Carp Anglers Group Forums
john montana

What Was Your Fish Of The Year?

Not sure about the rest of you, but I am absolutely going stir crazy at this point. I might have to stoop to (gasp!) steelhead fishing!

How about some pics or stories about you fish of the year. I have two, but only one was mine.

First up was this beauty caught in the spring.

6a706363.jpg

I was fishing with my dad and high school coach and really loved showing him the carp on the fly game. Julio was set up on a pod of fish that were just laid up, not eating but he just couldn't leave em. We all know how that is! I walked around the point, just a few hundred feet away and spotted this big girl laying in the shallows, surrounded by downed trees and brush. I ninja crept my way in there and dapped a fly on her head from a rod length away. I netted the fish but the best part was the look on Julio's face when I came around the point carrying that pig. Priceless.

Fish number two was Wendy berrells. I have been after a 20 plus lb mirror for years, and Wendy says this fish came to him because I poached a 20 lber from him earlier that day! Guilty as charged, but I am happy Wendy got this beast. Awesome fish.

IMGP0315.jpg

Some nice memories. Anyone care to share to help me survive the winter?

Well I didn't catch mine on a fly but I did a nice 23.6lb common out of a local lake on K-1 Fruity peach grit pack bait. Hope to land some bigger one this year!!!!! I will put up my out good fish too. it was a 22.4lb common!!!

post-4607-0-03312400-1294582015.jpg

post-4607-0-17532400-1294582073.jpg

HOME:

It was a slow year back home due to the high river levels all year long, but I managed to catch this chunky bigmouth buffalo back in early March 2010.

bibpose1alt2.jpg

ABROAD:My first Columbia river carp, caught in the company of John Montana and Mr. P back in May 2010.

seadonkey.jpg

I have been fishing the Blackstone River near my house since I was a kid. . Biggest mirror I ever caught here was in the low twenties. But, that changed this past spring. In a place that I had caught hundreds of fish under 12 lbs., I suddenly hit a big one. This one topped the scale at 28 lbs. While I caught bigger carp in 2010, this is the one that I remember most.

post-1472-0-00361700-1294696761.jpg

Great fish everyone! Im looking foward to try flyfishing for carp for the first time this coming season!

Rougfisher..... You know what else likes to swim in the depths of the columbia river dont you??? :dry: I have a picture of a little example. This one was 10.5 FEET long and lord only knows what it weighed we hooked it just below Bonneville dam and finaly landed it 6 miles down river.post-5524-0-57225800-1296627882.jpg

I actually hooked a sturgeon on a carp flat. Cast at a cruising shadow 80 ft away and set the hook on tension. Turned out to be about a 4 ft long sturgeon. It swam past me with my fly likely snagged in it's belly (I don't believe it ate that fly for a second) and the fly fell out when it passed me. I see small sturgeon on the flats once or twice a season.

Extremely high water in our local reservoir the entire summer put a kabosh on most of my flyrod carping for the year.

I finally timed the "mulberry hatch" just right, and did catch a couple small carp on a purple boa yarn leech pattern under an overhaning mulberry tree.

DM_Carp_mulberryfly_cuttys.jpg

While not my biggest fly rod grass carp, this turned out to be the ONLY grassie I caught this year. It was 33" and calculated at ~17.5 lbs.

DM_33inGrassCarp_JP_6-16-2010_E.jpg

And for "other rough fish", I was able to get my first couple of shortnose gar on flies this summer. That was FUN!

DM_Gar_Jaw.jpg

And, I caught my biggest Freshwater Drum, a 26-incher, tossing lures with spinning gear. It was big enough to earn a Big Fish award from our state (Iowa).

DM_26inFreshwaterDrum_6-3-2010.jpg

Edited by FishnDave