Carp Anglers Group Forums

Guest SWMO

True, caught on rod and reel upstream from the Columbia Bottoms on the Missouri river. 4c45fb994960f.image.jpg

Asian carp are good for something...catching world record bluecats! Apparently the guy used one that jumped in his boat (so legend says)...

http://www.thecatfishnation.com/forum/show...7638&page=2

Someone you know is trying to make sure that everyone on catfish nation understand the distinctions between different "Carp" (see post #20) :)

macfish here. I just found out about it tonight. The guy who caught it is currently an unemployed surveyor who also had the Missouri state rod and reel record for blue cat at 103#. He sounded pretty confident and didn't strike me like somebody who just broke the world record. I can't imagine having a World Record. Jonathan

macfish here. I just found out about it tonight. The guy who caught it is currently an unemployed surveyor who also had the Missouri state rod and reel record for blue cat at 103#(what was said on the video). He sounded pretty confident and didn't strike me like somebody who just broke the world record. I can't imagine having a World Record. Jonathan

Earlier in the evening I watched a video about the fish which Fox News had produced which was being shown on Yahoo. Now I can't seem to locate it but there is this article on the fish:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2010072...op-world-record

I think the world record is 142 lb., caught in the Mississippi River near Alton, Illinois. I'll check and see. Just did a Bing search and the catfish was 124 lb.! Got the numbers reversed. Anyway, both are real big fish. Can you imagine how many hushpuppies you would need for a fish fry?

Edited by skeet3t

Actually there were bigger blues caught way back when, not sure how but there were reports of blues over 150. If I can dredge up the story a 150 was sent to the Smithsonian in like the 1800's but due to no refrigeration worth a damn back then it spoiled.

But theres no doubt that thing is a MONSTER and the guy is to be commened!

Found it!

"Graeber turned to trotlines. In a 1931 interview, he reported that he took his biggest blue, 145lbs, on a 3lb. carp. Other reports list blues of 150-177lbs. from the Kansas River during that era."

"In Nov. 1879, the U.S. National Museum recieved a 150lb. blue cat caught in the Mississippi River near St. Louis. Dr.J.B.W. Steedman sent the specimen, he purchased in the St.Louis fish market.. With it,he sent the following message to Profeesor Spencer F. Baird, U.S. Commissioner of Fish and Fisheries: "Your letter requesting the shipment to you of a large Mississippi catfish was recieved this morning. Upon visiting our market this P.M. I luckily found two-one of 144lbs., the other of 150lbs. The latter I ship to you by express"

Not sure where I got the spoilage from???? Maybe mistaken on that???

Edited by possum

Tons of big cats scattered all over the country, and a great challenge as well.

TN had a WR for a short time at 112 lbs and a 130lb cat was commercially caught many years ago. I have not fished for big cats in a while, but they are a lot of fun.

macfish here. Here is the Yahoo link with the video from Fox News which must be a Fox affiliate local TV station. A friend from St. Louis said the Columbia Bottoms Conservation Area is close to St. Charles, MO. Enjoy! Jonathan

By the way, the name of the guy is Greg Bernal and his lady partner is Janice Momphard.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fi...-catch-20984569

Possum, I had also heard of other even larger blue cats in the neighborhood of 250lbs caught during the mid 1800s. I don't know if there is any truth to that or if it is just an example of dissimulation/distortion/fabrication.

Awesome fish! I have to go down south for those beasts one of these days!

Guest phonebush

All,

As I have said all along. The Missouri River is a vastly superior fishery today, 2010, than it was when I was a kid 1950. Maybe in the pre-WWII era and certainly in the years long before that the river held some huge fish. If for no other reason than oldtimers can tell a "good fish story or two". We had the occasional "big fish" but actually more specimen are being caught now than ever before (and just a ton of specimen catfish guys now practice C&R).

We often find it is in "vogue" to badmouth the regulators. In this case, the Missouri River, conservation, environmental regulations, and good state and federal management have really saved a national treasure.

Phone

(Possum, You want to hear my story about the one that got away in 1954? We had to choose between saving my pal Albert, the little fat kid it was eating whole or catching the fish).

Back in the olden days, no one really was concered about keeping records or weighing fish. I remember seeing pictures of a sturgeon taken in the Pacific NW. One sturgeon was put in a horsedrawn wagon. The head was at the front and the tail was touching the ground. Figure how long it was! The largest catfish I ever saw was taken by my grandfather's neighbor. Blackie held the head even with his and the tail touched the ground. Blackie was about 5' 6" to 5' 9". Oh yes, caught in Wills Creek, Guernsey Co., Ohio.

Awesome fish! I have to go down south for those beasts one of these days!

PM me know when "one of these days" comes up...I can recommend some top-notch guides on the James. I've remained in touch with them despite having "left the nest"; i tow my own rig down every spring.

did they say how old was that fish

it will be nice once they reach 100+ in Potomac

Guest SWMO
Maybe in the pre-WWII era and certainly in the years long before that the river held some huge fish.

My grandpa used to fish the Missouri pre WWII and I've seen pictures of some very big Blues. I can remember there were two pictures of fish that were slightly over 100 lbs. One was 103 I believe and the other one close to that.

did they say how old was that fish

it will be nice once they reach 100+ in Potomac

Not sure how long blues have been in the James but they are already at 100lbs.

Guessing here but the timeline for the Potomac should mirror the timeline from the James!

Possum, You want to hear my story about the one that got away in 1954? We had to choose between saving my pal Albert, the little fat kid it was eating whole or catching the fish.

Yea tell me about it! I figure I would have let Albert get ate and caught the big fish. Big fish are rare, fat Alberts not so much! :)

Not sure how long blues have been in the James but they are already at 100lbs.

Guessing here but the timeline for the Potomac should mirror the timeline from the James!

I have no data about James or Potomac but I think they stocked Potomac in early 90's

Guest phonebush

Addy,

Are you talking about the James River in Florida? I didn't even know that river had Blue Catfish. Where's the Captain? I believe that neck of the woods is his boyhood home.

Frankly, Skeet is right. Not many were concerned, well, certainly we didn't have the "internet" to put the word out even if we did want to "show off". Mostly friends and family saw the fish and even then, you were just considered lucky - not good. Heck, just like now, even in those days you didn't want the little local newspaper to "report" on your honey hole if you were a serious catfisherman.

So as not to get our "catfish" families as confused as our "carp" families - I have to say I remember a lot more big Flathead Catfish than I remember Blue Catfish. Flatheads are better eating but a 100 lb Flathead was 75 lbs of head (Phone exageration!).

As CARP guys - that is common carp guys - we have to stop lumping all altogether ourselves. The guy in this thread used a Silver Carp as bait. Those are the Asian Carp that jump into boats, Silver Carp. They, Silver Carp are a real pain in the butt for the pleasure boat industry - and probably dangerous because of this jumping response to outboard motors. (Has anyone ever heard of a water skier getting injured?)

Anyway, I don't know much about Silver Carp other than the fact they are "different" from Bighead Carp - although both are Asian Carp.

Phone

I have no data about James or Potomac but I think they stocked Potomac in early 90's

heres what I dredged up!

"Blue catfish have been in the James River system less than 30 years, having been introduced in the mid-1970s. Greenlee's records show that the species did not really take off until the mid- to late 1980s and early 1990s."

See whole article here: http://www.virginiagameandfish.com/fishing...5_02/index.html