Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest Lee Baermann

What do you use to keep ticks off?

Guest Lee Baermann

I haven't been pout lately in part I have been very busy on the beach but also the ticks are thick right now and I absolutely hate them. No matter how well I search, I always seem to bring one home with me. So what do you use to avoid these little buggers?

Plain ol' insect repellent. Go with 100% DEET but be careful with it around plastics, especially fly line. Some repellants will melt plastics. I remember old timers, when I was a kid, would sprinkle powdered sulfur in their socks and on their legs.

CarpDaddy!!

Fish with Rick and if there are 100 ticks in the vicinity then 101 of them will go for him instead of you.

I can wear shorts and sandals and remain tick-free while he is constantly brushing them off his whole body coveralls. :)

Iain

long pants and sleeves with deet on your wrists, neck and ankles.

Guest phonebush

Lee,

The problem is you fly guys knock them onto your bodies whilst (I love that word) stalking. Nothing can stop them getting onto your clothing when they fall on. Sulphur works to inhibit them staying on you and it is fish friendly. The problem with DEET and muskol (and several others) is that they also go by the name "fish-b-gone" as well as what Skeet says.

When you are in the timber, near water, you are just at risk. I believe Lyme Maine (where the disease was discovered) has a site with some suggestions. At least I once saw a little folder from there with suggestions.

Phone

I got lyme disease from a tick while stalking last year in THICK reeds. 2 suggestions, long thin material pants in the summer with some kind of neoprene wading boot, use packaging tape to close the gap from pant to shoe. Use velcro strap to keep long sleeve shirts tight at the wrist. This is what I had done when I got it, and that sucker STILL got in, bit me right where my tank top material starts under my armpit. Ive also heard a few drops of lemon oil works, as well as garlic tablets. Sweat carries the taste/smell, and the ticks as well as other biters don't like it.

Good luck, its a tough battle, but I can tell you firsthand YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH LYME DISEASE. I almost died in the ER..........NOT COOL

Guest KSFlatsLander

Treat your clothes with Permanone (Permethrin). The BEST stuff is the Army issue "shake and bake" kits - roll up two pair of jeans, add the requisite amount of water to each plastic bag, add the permethrin, add the jeans, seal and let the bag sit overnight. Next day, take 'em out, let them dry. Good for at least 10 washings.

You can also buy a spray can of it and spray your jeans well, maybe a couple of times. It works. Back when I was a real biologist I went to a small mammal trapping site and picked 140 ticks off me on the drive back and at home. Permanoned my jeans that night, and the next trip to the same place a couple days later - ZERO ticks.

Also, check yourself regularly. It takes hours for the spirochete that causes Lyme disease (or the one that causes ehrlichiosis, or the one that causes Rocky Mountain Spotted fever) to crawl out of the tick's gut, swim up the mouth parts and into your body. Some say about 8 hours. So, if you check yourself and pull off any hitchhikers every couple of hours, you're probably good.

One more thing - NEVER use heat or a chemical (nail polish remover, etc) to get a tick to release. Just use steady pressure. Chemicals and heat may cause the tick to puke - INTO your body.

Craig

. The problem with DEET and muskol (and several others) is that they also go by the name "fish-b-gone"

I have not had anyn issues withn this while using Muskol. Maybe if you have a ton of it all over your hands or something.......

Guest phonebush

King,

Should have said, that is, to a LARGE degree, a Phoneism. Can't say I have proof myself.

Phone

a really useful thread. thanks for all the info here. it was something i never really thought about until rick walker told me to check myself while fishing over your side. i don't think they are so common over here. that said the bailiff at one of the lakes i fish got struck down with lyme disease and was very very ill. he ended up in a nursing home.

CarpDaddy!!

Fish with Rick and if there are 100 ticks in the vicinity then 101 of them will go for him instead of you.

I can wear shorts and sandals and remain tick-free while he is constantly brushing them off his whole body coveralls. :)

Iain

When i fish with Skunker he out-ticks me by about 20 to 1 :P

On a more serious note, i'm allways paranoid about repellents as no matter how hard you try you cannot guarantee its not got near the bait by transfer, ie youve sprayed your clothes which you cant avoid touching and transfer it to all other items of tackle and it will get to bait. However i do carry some spray with me for when the ticks and mozzis insist on being number one priority :D .

