Carp Anglers Group Forums

Hello fellow Ohioans,

Welcome to the Meet and Greet section of the Ohio forum. This will give those from Ohio a chance to post some information above themselves and get to know everyone a bit better.

I'm from Reynoldsburg, Ohio but fish all around the state. I grew up fishing Buckeye Lake with my grandpa mainly fishing for whatever would bite. It seemed like I would always have a rod with rye crisp or wheaties in hopes of catching a carp. I became serious about carp fishing in the middle of 2009 so I'm fairly new to the Euro part of it. I spend just about every Saturday or Sunday fishing, so if you'd like to get together sometime send me a message and we can arrange something.

Hope to hear from everyone.

-Vince

Edited by Vinsanity

Hello fellow Ohioans,

Welcome to the Meet and Greet section of the Ohio forum. This will give those from Ohio a chance to post some information above themselves and get to know everyone a bit better.

I'm from Reynoldsburg, Ohio but fish all around the state. I grew up fishing Buckeye Lake with my grandpa mainly fishing for whatever would bite. It seemed like I would always have a rod with rye crisp or wheaties in hopes of catch a carp. I became serious about carp fishing in the middle of 2009 so I'm fairly new to the Euro part of it. I spend just about every Saturday or Sunday fishing, so if you'd like to get together sometime send me a message and we can arrange something.

Hope to hear from everyone.

-Vince

Very nicely put Vince, also like the new Greet & Meet topic. If they find the new forum, which I did, so it can't be that hard, I'm sure your write up will bring new and even some old friends back to CAG. and look foreward to meeting them along some bank in 2011.

Keep up the good work.

Keith

Hello my name is Rick I Found the carp anglers group in early 2008 cruising the net looking for dough ball recipes.What I found was a group of guys and gals who all shared a passion for the sport of carp fishing and were more than willing to share some of the baits and technics with me.I live in Hamilton,Ohio I fish the Great Miami River alot and am known to venture out alittle from time to time.So if you found this site kinda like I did and want to get out and do some carp fishing on pourpose with others that do the same thing PM any of us we will get out and get R done.

My name is Mike and I live in Cuyahoga Falls. I have gotten into carp fishing over the last couple years. I usual fish the Springfield and Portage Lakes areas of Akron, and occasionally the Cuyahoga River.

I caught my personal best 16.5 lb common this year and that cemented my dedicated to these awesome fish.

Guest The Old Carper

Hi there! My name is Jim and I live in Columbus. I've been fishing for carp about 45 years now. To be honest, a lot of times I felt a little ashamed to admit I was fishing for carp whenever somebody on the bank would ask. But after finding CAG a few years ago, I found out that I'm not alone in my love of catching these monster fish. Just ask any bass angler when the last time was that he caught a 20 pound bass. I fished for carp using the "old school" method of a night crawler on the bottom with a slide sinker for many many years. Through this group of guys I've learned newer and better techinques and baits. My catch rate has increased over 10 times the amount it was back then. Any of us would be more than happy to teach you some of these so called "Euro" techniques. (Euro just means the way they do it over across the ocean) I'm not saying the Euro-style is better, but some of the gear just makes it easier. I'm no expert by a long run, but I'm always willing to share anything I know.

Well as you can tell from my username my name is Shawn. I was the Ohio Chairman from 2003-2006, serving one of those years as co-chair with Phil Davenport. Served on the BoD for CAG for the same period. My wife, daughters, and I live in Galion. We have been carp fishing since late 2002 into early 2003. Although my time to actually spend bankside has been nearly zero for the past few years (work schedules suck), we try to get out with the kids when time allows. Don't spend much time on the forums anymore, but try to check in when I can. Looking forward to meeting some of the new faces bankside next year as time allows.

Hey, my name is Clayton and I live in Kettering, just outside of Dayton. I've been fishing for carp for 20+ years now, but got into serious carping back in 1998 when I first learned about the Carp Anglers Group. I've fished all over Ohio and in a few other states and always enjoy fishing with other carpers whenever I've got the time.

I'm mike I live in Bucyrus (the Bratwurst capital) I've fished for carp since I was 14 when I took my brand new ultra light spinning rod out for the first time and landed a 19" carp from a local pond. I was only planning on catching some bluegills, but man was that carp a big surprise and a lot of fun. After that I spent a lot of time fishing the Sandusky River with an ultra light stalking carp. I joined CAG back in 2005 after meeting the group up at East Harbor.

Hello all my name is Gary Calton and I live in Middletown,Ohio.I found CAG in 2006 by accident actually.zI was online looking for the holy grail of carp bait.Well what I found was much better.Anyway I first started carp fishing probly 22 years ago at the local paylakes with the doughball technique.I really only went totally euro about 3 years ago.But the few thing I have learned along the way is this;fish often,share with a friend,share info along the way,have confidence in your bait and location,and most of all have fun.The fish will come.

Hello, all. I love adventure and find it in chasing carp in new water. I use euro tackle(poles, reels, rod pod but not bait). I like trying food stuffs out of my local grocer. Just ask Bill, I throw everything at my intended quarry. I'm really trying to find the next great bait! lol I do most of my fishing after midnight(that's when I get off work). So, if you're coming through Western Ohio let's go fishing. Tom

Edited by T-JUICE

Hello all! My name is Brian Knisely and I'm from Findlay. Last summer I "accidently" hooked into a carp while fishing for rock bass in one of the local rivers. I didn't have a scale to weigh the fish, but it measured 30" long. What a great and fun fight! Needless to say I started searching the internet on some tips on how carp are normally caught and talking to some friends from UK that I play an online game with. I came across this sight and discovered that there are many people that love to catch this great fish here in the US. Many of the local anglers basically fish for walleye, perch, bass, and catfish so most of ventures for me have been trial and error. I have only really fished for carp in the local waterways, but I am interested in always trying new spots. I've heard that many carp anglers go up to Lake Erie, which is only about 1.5hrs away for me, but since the area is sooo big I've kinda shy'd away from venturing up there because of not knowing where even to begin.

