Carp Anglers Group Forums
Eric Ridenour

New To Fly Fishing And Fly Carpin'

Ok, I am Not only a newb at Fly fishing but I want to get into fly fishing for carp. Since I am a paylaker My wild carpin' is limited and my fly fishing is even more so. My Buddies Travis and Kraig ( Trout Guys ) are also wanting to get into carpin' on a fly. Since they have been fly fishing for years They are trying to teach me. The Thing is, I wanna lear how to tie these carp flies. Anyone have any how to's or tips in doing so?

Ok, I am Not only a newb at Fly fishing but I want to get into fly fishing for carp. Since I am a paylaker My wild carpin' is limited and my fly fishing is even more so. My Buddies Travis and Kraig ( Trout Guys ) are also wanting to get into carpin' on a fly. Since they have been fly fishing for years They are trying to teach me. The Thing is, I wanna lear how to tie these carp flies. Anyone have any how to's or tips in doing so?

Well your going to need a vise and feathers ect. Maybe buy a kit to get yourself started. Start collecting feathers, fur ect locally also. Squirrel tails, deer hair ect.

Eric,

I do not know much about paylakes but I would be surprised if you couldnt catch at least some carp at you favorite hang-outs. I dont know, you might take some ribbing from your friends but odds are it is possible.

On how to start.

First off if you really want to roll-your-own that is a fun place to start but can be intimidating. The best way to start is to walk into a fly-shop and tell them:

1) "I need a fly-tying starters kit" - This will come with a vice and some other tools and enough materials and direction to tie several different famous trout flies. Probably an adams dry-fly, hares-ear or pheasant tail nymph and wooly-bugger streamer. The nymph and streamer can both catch carp.

2) "Make me a pile of everything I need to tie an olive / black backstabber and give me one sample fly" This will be three little bags of materials, some hooks, some thread, some weighted eyes and one fly as an example. This is a good pattern to start with because it is pretty easy and is a good all-round pattern that catches carp in all sorts of conditions. If you are feeling spunky ask for the material for a rust backstabber at the same time. The other bonus about the backstabber is this awesome video on U-tube which will help walk you through how to tie it:

The best way to start for equipment is simmilar. Just about anywhere these days you can get a starters kit that comes with a rod/reel, line and leaders. I would probably walk into a local fly-shop and ask for a 7 weight kit. You can get a pretty sweet starters setup for 100 to 150 bucks. If you are suspicious it will sit in the closet get something under 100 (They are even available at Walmart, from cortland I think). It wont be that great but it will work and you arent out that much money if you dont like it.

A good fly-shop can help with the how-to as well. Casting lessons are probably a good idea but just having a buddy show you is better than nothing. Actually learning to catch carp on the fly will probably just take time on the water. Thats fishing.

Eric,

I do not know much about paylakes but I would be surprised if you couldnt catch at least some carp at you favorite hang-outs. I dont know, you might take some ribbing from your friends but odds are it is possible.

On how to start.

First off if you really want to roll-your-own that is a fun place to start but can be intimidating. The best way to start is to walk into a fly-shop and tell them:

1) "I need a fly-tying starters kit" - This will come with a vice and some other tools and enough materials and direction to tie several different famous trout flies. Probably an adams dry-fly, hares-ear or pheasant tail nymph and wooly-bugger streamer. The nymph and streamer can both catch carp.

2) "Make me a pile of everything I need to tie an olive / black backstabber and give me one sample fly" This will be three little bags of materials, some hooks, some thread, some weighted eyes and one fly as an example. This is a good pattern to start with because it is pretty easy and is a good all-round pattern that catches carp in all sorts of conditions. If you are feeling spunky ask for the material for a rust backstabber at the same time. The other bonus about the backstabber is this awesome video on U-tube which will help walk you through how to tie it:

The best way to start for equipment is simmilar. Just about anywhere these days you can get a starters kit that comes with a rod/reel, line and leaders. I would probably walk into a local fly-shop and ask for a 7 weight kit. You can get a pretty sweet starters setup for 100 to 150 bucks. If you are suspicious it will sit in the closet get something under 100 (They are even available at Walmart, from cortland I think). It wont be that great but it will work and you arent out that much money if you dont like it.

