Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
(OH) Vinsanity

2011 Cag Ohio Fish-in Schedule Discussion

Hello everyone!

I figured now is a great time to get some input on next years fish-in schedule since this year has come to an end. I would first like to get some input on the East Harbor and West Branch locations. It seems like these are favored spots that produce some quality fish. Would everyone like to see these locations make a return in the months of April and May?

Next would be Cowan Lake. We had an amazing turnout this year and a ton of fish were caught in the process. Would everyone like to see this return to the schedule as well or maybe something else in the southwest part of Ohio? This would be scheduled in June.

July and August would then follow. With the lackluster turnout in August and very hot temperatures during both months I am considering not scheduling any fish-ins during this time period. We did have Cowan during the early part of July and from what I remember, the temperatures were bearable. I can't say the same for the mosquitoes. I want to say August is definitely out of the picture. Any input on a potential early July fish-in in the southwest region would be great. Maybe Loramie can be given life again?

September - I am thinking of a central-ish Ohio event. George had mentioned something about Knox Lake. I checked Google maps and there is a peninsula located in the middle of the lake that could potentially hold a fair amount of anglers. There is also Kokosing Lake in the same area. Looking at the map, this seems to have a huge amount of bank space as well. Maybe we try both and schedule one of them for October as well.

That would make 2 events to the north, 2 to the southwest and 2 in the central part of Ohio. Of course, any input is always welcome.

This is just a rough draft with no dates set in stone. I really would like everyone to give some input though. If you have a location that you think would be optimal for a particular time of the year, please let us know.

Gary had also mentioned the thought of discussing the schedule during the social gathering at BW3's. This would give everyone the opportunity to voice their opinions and find out the best possible dates for the fish-ins. What does everyone think of this? Would you rather the schedule be made early or wait a bit longer so everyone can discuss it in person. You guys are the ones that are attending so I want to make the schedule based on what you want. Thanks for any information you can provide!

Edited by Vinsanity

East Harbor same time frame, April, and move West Branch to June. Cowan was a great location, but damn the mosquitoes were so bad. Would like to see something more centrally located for May. I would be glad to host an over night at Osprey in May.

Agree fishing can be tough in August, but we could do something different like a bank side cook off at Griggs or somewhere else with plenty of shade. The fishing would be side bar to cooking. Making it more of a social event to gain some new blood in Ohio.

Working it all out at BW3's is a good idea as it will let all of us that can make it help decide on locations.

Good Luck

Andy

Edited by goosehtr

I am totally not an Ohio angler, but based on what I have read in previous years, you may want to try and do a few events at places that are new and exciting... not just convenient. I mean that in the friendliest way possible. It's admirable that you all are so organized that you have a schedule so early!

Hope to make it out to a few next year. I think East Harbor and West Branch are a must - but after that anything is game. I always like trying new places - doesn't really make much difference to me if it's a "known" big fish location, a numbers place, or just a complete unknown. I'll have to think about it and see if I come up with any other recommendations. Would like to see something on a river somewhwere.

By the way - I've fished the peninsula at Knox. Nice place to fish - didn't catch any carp but that was back in the day when i threw sweet corn on a hook and hoped for the best. Caught lots of nice LM bass, though. Could definitely hold a decent sized group - no idea what the fishing is like, though. Also - as far as I know it's the only decent spot on the lake for shore access.

Vince

I think Knox Lake would be a good choice. It has a large population of Carp, just not certain what the size of them are. The Marina area, which you looked at on google, would definitely be good. People can fish back to back, still be close enough to socialize, but not to far from their equipment. I have talked to a couple individuals, in the past year, who said they landed a 30 pounder there, but didn't see any pics or anything else to verify -- just their word.

Kokosing is a nice place, but not sure how much bank space is available. I will take a trip to both lakes this week and look at the a few of the areas I have in mind. I have fished both places many times over the years, but it has just been me and the family -- not 10 or 20 ppl. Will let you know what I find -- there are a couple other possible places on the upper end of Knox that I will also check out while I an there.

George

Edited by geo_43001

East Harbor and West Branch are always good bets. As others have said, the rest of the season is up for grabs. Knox Lake is a great lake for Carp. If you decide to scout a trip out up there, let me know and I'll try to make it there with you. There is a ton of underwater structure, so that can pose a problem on runs. As for Kokosing Lake....we have spent quite a bit of time there fishing. Haven't really done well on size or quantity of carp. I think the biggest we caught as a group from there was around 14lbs, but most average between 2-4lbs. There is a picture floating around of me holding a 1/2lb carp. LOL. That came from Kokosing. There may be larger carp and quantities in there, but we haven't been able to find them.

