Carp Anglers Group Forums

new record gold fish

bailybird

Guest phonebush

All,

This one is running twice. See frogfish's thread "Koi carp catch in the news".

It calls the same pic a koi.

Phone

Edit: (for the record, I would not be surprised if it (this one) is a fake). It falls on the heels of the 6lb English RECORD goldfish story Gefilta posted about a week ago (I forget the name of that thread)

Edited by phonebush

Great looking fish one way or the other! I say Why NOT???????? In the waters that I fished in Germany, the use of large Goldfish is almost normal for some of the anglers. The Hecht and Zander seem to LOVE them! As a rule, your bait must be DEAD to fish legally, but I am aware of many that have been fished alive! One getting away or released could possibly grow and become the size that this one is. We do not hear all the stories about captures in Europe as most of us do not read the Euro Mags. The bottomline is, this is possible and most likely will happen again!

HOPPY4

Well the fish pictured in the story is obviously a koi, there is a barbel by its mouth. Goldfish don't have barbels.

Spoon,

The fact remains, if the Goldfish servive, then why not the Koi?? During the floods of the "06" and "07" years, many private ponds and lakes were over flooded by the rivers and Koi, Goldfish and other species were released into the river system. Some I would think have servived.

HOPPY4

Edited by HOPPY4

Great looking fish one way or the other! I say Why NOT???????? In the waters that I fished in Germany, the use of large Goldfish is almost normal for some of the anglers. The Hecht and Zander seem to LOVE them! As a rule, your bait must be DEAD to fish legally, but I am aware of many that have been fished alive! One getting away or released could possibly grow and become the size that this one is. We do not hear all the stories about captures in Europe as most of us do not read the Euro Mags. The bottomline is, this is possible and most likely will happen again!

HOPPY4

I also don't see any reason to doubt the truthfulness of the story. Koi are carp so they can get very big too, right? Isn't there a world record 90 lb koi in Japan? Compared to that, this koi is nothing.

I also don't see any reason to doubt the truthfulness of the story. Koi are carp so they can get very big too, right? Isn't there a world record 90 lb koi in Japan? Compared to that, this koi is nothing.

This fish was reported to be the Worlds Largest at the time and it was sold for a reported $100,000.00 to someone in NY! The story was some 3-4 years ago.

HOPPY4

post-75-1284048345.jpg

Edited by HOPPY4

This fish was reported to be the Worlds Largest at the time and it was sold for a reported $100,000.00 to someone in NY! The story was some 3-4 years ago.

HOPPY4

That is still probably the largest koi in the world. She is called "The Big Girl" and when that story broke, I think she was 120 cm long and weighed 90 lbs....don't know her measurements today, though.

That is still probably the largest koi in the world. She is called "The Big Girl" and when that story broke, I think she was 120 cm long and weighed 90 lbs....don't know her measurements today, though.

Barbelfoat,

I got to wondering what other info I could find and take a look:

HOPPY4

Koi are indeed the exact same specie as our beloved Commons and Mirrors, just colour variations. So yes, they can get very large too. Stunning fish, but not a Goldfish though.

The fish is just so bright that it makes the pic a tad weird, but this is all real. Raphael Biagini is a well known carp angler in France, who caught numerous exceptional fish and regularly contributes to local magazines. Kudos to him for landing this amazing fish. As a side note, multiple 40 pounds koi have been caught in Europe.