Carp Anglers Group Forums

ACS poles

Justin

Planning on meeting with the rod builders Friday or early next week. Blanks are on the way from the UK..

Should know more in the next week or so??.. about the time frame they will be done.

I've had several inquire about reserving a rod.. No problem. We are only doing 30 rods this time around.

If you want to reserve 1 to 3 rods send me an email. dave@americancarpsociety.com

3 lbs TC tip section 3 1/4 TC butt section, 12 ft rod they will be black with standard black duplon handles. 6 eyes and the tip

Decided to keep everything simple this first go around. Maybe the next series we can do cork or baitcasting? The cost just goes up too much to try and tweak each rod..

Soon as I have more info I'll let you know.. Once I have a sample I'll take a photo to post here..

Cheers,

David

Guest Paul Pezalla
3 lbs TC tip section 3 1/4 TC butt section,

I am baffled by this. As I understand things, one holds the rod horizontally and hangs a weight from the tip. The weight that bends the rod 90 degrees is the rods test curve (tc). If I look at this definition and the statement quoted above, it seems that something is wrong. How does one measure a separate tc for each of the two sections of the rod? Is your rod something other than a 3 lb fast action rod? If it isn't, what is the difference and why is it better (or isn't it)? How far does the rod bend if you hang a 3 lb weight from the tip?

Also, do you think Americans are a bit caught up in the "bigger is better" phenomenon when it comes to tc? I think 2.50 lb makes a lovely rod.

Paul Pezalla

Paul,

I'll try and get an actual TC once I get one built. My guess is it will fall between 3 and 3 1/4.. :D

ACS approached Dr. Steve Harrison of Harrison rods with a certain criteria. A rod that could handle the method or PVA bags well and also play a fish well. This is the combination he came up with?. This blank was designed for the USA market and is not available in the UK.

I personally have fished with Harrisons for 3 years now and absolutley love them. Both at 3.25 and 3.5 TC.. I've compared these rods to some 2.75'TCs and the Harrisons are softer? Harrison blanks tend to have a nice through action which will also aid in the above mentioned style of fishing.

Yes, 2.5 TC's are nice to play fish on.. But that wasn't the only criteria we were after...

Guest Paul Pezalla
This is the combination he came up with?.

I think he saw you coming. He had a big stack of mismatched spare sections and saw a way to unload a bunch on the unsuspecting provencials.

Seriously, I have no question about Harrisons ability to design and built rods but this deal has me baffled.

Paul Pezalla

Also, do you think Americans are a bit caught up in the "bigger is better" phenomenon when it comes to tc? I think 2.50 lb makes a lovely rod.

Paul,

I've got 2x 2.75lb rods and I love em! I wonder if the 3lb T/Cs are for long distance casting into big lakes?

R

Guys -

I used to read about a rod called the AK47 which came with two different tip stiffnesses so suppose this idea of combining different sections is not unprecedented. In a way Paul is right, a rod really only has one TC which can be measured while it is assembled. I think the idea that is being presented is that the Butt section comes from a blank that would go 3.25 lb TC if both butt and tip were used. However, to get a little softer tip action, the lower butt is coupled with a tip from a rod which would have a 3 lb TC if kept intact.

The pragmatic side of me does have one question though. What is being done with all the butts from the lighter test curve blank and the tips from the heavier test curve blank? I find it unlikely that economics would allow two blanks to be consumed per rod without substantially driving up the price. Maybe the butt and tip sections are being manufactured separately rather than coming from two full length blanks.

I'm in no way a rod expert..

ACS will have the insight on rod building from two experts Dr. Harrison and Nick Buss..

Dr. Harrison has agreed to do a section on our upcoming website on carp rods and advancments in rod making over the last decade or so..

My guess on the blank is to agree with Brian, it's two sections matched to their respective TC's But with todays advancements in wraps and resins? It's likely the same blank just the butts section gets some added stiffness compared to the tip section.

For the main intent of fishing the method or PVA bags seems the best of both worlds to me? A soft tip for delivery and fish playing. Along with the bit of extra power via the butt section for casting?

Nick Buss was kind enough to pro-type a set(not for sale :D ) for the rod builders we are using. Nick was impressed with the blank.

As for off loading extra sections :D .. I seriously doubt that makes much business sense? Harrison rods very much wants to have a presence in the USA market.

The pragmatic side of me does have one question though. What is being done with all the butts from the lighter test curve blank and the tips from the heavier test curve blank?

I'll take a shot at this--I've seen it before in Surf Blanks.

Basicly--They've taken an "off the shelf" Euro Style--Parobolic Blank, changed the wrap schedule to add a bit more material and stiffness to the butt section in order to make it a bit more acceptable for the US Market.

Not really a big deal--It's a "slightly faster taper" Carp Rod.

Forget the test curve stuff and it will be easier to understand.

Thats all just a guess on my part--but it's not really anything out of the ordinary as far as manufacturing goes--just a different way to say stiffer butt.

EDIT--Sorry David--Your post hit while I was typing mine. Sounds like a pretty good rod to me.

I have had the pleasure of these rods first hand, they where the heavy light combination, I have rods that are built on sportex blanks now that are 2.75 TC the ACS rods in low 3 TC where thinner and more sensitive then the 2.75 ones that I own <shrug> I think the Sportex blanks are IM-9 graphite to give you and idea of what I was comparing to. the ACS rod blanks are something else....the rods are AMAZING no speculation I have seen them, I certainly don’t think they where put together with spare parts :D

Guest Paul Pezalla

You are correct on the dual test curve rods, Brian. I have one or two rods that are 3 and 3.5 tc depending on the tip section used. Fox is currently marketing the Vario Rod, a duel tip rod that can be had in 2.25/2.75, 2.5/3.0 or 2.75/3.25. This makes sense, the other deal is still beyond my comprehension.

Paul Pezalla

www.wackerbaits.com