you using for those? Nice gape in a smaller hook size? Guessing TMC from the length of the point.

I just looked in last year's journal and the last time that I carp fished in 2008 was mid September. This year, while things have been slow and frustrating I have fished and landed carp in Oct and November but this fishing is challenging. I now have a goal to land a carp in December in Wis on a fly.

I went out the other night. With the time change and this time of year it is pretty black out by 5 pm. I started fishing about 4:15 and it was very overcast to begin with. Polaroids didn't do me much good and before long I was casting into blackness. I hooked into 7 fish and some stayed on longer than others. I feel that each and everyone of them were fouled hooked, which tells me two things: I have the fish located and they are very inactive this time of year locally. I've been out a half doz times in the last two weeks and catching a fish that ate the fly has been tough. Almost like fishing for those other carp (salmon while spawing - you can catch very few that eat a fly, they are there for other reasons).

The only thing that I have caught fish on are rubber leg patterns. Streamer hook with cheneille and two sets of white rubber legs. Yesterday's fish came on an odd fly - a SJW with a single set of while rubber legs in hot pink (like I said, not a normal type of pattern)

I WORKED for very hard, so while there is nothing special about size, they were sweet indeed.

post-3296-1258733092.jpg

post-3296-1258733103.jpg

pretty sweet Rick. I agree that it has been a tough go over the past month getting willing takers of a fly. Rubber legged flies have been productive for me as well. My Sea Donkey pattern put me on a bunch of redhorse the other day.

cinnamonthoraxcraws.jpg

I also got a nice shorthead redhorse on my Darth Clam pattern. Last year I had more takers on this pattern, but to be honest, I probably fished it more too.

brownmarkertanfoamor5.jpg

Here's a step by step of the pattern if you're interested in tying it. I've had some BIG fish just crush this pattern. Other folks that have fished this pattern across the country have also mentioned that the carp just inhale this fly. Some of them almost gut hooked. Use caution while fishing this pattern!

Edited by roughfisher

pretty sweet Rick. I agree that it has been a tough go over the past month getting willing takers of a fly. Rubber legged flies have been productive for me as well. My Sea Donkey pattern put me on a bunch of redhorse the other day.

cinnamonthoraxcraws.jpg

I also got a nice shorthead redhorse on my Darth Clam pattern. Last year I had more takers on this pattern, but to be honest, I probably fished it more too.

brownmarkertanfoamor5.jpg

Here's a step by step of the pattern if you're interested in tying it. I've had some BIG fish just crush this pattern. Other folks that have fished this pattern across the country have also mentioned that the carp just inhale this fly. Some of them almost gut hooked. Use caution while fishing this pattern!

JP, don't know how I missed your response from almost a month ago, but after reading it looking forward to trying to tie some up. Nice pictorial on the how to. We start giving a begining fly tying class for our local TU the first Tuesday in Jan and the Intermediate class begins the first Thursday of the year. The vice is all geared up and ready to go. I visit your website often for wonderful inspirations for the tying bench. Still haven't had the chance to land a carp in Dec. Seriously bumbed!

Rick

Edited by Clay34

Roughfisher, I see you flatten the barbs on your hooks. I tell my flytying classes to flatten the barbs- easier to remove from the fish and easier to remove from yourself.

Roughfisher, I see you flatten the barbs on your hooks. I tell my flytying classes to flatten the barbs- easier to remove from the fish and easier to remove from yourself.

exactly, easier to pull back out of the skin when it gets embedded. I wish they sold more styles of barbless hooks and were more readily available at stores.

Skeet, I want to see if I can get you to post more. Us guys living where the water is hard right now have to live through others with some open water to satisfy the itch. I was going to welcome you aboard but I see you have been a member for a long time. Glad that you decided to come out of the closet.

Rick

Guest phonebush

Clay,

I don't belong here. I don't flyfish I've tried several times. It's like smoking a pipe. Way to fiddly. Anyway, why would I post on this thead?

