Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ifishalot

We Got Shot!

My friend, Gary, often tells a story about how he was shot while out fishing on his boat a few years ago. During small game season, Gary and another friend were enjoying a morning on the water fishing for walleyes when they heard a few shots fired. Suddenly they were being sprayed with BBs from birdshot. The BBs hit them and the boat but didn’t do any serious damage. Gary immediately yelled a few choice words at the hunters in a field who were firing toward the water. The hunters proceeded to leave after realizing what they had just done. Since noone was hurt in the incident, the story always gets a few laughs when Gary tells it.

This morning Ted and I decided to hit the lake to try for some fall carp. Knowing it was small game season and talking about what happened to Gary a few years ago, we decided to proceed to our fishing hole with caution. We parked in a different area than usual so we could avoid walking through a field to get to the water like we usually do. We avoided walking near the fields and the areas we knew would have a few hunters.

We arrived to the area we wanted to fish safely just as the sun was beginning to rise. We started hearing a few shots within a mile from where we were fishing. Other than that, it was a quiet morning with a few boats in the area fishing too. After we got setup, I had both lines in the water in minutes. Ted had one line in the water and was in the process of putting packbait on his second line. Out of no where we heard a few loud bangs on the hill behind us and started getting sprayed with BBs from birdshot. WE GOT SHOT! “Yo, your shooting us” I yelled at the top of my lungs. I think Ted may have yelled a few choice words as well at the same time.

We knew people would be huning near the area we were fishing but we were at least 20 yards away from the brush near the shore. The lakes around here are currently very low, so we were out on the lake bed with bright clothes. We also had chairs, tripods, and other equipment so we were pretty darn visible. Anyone in the area could have clearly seen us if they took their time to look before shooting. Amazing!

The fishing turned out to be pretty lowsy. Ted caught one channnel cat around 10 pounds early on, but that was the only fish of the day. Fortunately for us, the shrapnel we took didn’t do any damage!

Eric

I'm gathering it was falling down out of the sky where the shots were fired upwards, not at you from a distance but even so, wow !!!

When dove hunting we usually ring a field with shooters, doves fly thru and everyone shoots. What goes up must come down. Soon after a volley has been fired it rains birdshot.

Just don't look up when its falling and you'll be ok! :)

A very common thing down South. We call it getting sprinkled. 100% harmless. Only those that have no idea get upset. :)

The shots seemed to come directly at us from behind and to the side of where we were fishing. They were pretty close. My guess is they were shooting at a ringneck pheasant running along a small treeline behind us. The ringneck's tend to run instead of flying to get away for some reason. They stock them for the hunters this time of year and I already had them walk right up to me while I'm out fishing. :) We saw a few ringneck's yesterday morning.

Eric

I have had a pellet go right down the back of my neck while duck hunting years ago. It really is harmless.

The shots seemed to come directly at us from behind and to the side of where we were fishing. They were pretty close. My guess is they were shooting at a ringneck pheasant running along a small treeline behind us. The ringneck's tend to run instead of flying to get away for some reason. They stock them for the hunters this time of year and I already had them walk right up to me while I'm out fishing. :) We saw a few ringneck's yesterday morning.

Eric

Taking a pheasant on the ground isnt Kosher/cool/sporting.

They (Pa. Game Comm.) stocked these ringnecks for the Youth Hunt on Oct. 9th

They are game farm pheasants, not really wild not really tame. We call them "Boot'n Shoots"

Ground swatting any gamebird is taboo and not Kosher at all, highly frowned upon but that don't stop people from doing it as theres lots of lets say UnKosher people in this world.

If they shot directly at you then you'd either be picking bb's out or at very least got stung bad, unless they were a long ways off like 200yds.

They (Pa. Game Comm.) stocked these ringnecks for the Youth Hunt on Oct. 9th

They are game farm pheasants, not really wild not really tame. We call them "Boot'n Shoots"

Ground swatting any gamebird is taboo and not Kosher at all, highly frowned upon but that don't stop people from doing it as theres lots of lets say UnKosher people in this world.

If they shot directly at you then you'd either be picking bb's out or at very least got stung bad, unless they were a long ways off like 200yds.

Yeah, and if they ground swatted it, you would be picking shot out of yourself, especially if they were using Federal #4 Wingshock loads!! I think you just received a raining down of pellets from above, like has already been stated. Very common occurence by water in the Fall. Could have also been waterfowl hunters. :)

:D So load up and shoot some boilies back.....he, he, he :)

A shotgun at 20 yards would probably send you to the ER to get the shot dug out of your anatomy. I have taken squirrels at 35 yards with #5 or #6 shot.