I'm looking forward to some great carp fishing in 2011!!

Hey Brian, nice to hear from you. We fish East harbor at Lake Erie and this is usually done in the month of April. It's only fishable for a short period of time until the vegetation takes over. It will be on our schedule that will be made at our yearly gathering at BW3's here in Columbus. It will likely be in the 2nd or 3rd week of February on a Saturday evening.

Another place that might be of interest to you is the Maumee River. I have never fished there before, but CAG Ohio has held an event there. Here is a map of the area they fished. Click Here Also, here is a video of the inlet.

Edited by Vinsanity

Hey Brian, nice to hear from you. We fish East harbor at Lake Erie and this is usually done in the month of April. It's only fishable for a short period of time until the vegetation takes over. It will be on our schedule that will be made at our yearly gathering at BW3's here in Columbus. It will likely be in the 2nd or 3rd week of February on a Saturday evening.

Another place that might be of interest to you is the Maumee River. I have never fished there before, but CAG Ohio has held an event there. Here is a map of the area they fished. Click Here Also, here is a video of the inlet.

good work...

Welcome Brian!

Hello everyone. The snow melt turns my attention to fishing again: shame there isn't two more days,catching on local small fish water as the water fined down would have been great.

Fished the St Lawrence 4 years ago meeting Phil Davenport and Dick(?)so hello to you two and hope you are well. I did write up that week, and I will see if I still have Phil's email to pass around. Perhaps they are interested!

I will check up on your trips to eastern OH as live in WPA, looks as though I have missed Lake Erie I have been told of that spot.

Guest Fish Feeder

Hey,i'm pete from amelia oh.New here as you know.I've always caught carp and enjoyed it and lately thought i will finally start to target carp a little more and found this site.I'll see you around.

Hey everyone, I am a new member who at fifty-one decided to return to fishing. I have been a lifelong bass fisherman who after fishing farm ponds forever have come to terms with the fact that I have never had more fun fishing than when I have carp fished. I took my youngest son fishing and chasing carp has been a bonding time for us. I found this euro type stuff on the net, then this organization, and I am hungry to learn. Helps me feel like a kid again. Being from Putnam county I am near small creeks, south of the Maumee, and near, I am sure, many great carp fishing venues.

Hello ReturningCarper! Welcome!

Pete & John - Glad you found the site. There is a ton of information on this site to help get you started. Get down the basics of euro carp fishing, experiment with different bait recipes and have confidence when fishing and you'll be on your way to catching a lot of fish! Hope to see you at some future fish-ins.

Guest Braveheart

Afternoon guys,

Hope you are all cathing a few, I am Mike, Scottish and a very keen carp angler and over in Cleveland working till December.

Guest steelhead1

Took a break from Carping for a couple years. Went kind of on a whim last saturday. First fish over 20, only fish lol!

Enough to get me back to Whacker Baits today :D

Things seem quite a bit dead in here since last I was here???

We used to have some great outings that I went to. West Branch was something else!

Edited by steelhead1

Hello all,

My name is David McManus & i live in Paulding, North west Ohio (very close to Indiana & Michigan). Im a British expat who moved to Ohio 3 years ago. After having chased the bluegills, bass & catfish here since i arrived, i am now resorting back to what i know best, Carpfishing.

Having been a carp fisherman back in England for 30 years i am well versed in carp fishing bait, tackle & techniques.

I will find the carp on my own (i can smell em') but would love to hear from anyone who can show me some good venues also. In return i can share with you my knowledge, stories & friendship.

I have caught hundreds of carp to over 30 lbs, but know its time to beat my personal bests & catch some different types of carp in a new country. Looking forward to hearing from you, Dave.

PB's

Mirror Carp 31 lb 8oz (England)

Common Carp 25 lb 4oz (England)

Crusian Carp 2 lb 2oz (England)

Green Perch 2 lb 8oz (England)

Flathead Catfish 40 lb 3 oz (USA)

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the CAG forum! I'm actually not too familiar with the northwest part of Ohio when it comes to Carp fishing. To my knowledge, the only fish-in to the northwest has been on the Maumee River in Toledo at International Park. I had posted some information for a fellow member who lives in Findlay. (Brian - FishermanSudit) "Here is a map of the area they fished. Click Here Also, here is a video of the inlet.

Looks like you have a nice river system that could produce some large, hard fighting fish located in Defiance and just to the south where the river widens. It's getting a bit late in the year for Carp fishing around Ohio. Find yourself a warm water discharge located on the river and you may be in luck.

Again, Welcome to CAG! (I sent you a PM.)

-Vince

Many thanks for the information Vince,

I will have to look Brian up & see if he would like to get out on the banks for a while. The videos & information are a real help. Funnily enough i had been looking at the river at Defiance since taking my dog for a walk over the bridge & spying a good sized carp feeding in the margin. To my knowledge no one else fishes for carp in this area, which will make a nice change after fishing heavilly pressured waters back in the UK where you have to take whatever pegs are left.

I will be looking for a warm water discharge around the city limits to fish (I used to break the ice back home to get my lines in) so am used to cold water carping in all but the most extreme conditions. There are a couple of dams in the area also where there is always water movement enough to be able to keep on fishing.

Thanks once again for the information & i will keep you posted on how i get along.

Tight lines, Dave.