Carp Anglers Group Forums

Float Fishing

Guest Paul Pezalla

Guest Paul Pezalla

For you folks fishing the CA float-only tournament as well as others who want to try something new...

Wacker Bait & Tackle just added a float fishing section. We are still building stocks but do have a couple of fine Fox float rods and a selection of top-of-the-line center (centre) pin reels. I am talking to the St. Croix rep next week and will probably be adding a few of their rods.

Float fishing is an absolutely devasating way to catch carp. With a dedicated float rod and a ceter pin reel, you are able to have excitment comparable to catching carp on fly gear without the without the horrible inefficiency of that method. Also, center pin reels are the most beautiful pieces of fishing gear in existance. reason enough to give this methood a try.

Paul Pezalla

Wacker Bait & Tackle

Guest Sean Manning

Paul,

I couldn't agree more - float fishing for carp is probably one of my personal favorite methods....with no lead to drag around hooking a 20lb + carp at your feet with a light rod.....is like holding on to a steam train....there is nothing quite like it !!!! :D:D:D

Best

Sean :D

Guest Paul Pezalla

Sean,

Yates' book, The Secret Carp, was a turning point for me. Really changed my philosphy and made me more receptive to approachs like float fishing. I decided it was time to get off the recliner and get a little more involved in the process.

Paul Pezalla

Guest Sean Manning

Paul,

I was just adding to the 'book' thread I think when you posted this about the very same subject...."The Secret Carp" is probably my personal favorite....chris is an incredible talent and he really can capture the feeling and get it down on paper....definitly one of my personal heroes in the Carp 'literature' department....not to mention his Angling abilities !!....there is a spectaular shot of him in the 'controversial' Carp! book with his record fish ....that is a truely inspiring piece of photography with the green grass surrounding him and the fish that looks to be carved from a piece of bronze.......the look on his face....says it all :D :D

Imaging hooking that monster at your feet with a centrepin and a float set up - now that would be heart stopping !! :D:D:D

Best

Sean :D

it's good to see that float fishing is getting some

exposure lately, as you mention Sean there's nothing

like a 20lb on a light rod, the tip of the rod almost touching

the handle, it's awesome

Happy days,

Glad to see that some of you are getting tuned in to the delights of float fishing.

Here's a nice 10lb'er caught on light waggler gear,when i say light I'm talking 3lb reel line with a 1·5lb hooklength and a 20 hook

009679.jpg

Guest Sodbury Steve

Miguel

corker mate. :D

Todd, I'm sure we've crossed on this but I don't believe a centrepin is necesary for stillwater fishing. Great for trotting a float though. Much as I love Yateseys writings ( how many times has Secret Carp been in my bag for reading - too many to count ) and bow down to him as a great angler, I find his approach a little puritanical at times and I'm not sure if its some kind of inverse snobbery on his part.

Head down, here come the bullets :D:D