A good fly-shop can help with the how-to as well. Casting lessons are probably a good idea but just having a buddy show you is better than nothing. Actually learning to catch carp on the fly will probably just take time on the water. Thats fishing.

Thanks for the tips. The Video was awsome! I have a local fly shop here so I am stopping by the after work on Monday to get everything I need. I hope yall will be patient with me cause i will have a ton of questions....

Eric and for others who read this I am now an official Hardys/greys flyfishing equipment and clothing dealer. I carry a few of the hardys reels and rods (have all available ) and have some greys(intro/beginners) combo rod and reel sets in store(under$200 for the sets). the sets available in 4,5,and 8 weight come with rod, reel , backing, line and leader.

pm me for prices and info

there is a 10% CAG discount on all flyfishing equipment and clothing.

Mark

Hillbilly, Stop in the fly shop by your moms house. These fellers can help you!

That backstabber has been very effective for me but my go to is still a headstand. Here is a video I made on how to tie the headstand some years ago.

As most have said thus far, take your time be patient and have some fun, it can be expensive to get rolling with fly gear and tying your own stuff but man it can also be super rewarding.

Steve

That backstabber has been very effective for me but my go to is still a headstand. Here is a video I made on how to tie the headstand some years ago.

As most have said thus far, take your time be patient and have some fun, it can be expensive to get rolling with fly gear and tying your own stuff but man it can also be super rewarding.

Steve

Thank you sir...

You are most welcome, if you have any other questions or need advice please do ask. As someone that works in a fly shop from time to time I know I have plenty of uneducated customers that I am lucky did not go to the box stores and get robbed or discouraged. Shoot me a pm if need be I know I'm new here but have been a long time lurker and am a long time member of several other boards (fly tying related) and a semi-production tyer.

Steve

Well the other night I stopped by a local fly shop and spent a few hours in there talking to the owner. I tell ya, he totally hooked me up and put me on the right road. I managed to get a me a 9' 5wt Redington Red Fly rod and a sexy cross water reel. David took proper care of me. I managed to leave the store 1k poorer but I got one hell of a start. I even spent a lil time last night tying flies.

Dude - you dont mess around! Sounds like you got a really goot start. I can tell already - Anybody who walks into a fly-shop and drops 1K on his first shot is in deep deep trouble. That first fish on a fly you tied yourself and you will be addicted - its incredibly gratifying.

Welcome to the fly-carpin revolution, keep us up to date.

Dude - you dont mess around! Sounds like you got a really goot start. I can tell already - Anybody who walks into a fly-shop and drops 1K on his first shot is in deep deep trouble. That first fish on a fly you tied yourself and you will be addicted - its incredibly gratifying.

Welcome to the fly-carpin revolution, keep us up to date.

Well Hopefully this weekend we will see how well I did. Me and my buddies are headed out to fish for some trout. Course With only a day ( or Less ) learning casting I guess it will be a Jump In with both feet type of deal. Whats Nice, is these boys I will be heading out with are Members of Trout Unlimited ( West Virginia ) and 20 + year fly anglers, So its going to be one of those aww come on big guy type of days LMAO I'll feel like that Kid you take fishing with you who's never been laugh.gif

Also, I posted up a couple of my first flys on my blog. Not to shabby since it was my first time....

Here's a couple I did this evening...

http://hillbillybonez.com/home/?p=377

The flies leave some room for improvement but hey it's only your first.... you should see the few of my first flies I have from almost 22 years ago; they wouldn't even be seen as a fly today!!! LOL You have some folks to lead you in the right direction just don't let them try to lead you away from the warm water.... that's where it's at really. Go bassin' chase some bluegills, get out after a cooler full of crappie, go get those carp, try and land a trophy class musky on fly, and for heaven sake go catch a 20lb carp on the fly...... you'll never go back.

Steve

The flies leave some room for improvement but hey it's only your first.... you should see the few of my first flies I have from almost 22 years ago; they wouldn't even be seen as a fly today!!! LOL You have some folks to lead you in the right direction just don't let them try to lead you away from the warm water.... that's where it's at really. Go bassin' chase some bluegills, get out after a cooler full of crappie, go get those carp, try and land a trophy class musky on fly, and for heaven sake go catch a 20lb carp on the fly...... you'll never go back.