Guest Lee Baermann

Thanks guys. This was in the local paper and I didn't need any help in being creeped out by ticks. Last time out for carp I brushed off my pants, took off my shirt and brushed it off, checked my boots and still had a tick drop off me in the shower. I got out and vacuumed the house and went back and shampooed my hair(I have long hair) because they freak me out so much.

I need to go out and cut a path through some heavy tall weeds to access the carp canal because it has grown so much so I may just wear my chest waders out to do that. Then I'll get some spray and go that route

"Two blood-filled female ticks are shown. The left is a Pacific coast tick and the right is a Western black-legged tick. Ticks can transmit Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever"

20100601-204933-pic-537342801_t607.jpg

Whats all the Hub bub Bub? Gof fishing, have a good time, be responsive enough to feel those critters before they bite, and don't give them a second thought. One would think a big boy like you just might have a phobia there??

Tom.

ps. been bitten many times, chit happens. I still don't let any bloodsuckers, two, four, six or eight legged, keep me in the house. :)

GUS

Guest phonebush

Everyone,

RE-READ KSFlatsLander POST. ESPECIALLY "HOW TO" REMOVE A TICK. I BELIEVE HIM AND I DIDN'T KNOW THAT???

Phone

Everyone,

RE-READ KSFlatsLander POST. ESPECIALLY "HOW TO" REMOVE A TICK. I BELIEVE HIM AND I DIDN'T KNOW THAT???

Phone

It all depends on how long the bloodsucker has been attached. :)

Everyone,

Phone

Yup, KS is spot-on.

p.s. Lyme, CT :D

p.s.s. thanks for the disgusting pics Lee :)

Guest The Old Carper

One needs to read Mr. Big's post and then ignore it. Why do some folks have be a total..... whatever he is, all the time? Ticks are NOT something to be ignored no matter what attitude some choose to take.

Guest Lee Baermann

I got a can of Maxi Deet from Sport Chalet so I'll try it out when I get back from Baja.

there is NO way you can "scrape" off deer ticks, they're barely visible, In the northeast at least you have to be VERY vigilant. While dog ticks don't typically carry lyme disease, they are easy to spot, deer ticks, not so much.

post-3807-1275884102.jpg

Wood ticks are common and turkey hunting, sitting on the ground in the spring in the woods and you can just expect them to feed on you. They really don't bother me so much. The deer ticks are the biggest Lyme carrier and they make my skin crawl. I try to be a tough guy, but I just don't like them. I have seen their effects first hand. Another outdoorsman I know was in his mid 50s when he came down with Lyme. He was a taller thin man to begin with and always in shape. I remember seeing him and asked him if woman and drink finally caught up to him, putting the crap on an old friend is just good sport you know. Anyhow he began to tell me about his adventures with Lyme. Last time I saw that man he looked about 25 years older than he actaully was. Damn shame indeed.

Be careful out there and buy something specifically for ticks. The Permanone is what the electrical line guys use that work in the field everyday. They are always in the tall grass and have a lot of expose. That's good enough of an endorsement for me.

Good luck and be safe everyone.

Rick

Guest KSFlatsLander

Just to be clear - permethrin is NOT to be used on the skin. It is a clothing treatment. And a damned effective one.

The deer tick (aka black-legged tick) Ixodes scapulara is more common in the east and northern Midwest, and is small and difficult to find and remove. Here in the lower Midwest and southeast we have the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum) which also has been documented to carry Lyme disease. Left coasters have I. pacificus (also called black legged tick) that carries Lyme disease.

But the nymphal stage of A. americanum is almost as small as an I. scapulara. I've found some this year that were tiny.

Bottom line - everyone needs to take measures to protect themselves, regardless of where they live or fish.

Lyme is not the only concern. Human ehrlichiosis, babesiosis, and RMSF are all things most of us should be concerned about. But don't stop fishing. Protect yourself. Check yourself at least every 8 hours (the generally accepted minimum time for the bacterium needs to swim into you). Watch for bullseye or other unusual rashes at the bite site.

I used to be a biologist and I have personally watched a tick under a microscope eructate (puke) when heat was applied to it. I'm not just passing along things I've heard or found on Wiki.

Craig

I believe Lyme Maine (where the disease was discovered) has a site with some suggestions. At least I once saw a little folder from there with suggestions.

Phone

Lyme disease originated in Lyme CT, where (many locals say) it came from a government research facility that can be seen from the shore @ Old Lyme.

Old Lyme CT is considered the epicenter of Lyme disease.