Carp Anglers Group Forums

PhoneBush, fly fishing ain't fiddly

MrP

This past week I hooked six Grass Carp on the fly. I got three of them to the net. In my blog I just posted an explanation of how it is we are allowed to fish for Grass Carp at one lake in Washington and pictures of the fish. I also posted pictures of my new, creative, jazzy, exotic, super amazing, ultra sexy, Grass Carp Fly which accounted for all six hookups.

PhoneBush, you say that fly fishing is, "too fiddly for you, like smoking a pipe." Check this fly out Phone. It ain't fiddly. Next thing you know, you'll be fly fishing, tying flies, smokin' a pipe and expounding on the merits of Latakia and Perique. :)

http://themrpblog.blogspot.com/

Guest phonebush

MrP,

I liked that alot!

Flyfishing being too fiddly is an excuse for my ________ (fill in the blank). You guys really do have my complete admiration.

Phone

Guest Lee Baermann

"PhoneBush, you say that fly fishing is, "too fiddly for you, like smoking a pipe.""

Do I look like "fiddly"?

Here I am after winning ugliest Hawaiian shirt at a Harley event

CopyofIMGP0526.jpg

Giving a surf fly fishing presentation at a Bass Pro

basspro-Copy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. P,

Earlier this year tied up some flies for Grass Carp that look just like your "real grass" flies...except I used peacock herl instead of the grass. Looks pretty similar, but I honestly haven't put it in front of any grass carp yet, so I don't know if they'd be fooled by the imitation or not. I DO know that in one pond the grass carp go NUTS feeding on grass that gets shot into the water when the lawn around the pond gets mowed...

The difference would be that the fresh-mowed grass generally floats on the surface of the pond, whereas I'm pretty sure my peacock herl fly would sink (without adding floatant, anyway). I tried it again with some green foam tied to the hook shank, but my initial efforts still didn't use enough foam to float it. Back to the vise.

• 11 years later...

Hello you people, joining you from U.K. Does anyone know what’s happened to phone/phone bush?

I know this thread is old but I enjoyed his chatter on our forum, he was unwell a while ago but nearly a year has passed since ‘seen’ thanks.

3 hours ago, MikefromUK said:

Hello you people, joining you from U.K. Does anyone know what’s happened to phone/phone bush?

I know this thread is old but I enjoyed his chatter on our forum, he was unwell a while ago but nearly a year has passed since ‘seen’ thanks.

Sadly Phone passed away last year. We are running an obituary in the next issue of the NACA magazine.

10 hours ago, Savayman said:

Sadly Phone passed away last year. We are running an obituary in the next issue of the NACA magazine.

That saddens me as it will others on this side of the pond.

If at all possible can you copy me the obituary or give a link?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Here is the Obituary that was posted in a local newspaper.

William “Bill” Warder, 80, passed away Monday, July 12, 2021, at St. Luke’s Northland Hospital. Bill was born April 20, 1941, in Independence, MO to Robert Lee and Lucille Jeanette (Ward) Warder. Bill was a graduate of the William Crisman High School in Independence. He was owner/operator of Air Freight Central located at the Kansas City International Airport for over 30 years, until his retirement. For many years, Bill was an active member of the Weston, MO community, and will be fondly remembered as an enthusiastic umpire by the local ball players and fans. He was a member of the Weston Masonic Lodge #53 A.F. & A.M. and was an avid fisherman and golfer. Bill was preceded in death by his parents; and his first wife Phyllis (Reeves) Warder. He is survived by his current wife Natalyia Valentinovna Denisova; his children Kristie Reese of Phoenix, AZ, Brooke (Eric) Mosier of Weston, Meghan (Dave) Lowry of Fernandina Beach, FL, Jay (Tracie) Warder of Maryville, MO, and Elizabeth Warder of K.C., MO; grandchildren G. Brandt (Lauren) Schlick, G. Benjamin (Jessica) Schlick, G. Baxter Schlick, Whitney D. Warder, Jenson R. Lowry, Devin J. Lowry, and William R. Lowry; great grandchildren, (who called him “The Wizard”), Dexter Schlick, Liberty Schlick, Marlowe Schlick, Rylan Gardner, Blake Gardner, Adam Schlick, Lucas Schlick, Jacob Schlick, Remi Moran, River Moran, Rhrett Moran, Aria Moran, Piper Moran, Jax Moran and Avery Hamrick; brother Robert A. (Dora) Warder of Raymore, MO; and numerous cousins, nieces, nephews, and extended family and friends. Following cremation, a memorial service will be held at a later date. Memorial contributions can be given to the Weston Sports Association in c/o Shane Davis.