Steve

Steve I tell ya, I wished I would have taken this up years ago! I simply can't get enough of it... Heck I spend my lunch hour working on my cast ( and some flys ) I have tossed so much yarn I think when i start slingin' fly's I may end up chunkin' them a country mile laugh.gif

I just learned How to tie the Zebra Midge tonight. I almost have it down ( Minus the silver thread )

My Ultimate goal is to be 100% rough fish on my fly rods. I will still do trout and so forth but my goal is to land a trophy common on a fly! My buddie took me to a few places to show me where he catches carp on flys, and i tell ya I don't know if I will be able to pick up my pay lake gear this year!

BTW, here's the Zebra Midge I tied tonight...

post-5185-0-74857000-1298340510.jpg

They look good, personally though I would go a little less on the dubbing (from a teaching standpoint less is more here) and maybe shorten the "thorax" (place you put dubbing on) area and you're almost perfect.... as for the ribbing (wire rib part) that just comes one day out of lala land. I honestly can't tell you how many guys after some time talking and what not will say they never could get ribbing to look right then all of a sudden BAM there it was and there it has been ever since.

Steve

Please do understand too that I'm not making fun of your tying ability... I teach people every week how to tie a fly for the first time and if you're three, thirty, or three hundred (haven't had that last one yet but I'm on the look out) I'll try my best to keep it light. You have potential as we all do in everything we undertake if we apply ourselves. Me being a young man I have some trouble when it comes to teaching a say a gentleman in his 40's or 50's but as I explained to the last guy that questioned me on my experience... it has worked for me since my seventh birthday when I tied my first fly.... why stop now (the it would be the BS philosophy).

Steve

Please do understand too that I'm not making fun of your tying ability... I teach people every week how to tie a fly for the first time and if you're three, thirty, or three hundred (haven't had that last one yet but I'm on the look out) I'll try my best to keep it light. You have potential as we all do in everything we undertake if we apply ourselves. Me being a young man I have some trouble when it comes to teaching a say a gentleman in his 40's or 50's but as I explained to the last guy that questioned me on my experience... it has worked for me since my seventh birthday when I tied my first fly.... why stop now (the it would be the BS philosophy).

Steve

Thanks for the tips man, they are greatly appreciated. One can always improve on everything he/she does in life.

How is your casting doing? 10 o'clock, two o'clock...repeat as necessary :)

The midges look nice; get a used copy of Carp on the Fly and you're off to the races.

How is your casting doing? 10 o'clock, two o'clock...repeat as necessary :)

The midges look nice; get a used copy of Carp on the Fly and you're off to the races.

Pat buddy its goin well, been out a few times for trout and killed them! I just finished up tying THE WAPSI FOAM BEETLE I really enjoyed tying it..

Steve I tell ya, I wished I would have taken this up years ago! I simply can't get enough of it... Heck I spend my lunch hour working on my cast ( and some flys ) I have tossed so much yarn I think when i start slingin' fly's I may end up chunkin' them a country mile laugh.gif

I just learned How to tie the Zebra Midge tonight. I almost have it down ( Minus the silver thread )

My Ultimate goal is to be 100% rough fish on my fly rods. I will still do trout and so forth but my goal is to land a trophy common on a fly! My buddie took me to a few places to show me where he catches carp on flys, and i tell ya I don't know if I will be able to pick up my pay lake gear this year!

BTW, here's the Zebra Midge I tied tonight...

post-5185-0-74857000-1298340510.jpg

Well Eric, you are in a world of hurt, but you just don't fully realize it yet. You do have lots of us other crazies right there with you though. Congrats on jumping into the deep end first.

I could give you all kinds of wonderful little links on fly tying and carp fishing on the fly and places that will be glad to take your money. My first comment is to go back to that place that took that money from you and get some casting lessons now, before the season gets hot. If you are not fighting your equipment, you will have fun and enjoy your time on the water. Get a good foundation and hit the ground running. Look forward to reading more of your adventures this year. Congrats again.

Rick