Carp Anglers Group Forums
Neil Stern

are boilies over rated???

what do you use??  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would not waste your time dean, it's clear who the best anglers are in the country and what bait and tactics they employ. Some of these folks probably still think the earth is flat.

:offtopicicon:

Dean, to ensure people have a better understanding of you in future, and in a pathetic Southern English attempt at lightening the mood of this thread, I shall provide this useful link for everyone's benefit "Potteries Dialogue".

http://www.thepotteries.org/dialect1.html

I would not waste your time dean, it's clear who the best anglers are in the country and what bait and tactics they employ. Some of these folks probably still think the earth is flat.

Are you talking about anglers in a competitive environment or those that drive for hundreds of miles to jump into hot swims discovered by others?

You mean the swim you supposedly told Scott that me and Sean were rude to you mark? Even though you never were there or we have never met. But we can always arrange a meet if you would like? And for the record many anglers drive to swim jump, some of us do long campaigns on there driving long distances several times a month and have been for several years. Feel free to take this to pm mark, I'd be interested to know where you get your invisible powers from!

You mean the swim you supposedly told Scott that me and Sean were rude to you mark? Even though you never were there or we have never met. But we can always arrange a meet if you would like? And for the record many anglers drive to swim jump, some of us do long campaigns on there driving long distances several times a month and have been for several years. Feel free to take this to pm mark, I'd be interested to know where you get your invisible powers from!

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?? I've never seen or met you to my knowledge..nor have I ever suggested that I have...ya big fanny.

Are you talking about anglers in a competitive environment or those that drive for hundreds of miles to jump into hot swims discovered by others?

For the record Marc, I invited Parksy to fish this area, several months before the time frame you are referring to. I had been fishing the area and several others for the previous 2 years and I didn't jump into anyone's swim. I went up and explored the area(s) myself and met a couple of locals who were kind enough to show me a few general locations.If you really want to talk about swim jumping in this particular area I suggest you contact a certain American bait company as they really have taken it to a new level :)

I'm aware we have never met, so imagine my surprise when Scott is telling me different. Mind you we all know he's a man of his word lol

And define swim jumping? Visiting the swim once when some clown posts a big fish or driving 16 hr round trips ten times a year over a two year period at weekends to fish 36 hrs??? I'm done with this conversation guys, misinformed and frankly boring. Have fun with your porky pies.

I'm aware we have never met, so imagine my surprise when Scott is telling me different. Mind you we all know he's a man of his word lol

Once again, to clarify, I'm not in the habit of even claiming to have met people I haven't...much less relaying imagined conversations....I'm just not....unbelievable...

well if thats the case scott has taken his lies to a whole other level then and got you involved, either way neither of you are worth my energy

well if thats the case scott has taken his lies to a whole other level then and got you involved, either way neither of you are worth my energy

Yes, It must be draining driving all those miles and getting your panties all bunched about imaginary conversations...

Is it spring yet?

Not yet and long way to go

but winter is pretty HOT :)

post-4522-0-21714000-1391823968.jpgpost-4522-0-21714000-1391823968.jpg

btw. I want to buy a 20 lbs of puffs in fruit flavor to bait up my swim. Any suggestion where ???

This is funny all this on a ? Of whether boilies are over rated lol when really if uu don't catch on it of course it is and what u do catch on ain't and vise versa well me personally I have caught on them all, american made UK made no difference to me homemade fake real didn't matter jmho guys taking it crazy levels keep it up makes for good reading lol

it's not flat? wow

I am far from anti boilie and I'm sure they will work here I just haven't had luck with them yet. My question for you guys Craig, Brian, and Dean and any others that fish mainly boilies. Oh and Daniel obviously if I dump tons of boilies in the water they will get on them and see them as a food source NO CHIT.... So here in Idaho it's not legal to prebait and even if it was I can't afford to spend a ton of money on bait and nobody is going to give it to me for free. I don't mind spending money on some bait but I need the biggest bang for my buck. The only way (LEGAL) way for me to get extra bait in the water is using stringers or pva bags and it's kind of a gray area but technically legal since it goes out attached to the hook. Do you guys do a lot of prebaiting? What do you guys do when fishing a new water and one that has likely never seen a boilie and you can't prebait it. Feel free to send me a pm I am seriously interested in all your answers and this thread seems to have turned into a pissin match.

