Carp Anglers Group Forums

"THE FIGHTING ROUGHFISH'S" Illinois Carp Championship

Guest THE BIG WORM

Frank,

IMO you are being a bit too picky. This event was set up very well. The only complaint I have heard from others was the size of the fish.

:)

The overnight fishing was an opportunity and part of the draw to this event. Overnight fishing gives participants an opportunity to seed an area and bring fish into their swim (European style). Otherwise you would be relying totally on the luck of the draw each day. Yes; end pegs are usually a factor in most tournaments (some more than others, i.e. Joliet), but in this tournament there were pegs in the center of the field that became competitive overnight.

The cost of the tournament at $100 per person, I also feel, is quite enough. There are other expenses involved that easily double that number; no need to add hotel rooms to that sum total.... Or if we were to camp, we might as well be fishing overnight. :D

Dan--My list is not one of complaints, nor am I implying that the event wasn't set up well. And my intention is not to nit-pick. I simply made suggestions that, in my mind, would improve the tournament; and, in doing so, I am hopefully encouraging others to comment substantively, as you did. It's Larry's tournament. He can do whatever he wishes with the suggestions and take them with whatever grain of salt he prefers. If next year's event is exactly the same as this year's, so be it. I'll still be in it. I truly believe that encouraging suggestions could provide some useful food for thought. I appreciate your opinions about overnight fishing and the cost of the tournament. I just don't agree with them, just as you may not agree with mine. But that doesn't matter. It's Larry's call. It's not a contest about who is right or who is picky or who is loyal; it's a forum for discussion--hopefully, meaningful discussion.--Frank

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping that Paul at Wacker Bait could order one for me, but I'm not sure he's an authorized St. Croix dealer.

I was a St Croix dealer but let it lapse. Will probably reinstate now that they have a couple of interesting rods. I did talk to St Croiz yesterday and they said after the first of the year for carp rods. Maybe, quite a bit after the first.

I was a St Croix dealer but let it lapse. Will probably reinstate now that they have a couple of interesting rods. I did talk to St Croiz yesterday and they said after the first of the year for carp rods. Maybe, quite a bit after the first.

Thanks for checking, Paul. The rep at St. Croix's Park Falls store told me the rods would be available in early to mid-October, but I would suspect that the timeline you were given is more accurate.--Frank

Frank,

I think it probably is very hard to put together a tournament that everyone can agree is setup using the best format. There are always pros and cons to ever suggestion for one reason or another. Unfortunately, on this forum, it is also very difficult to talk about this subject. For some reason the topic of tournament or League formatting seems to be a very volatile one. However, if you can find a way to start this conversation in a much more open minded environment away from the personal bashing, I would love to be part of it.

Paul

I know what you mean, Paul. I recall responses to your proposals about non-pegged events. Can't take it too seriously, though. It's carp fishing. :)

Thanks for checking, Paul. The rep at St. Croix's Park Falls store told me the rods would be available in early to mid-October, but I would suspect that the timeline you were given is more accurate.--Frank

I received the first 24 from the first production batch this week... the Senior Stewards from the 2010 WI CC will think that Christmas has come early this year... :)

I've also been in contact with the folks at St. Croix this morning; both 12 and 9-6 rods are still on target for early October delivery to dealers placing orders NOW. While there's always a risk that some components may not come into stock in time (for example, these rods do have the 2010 New Release Fuji Black Alconite Carp Guides; let's hope Fuji anticipated the demand!), I'm fairly confident that St. Croix will be close to this target date.

A couple of answers to rumors and concerns:

1. The 12 footer is $280, is of course hand-crafted in Park Falls, WI, and has state-of-the-art fittings, as well as some very advanced design and engineering principles underneath the skin. It also carries St. Croix's Lifetime Warranty. It's no secret that I've replaced my UK rods (made in China, of course) in 2.75, 3.00, 3.25, and 3.50 tc's with this one rod. The price for 3 Avid's is $840, and the 12 rods cost me around $2,800... Seems relatively cheap to me to go with the more versatile, hand-crafted, American-made, high quality products. :D

2. I've been seriously thinking about a 12-6 "Big River/Long Cast" rod, but it isn't even at the design stage yet. I may start design work later this year, but that would mean a 2012 delivery date at the earliest... I'm very picky about my prototypes!

3. The 9-6 rod is just simply the one rod I would buy, if I could only afford one rod. I believe it's the most versatile big fish rod I've ever designed.

4. What do I get from the deal? I have 24 rods (awards for Stewards and rods for folks to "try before they buy"), and the satisfaction of knowing that my time and money spent in R&D and lots of testing (the FUN part!) has paid off with the first Carp Rods exclusively designed and hand-crafted in the US. And yes, I'm biaised... but I think they are good!

Edited by Lee Young

• 2 weeks later...
Here's an 11th suggestion about the tourney, just for you and your broken heart (maybe Michigan organizers will consider this also :) ):

11. If someone has to leave the tournament early, another competitor may not take his peg or use his leftover bait. :D:P

We're listening! Seriously though, I had a few complaints about that, and that will change for next year. That was my first year putting on the Saginaw tournament, so hopefully I'll get all the kinks worked out.