Bucyrus Upground Reservoir #4 holds a TON of large carp. We've hooked up with some very large carp while trolling for saugeye but were never able to actually net them and land them. My guess would be mid 30's based on length and girth. There is no shade, it's an upground res. and full of weeds for the most part, but could be VERY productive if prebaited over a period of time.

There is a quarry in Marion that is daytime only, but has tons of bankspace. Might be able to get a night permit from the city if you played your cards right. I can confirm fish in the upper 30's from here. Have seen 2 caught now and have seen HUGE carp feeding on bait I have dropped off of shelves in there. Night fishing is the way to go, but again you would need permission from the city (permit) to do it....not even fully sure they would allow it.

Has anyone given thought to the Huron Pier in Huron, OH on Lake Erie? Dick L and I fished it once, and have seen an unbelievable amt. of carp on the West side in the spring. This could be a possible idea.

ANother on Erie would be the Dempsey Launch area. Payara can confirm large carp at this location. I snagged one there while perch fishing. No scales with me but guessing in the mid 30's.

i will host a fish in at loramie. whenever doesnt matter. and i think cowan is a MUST again this year. but i do like louis's idea of changing it up a bit with keeping only a few of the norms.

Guest BuckeyeCarper

I don't know how the camping would work or even what the carp fishing is like but has anyone ever given any thought to trying Senaca, Salt Fork, Peidmont, Clendening, or Tappan lakes? They have some top end predators with big flatheads and muskies so you would think that there would be some big carp in there due to population control. Piedmont and Clendening are 10 hp limit lakes so no jet skis or pleasure boaters. I am just throwing it out there as something to think about. May not fit what you guys want but I don't know if a CAG event has been held at any of these lakes in the past and they are some of the best in the state for fishing in general. Vince, if its something the members are interested in I can check to see if they have camping on the water and if not I can look into some areas that would accommodate a group of anglers.

Jake

Guest The Old Carper

Hey Vince, have you ever thought about the AEP (formerly known as Ohio Power) recreational area? It requires a free permit to use the area, but there is supposed to be some great fishing out there. Not sure about carp, because carp isn't mainstream enough for them to talk about. Just another place that might be worth checking out.

Hey All !! I'd like to make a few this season ,along with cwcarper. River Ricks suggestion about the GMR is something to be taking very seriously. This is a great location, easy to find, and fish almost right from your car.Another lake that we had a fish in in the past was Clark lake. Not a bunch of big carp, but many were caught, and it's a very private,peaceful place. Just adding my two cents...DA KING !!! ;)

I take it all discussions have stopped since Ohio has a new forum. I have not seen one post here for a very long time. Since I cannot join the "other" site Ill try to continue this thread all by myself. I am going to make East harbor this year so whenever you have it works for me. I would like to host an early fort loramie fish in say early april.

It may only be me and Tom but we will have fun.

Hey Vince, have you ever thought about the AEP (formerly known as Ohio Power) recreational area? It requires a free permit to use the area, but there is supposed to be some great fishing out there. Not sure about carp, because carp isn't mainstream enough for them to talk about. Just another place that might be worth checking out.

I don't think Vince is here anymore!! I have not seen him respond for some time now.

I take it all discussions have stopped since Ohio has a new forum. I have not seen one post here for a very long time. Since I cannot join the "other" site Ill try to continue this thread all by myself. I am going to make East harbor this year so whenever you have it works for me. I would like to host an early fort loramie fish in say early april.

It may only be me and Tom but we will have fun.

I must have missed all the threads you created in the Carp Locally Ohio section and the Regional section for Ohio. Can you post the links?

Here is a link to a thread discussing the social gathering we will have at BW3's. In this thread it also says that we will be having an in-person discussion of events for this years schedule. We will also consider the information posted in this thread as I will be bring my laptop to make the schedule on the spot.

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43172

Thanks,

Vince (State Chair)

well vince you started this thread, I had thought maybe you might come back and check on it every once in a while. Back in november someone asked a question and never got a response. I wasn't sure if you were still around. Not a big deal. see you at BW3S

I'm still anxiously awaiting the schedule. Wish I could make it out to the social but too much going on that day. I'm up for anything as it's been a while since I've been out. Loramie is on my list of places to check out - mostly because I've never been there and I always like to try new spots.

On a side note - ever since the regional sections went to members only the Ohio section has been kind of dead.

I guess older members just don't matter anymore.Sections only open to members and other things like that. Then one wonders why people give up on groups like this. I've been around for a very long time, finally getting back into some of it, and low and behold, things are all twisted around. Sometimes,changes are NOT what we need. ...Rick