Idaho,

No chumming rules really do put restrictions on your fishing, no matter what bait you use. I have fished with similar rules in Rhode Island and I use ground bait (either molded around the lead or hook-bait) to get around these rules.

As far as boilie fishing, one of the most important factors is the quality of the bait. I prefer to make my own or buy high quality food baits, although I've caught plenty on ready-mades. Pre-baiting does help, the same as many other baits but a good boilie will be pretty instant. Baiting quantities depend on the length of your sessions. For most of my sessions I am fishing under 24 hours and if the fish are not active I might use as little as 100 baits, but if they are feeding I may use upwards of 10kg. I generally start the session looking for a bite, and then depending on the fish will either up my baiting or stay conservative.

As a rule of thumb I start with 20-50 baits over each rod and then top up after a fish. If the carp respond well I may then increase the bait quantities. If I am doing a longer session and am confident my location is correct I may start with a decent amount of bait, anywhere from 2-5kg which will be spread around a fairly large area. It may take some time for the fish to get onto the bait but once they do the action is usually thick and fast.

For most sessions I do not pre-bait. If I a confident in my bait and the location I know the fish will usually respond positively. Good luck if you try the boilie approach.

Thanks Dean I buy boilies from time to time but I usually make my own and when I lived in NY I fished the St. Lawrence at least one weekend every couple months and fished nothing but boilies like the way you describe and always did good. I'm just a bit frustrated with our no chumming laws. I know once the fish see the boilies as a food source they will become instant until then I will have to either buy or make some top quality baits and see how it goes.

Idaho - Feel free to PM me if you want a few decent home-made recipes or recommendations on decent store bought baits. I am not sponsored by any bait companies so my opinions are just that, my opinions. If I recommend something it's because I use it myself. You'll be better off making a decent bait as they are just as instant and work better over time. The high attract baits work, but over the long term a food bait will out fish them.

LOL !!!

I've reserved a "special spot in my heart" for them. I just didn't mention that in my post. :rolleyes:

After all, EVERY carp I've ever caught over 25 pounds has been on a doughball of some description.

Even today, I have been known to pull some doughballs out of my bag of tricks now and then, and I'll occasionally still catch on them.

Same here.

Old cornmeal doughball (or old yella, as we call it at the PA paylakes) has always been my favorite (probably a better word than "best") prepared carp bait, primarily because it's the first main carp bait I can remember using and catching with all those years back as a youngster. I still usually try and have old yella in my bait bucket, along with too many other baits when I go carpin'.

All the multitude of prepared baits (not to mention live/natural baits and artificials) us carpers throw at carp are typically made from the same base grains/ingredients, but in different forms and with different methods of preparation(homemade or commercial), leading to different kinds of presentation. The one that ends up being "best" is gonna vary with any given situation, as ya mentioned.

As for the boilies, well they are just doughballs of some sort before being boiled/steamed, so.........................

attachicon.gifimages.jpgattachicon.gifimages.jpg

btw. I want to buy a 20 lbs of puffs in fruit flavor to bait up my swim. Any suggestion where ???

Pawel. They are not bait. If I've told you once I've told you a hundred times, Puffs are pickups/lifters, NOT bait.... Only the boilie claims both...

Idaho/Brookesy, beloved Colorado is another no chumming State. I also deploy some pack/method around the lead attached to the line in an attempt to stay within the spirit of the regs. Will be trying some glugs this year to get some some more attractant out into the water. May also give some small pva bags/sticks some exercise with different mixes, pop-ups, etc.

According to the poll, sweet corn out of the can is better then the boilie. I would have to say, that I agree with these findings. ;)

attachicon.gifimages.jpgattachicon.gifimages.jpg

You could try here. Looks like the Hungarians are way ahead of the rest of Europe.

post-2981-0-73996900-1391874220_thumb.jp