I have to tell you, and I've posted this in the past, on several occasion I absoulty "killed" them, spring and dead of winter, on my famous bird poop pattern. Due to technical ignorance I don't do photos. But that's OK cause I don't have a camera either.

Here's the best I can describe the pattern. I had some small, real small, jig heads on hooks (probably 8's or10's as I rarely carry anything smaller) with a rather long spine (for fly fishing hooks). I used a black and a yellow highlighter near the jig head and a tear drop shaped piece of white styrofoam coffee cup the length of the spine with a black piece of thread dangling.

It's not fair, the fish I caught in the spring. They were caught under a bridge where native birds roost. The fish I caught in the winter months the fish had a pretty level playing field and I have to proudly say the outcome was in my favor. Not only my favorite fly but my only fly.

The size (width) of the tear drop determines the "level and sinking speed" where you want to fish.

I always like to read the flyrod carping threads. You guys are so serious!!

Phone

Clay,

I don't belong here. I don't flyfish I've tried several times. It's like smoking a pipe. Way to fiddly. Anyway, why would I post on this thead?

I have to tell you, and I've posted this in the past, on several occasion I absoulty "killed" them, spring and dead of winter, on my famous bird poop pattern. Due to technical ignorance I don't do photos. But that's OK cause I don't have a camera either.

Here's the best I can describe the pattern. I had some small, real small, jig heads on hooks (probably 8's or10's as I rarely carry anything smaller) with a rather long spine (for fly fishing hooks). I used a black and a yellow highlighter near the jig head and a tear drop shaped piece of white styrofoam coffee cup the length of the spine with a black piece of thread dangling.

It's not fair, the fish I caught in the spring. They were caught under a bridge where native birds roost. The fish I caught in the winter months the fish had a pretty level playing field and I have to proudly say the outcome was in my favor. Not only my favorite fly but my only fly.

The size (width) of the tear drop determines the "level and sinking speed" where you want to fish.

I always like to read the flyrod carping threads. You guys are so serious!!

Phone

Phone, thanks for your sharing your experiences in the fly fishing area of the board. Will encourage you to try one of these crazy sticks one more time. I know there are many videos out there these days but I have always enjoyed this one for encouragement:

I like it since I often fish in a park with a bike trail as my backcast. The regulars say hello as they approach me these days. I haven't caught a 180 pound biker yet but the potential is there :rolleyes: Edited by Clay34

Hey, fly-fishermen, let me remind you that this year, if you're the first angler to catch a carp on a fly, you will make it to the First Fishing Folly Hall of Fame!

Actually, this would be quite an achievement as I don't believe that in 7 years *anybody* caught a carp on a fly during the FFF (I might be mistaken, but I can't recall such a feat)... Don't forget to register to be able to claim such piece of glory though!

Jerome thanks for some motivation for us guys whipping line around. I did a spot check this morning in 34F, the river is running clear right now and the temps are such that the guides won't freeze up. Have to run some holiday errands with the wife but hopefully will be fishing this afternoon. Might be one of my last attempts at a carp in December for me. I think the window of opportunity is closing fast and it might be a pipe dream to catch a carp on a fly in Dec in Wis, but I want to give it a try. Boots, hand warmers, the Thinsulate hat and away I go. Thinking of 5 X tippet instead of my normal 2 or 3 X. For you non fly fishing guys that translates roughly into 4 pound test versus 10 - 12 pound line. Might take the 6 wt rod to play with the lighter tippet instead of the 7 wt. Again for non fly fisherman the bigger the rod number the heavier the rod in general. Think of a 3 as an ultra light and an 8wt for Salmon or bigger carp. I'm taking the camera even though I know the chances for success is slim.

Rick

Best laid plans didn't work out. Too many last minute Christmas stuff took us past 2:30 pm and then it was raining solid. Crushed my plans for the day - Again.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas.