Carp Anglers Group Forums

Official "2011 Dixon Carp Thing" Carp Derby

Guest THE BIG WORM

Guest cornball

"THE DIXON CARP THING", Family Carp Derby

Last year was the first year back, and it was a great success, all the local folk enjoyed themselves quite a bit and caught a great number of fish, and the Pro's got to have a great time at Lowell Park for the Illinois Carp Championship witch turned out to be quite a challenge for the Anglers. The City was great and it was great to prove to the world that there where still fish in the Rock River after the Fish Kill, and with such a large number of young fish, it shouldn't be long till the river and the event reclaims the glory that it once held. Alot of you have made some great suggestions, and I have listened too, and taken to heart alot of your input.....and I think I may have come up with a NEW idea that may be a real treat for all with alot more interaction between all the anglers, ONE that won't leave anyone out of the fun!!!

WHAT:

A two day catch and release Carp Derby with a Family/Individual Catagory and Pro's Team Catagory.

There will be prizes for both boys and girls catagories , and cash or prizes for the top 10-20 biggest carp caught. Will have room for up to 250 people. This in not a pegged event so play nice.

For the more experienced anglers we will have a Team Derby Catagory with a bigger pot, and limited participation that will truly get everyone involved in promoting the sport of carp fishing.

WHEN:

Saturday August 27th from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and again on Sunday 28th from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

WHERE:

Both the north and south sides of the River along the downtown riverfront parks below the Dixon Dam.

HOW MUCH:

***Family Style Individual Catagory***

$12.00 for adults, $5.00 for kids 13 and under (participants entered as kids will only be elegable for kids prizes)

***Pro Team Catagory***

$100 per team, limited to 20 teams only with an unusual twist. To create more exposure for higher skill level carp fishing events, to promote safe fish handling , and to create a situation to help market CAG and its upcoming carp fishing events (CCC) I have decided to inter-mix the two skill leveled events in the same area to increase exposure for carp fishing and to make the event more managable. It should also eliminate some of the concerns people have about the waters by having everyone fish the waters less effected by the fish kill. The team event will involve one angler fishing one day....and the other fishing the second day (at the teams choice), the non-fishing angler will be asked to act as a weight steward on another section of water, I think this will be a great way to get the pro-s to interact with the family's, help to eliminate the concerns some have about cheating, and it will also create time for socializing. The other side to this is that it will create a whole series of new challenges and choices for the teammates to make.....who fishes first? do you fish a second spot the second day? Should I change to what the locals are using? Should I move mid day?Do I run shoulder to shoulder with the groups of people in the high numbers areas or try a secluded spot? etc.....etc....

The Teams weight will be the combined total of each anglers biggest single fish, and the highest combined weights will determine the winning order.

I know some will be concerned with fishing amongst others, but almost all Illinois anglers in CAG got their tournament start fishing a local derby so this will just be taking us back to our roots, and with all the "Volenteers" and with only 20 pro-anglers mixed in amongst the Family anglers at any one time over an area much, much bigger than Lowell Park I think this will be really neat....and really be a fun challenge.

HOW CAN I ENTER:

Northern Illinois bait shops in the the next few month will have entrys, Wacker Baits will also get applications. You can register by getting ahold of me direct (239) 246-2742. And some Illinois fishing magazines will have sign-ups in the August issues. A PM will hold the spot, with 50% payment due 30 days prior, cash prior to start.

WHAT COULD I WIN!!!

Family Individual Event

Right now there is $1,000 in cash sponsored by DIXON TOURISM, and The CITY OF DIXON. And hundreds of dollars in tackle prizes. And kids prizes gallore. The current prize totals are BEFORE anyone has entered. As entry's come in and more sponsors get involved we will post the new totals.........KEEP CHECKING BACK!!!!!

Team Derby Catagory

100% Payout Based on and limited to 20 teams only.

$1,000 First Place

$500 Second Place

$250 Third Place

$125 Biggest Mirror

$125 Biggest Koi/Hybrid

WHERE IS DIXON?

It in about 90 miles west, southwest of Chicago Illinois. ( about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from most of Chicago land, 45 min, from Rockford. There is ample motel and hotel space as well as camping near by. I will try to get Derby discounts and post them as I have them to post.

CAN I HELP?

YES!! pm me. Roving weigh stewards, judges, helpers (for the less skilled) and Membership drive personel for the CAG booth would be great. I have some ideas on how to thank those who help, but let me know your ideas if you volenteer.

SPONSORS:

This is a family event that in the past has had hundreds of participants each year, its a good place to be seen, a great group of potential customers, and local enough that you don't need to be just a tackle company. And any help in prizes or as stewards would be great!!!

FOOD?

Ohh!! Yeah!! Lots of good places to eat, and hopefully some roving food vendors at the event.

This year we will make sure the Booster Club has there food court open by the Paige Park Pavillion

AWARDS:

Will share a short ceremony with the pro event after the 2:00 closing. Location will be at the River Front Pavillion.

INDIVIDUAL EVENT RULES:

1) This event is catch and release and all fish must be released.

2) Only common, mirror, KOI and leather skin carp will count (german carp)

3) Cash prizes for biggtest 10 carp and prizes for the 11th-20th biggest carp caught by adults. One prize per angler, based on your largest fish. Prizes for Biggest five boys, and Prizes for biggest five girls.

4) NO BOATS! NO WADING! NO SWIMING! This is a shore fishing event.Do not enter the water at any time.

5) Be mindful of other anglers and try not to crowd them. This is an open event, so expect other anglers and conduct yourself in a courteous and sportsmanlike manner.

6) Two rods per angler (max) at any time , one hook per rod, and NO TREBLE HOOKS!!!

7) WEIGHING IN FISH: Roving judges with matched scales (pounds and ounces) will weigh your fish as they are caught.

Upon zero-ing out the scale and weigh sling the fish will be weighed and you will sign-off on the weight and time. All ties will go to the earlier caught fish.

At this time the fish will be released after pictures if desired. All fish, including non-carp must be released.

NO STRINGERS ALLOWED, FISH SACKS ARE AVAILABLE ***

8) In the event of a tie, the higher prize goes to the first to register their fish. In the event of a tie for 20th place, there will be two prizes.In the event of a tie both size and time the two anglers will split the two prizes equally.

9) You must abide by the rules of this derby as well as all applicable state, county, and local laws. Failure to do so

will result in your disqualification.

10) You must have a valid Illinois Fishing Liscence if you are over 16 years old.

11) No Fish sharing, if you didn't catch it ....it don't count. Kids may gain assistance from adults in landing their fish. And anyone can help net your fish.

12) Rulings of the judges AND DERBY DIRECTOR are final!

PRO TEAM CATAGORY RULES

(in addition to rules 1-12 of the individual event)

13) The Non-fishing team member will be asked to help weigh fish for derby and other teams, with full turn out you shouldn't need to make a whole day of it.

14) You will not weigh fish in the same section that your partner is fishing.....if your team mate moves into the section you are stewarding, you will need to change weighing fish with another non-fishing team member.

15) Remember your actions will set an example to all and please try to be understsnding of all the beginners....thanks.

That's all the time I have now, I will post more later. Poster and entrys are being worked on as I speak. I will also be announcing a Fish-In for out there as soon as I can find a free weekend so people can get a taste of what Carp Fishing in the Rock is like on the Lower River area. Talk to you soon...........Larry.

Edited by cornball

These initiatives are the thing that make this club, and the people in it great !!!!!!

FANTASTIC,,,Really Fantastic Stuff......thank you !!!!!!

post-710-0-10127500-1306422975.jpg

"THE DIXON CARP THING", Family Carp Derby

Last year was the first year back, and it was a great success, all the local folk enjoyed themselves quite a bit and caught a great number of fish, and the Pro's got to have a great time at Lowell Park for the Illinois Carp Championship witch turned out to be quite a challenge for the Anglers. The City was great and it was great to prove to the world that there where still fish in the Rock River after the Fish Kill, and with such a large number of young fish, it shouldn't be long till the river and the event reclaims the glory that it once held. Alot of you have made some great suggestions, and I have listened too, and taken to heart alot of your input.....and I think I may have come up with a NEW idea that may be a real treat for all with alot more interaction between all the anglers, ONE that won't leave anyone out of the fun!!!

WHAT:

A two day catch and release Carp Derby with a Family/Individual Catagory and Pro's Team Catagory.

There will be prizes for both boys and girls catagories , and cash or prizes for the top 10-20 biggest carp caught. Will have room for up to 250 people. This in not a pegged event so play nice.

For the more experienced anglers we will have a Team Derby Catagory with a bigger pot, and limited participation that will truly get everyone involved in promoting the sport of carp fishing.

WHEN:

Saturday August 27th from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and again on Sunday 28th from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

WHERE:

Both the north and south sides of the River along the downtown riverfront parks below the Dixon Dam.

HOW MUCH:

***Family Style Individual Catagory***

$12.00 for adults, $5.00 for kids 13 and under (participants entered as kids will only be elegable for kids prizes)

***Pro Team Catagory***

$100 per team, limited to 20 teams only with an unusual twist. To create more exposure for higher skill level carp fishing events, to promote safe fish handling , and to create a situation to help market CAG and its upcoming carp fishing events (CCC) I have decided to inter-mix the two skill leveled events in the same area to increase exposure for carp fishing and to make the event more managable. It should also eliminate some of the concerns people have about the waters by having everyone fish the waters less effected by the fish kill. The team event will involve one angler fishing one day....and the other fishing the second day (at the teams choice), the non-fishing angler will be asked to act as a weight steward on another section of water, I think this will be a great way to get the pro-s to interact with the family's, help to eliminate the concerns some have about cheating, and it will also create time for socializing. The other side to this is that it will create a whole series of new challenges and choices for the teammates to make.....who fishes first? do you fish a second spot the second day? Should I change to what the locals are using? Should I move mid day?Do I run shoulder to shoulder with the groups of people in the high numbers areas or try a secluded spot? etc.....etc....

The Teams weight will be the combined total of each anglers biggest single fish, and the highest combined weights will determine the winning order.

I know some will be concerned with fishing amongst others, but almost all Illinois anglers in CAG got their tournament start fishing a local derby so this will just be taking us back to our roots, and with all the "Volenteers" and with only 20 pro-anglers mixed in amongst the Family anglers at any one time over an area much, much bigger than Lowell Park I think this will be really neat....and really be a fun challenge.

HOW CAN I ENTER:

Northern Illinois bait shops in the the next few month will have entrys, Wacker Baits will also get applications. You can register by getting ahold of me direct (239) 246-2742. And some Illinois fishing magazines will have sign-ups in the August issues. A PM will hold the spot, with 50% payment due 30 days prior, cash prior to start.

WHAT COULD I WIN!!!

Family Individual Event

Right now there is $1,000 in cash sponsored by DIXON TOURISM, and The CITY OF DIXON. And hundreds of dollars in tackle prizes. And kids prizes gallore. The current prize totals are BEFORE anyone has entered. As entry's come in and more sponsors get involved we will post the new totals.........KEEP CHECKING BACK!!!!!

Team Derby Catagory

100% Payout Based on and limited to 20 teams only.

$1,000 First Place

$500 Second Place

$250 Third Place

$125 Biggest Mirror

$125 Biggest Koi/Hybrid

WHERE IS DIXON?

It in about 90 miles west, southwest of Chicago Illinois. ( about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from most of Chicago land, 45 min, from Rockford. There is ample motel and hotel space as well as camping near by. I will try to get Derby discounts and post them as I have them to post.

CAN I HELP?

YES!! pm me. Roving weigh stewards, judges, helpers (for the less skilled) and Membership drive personel for the CAG booth would be great. I have some ideas on how to thank those who help, but let me know your ideas if you volenteer.

SPONSORS:

This is a family event that in the past has had hundreds of participants each year, its a good place to be seen, a great group of potential customers, and local enough that you don't need to be just a tackle company. And any help in prizes or as stewards would be great!!!

FOOD?

Ohh!! Yeah!! Lots of good places to eat, and hopefully some roving food vendors at the event.

This year we will make sure the Booster Club has there food court open by the Paige Park Pavillion

AWARDS:

Will share a short ceremony with the pro event after the 2:00 closing. Location will be at the River Front Pavillion.

INDIVIDUAL EVENT RULES:

1) This event is catch and release and all fish must be released.

2) Only common, mirror, KOI and leather skin carp will count (german carp)

3) Cash prizes for biggtest 10 carp and prizes for the 11th-20th biggest carp caught by adults. One prize per angler, based on your largest fish. Prizes for Biggest five boys, and Prizes for biggest five girls.

4) NO BOATS! NO WADING! NO SWIMING! This is a shore fishing event.Do not enter the water at any time.

5) Be mindful of other anglers and try not to crowd them. This is an open event, so expect other anglers and conduct yourself in a courteous and sportsmanlike manner.

6) Two rods per angler (max) at any time , one hook per rod, and NO TREBLE HOOKS!!!

7) WEIGHING IN FISH: Roving judges with matched scales (pounds and ounces) will weigh your fish as they are caught.

Upon zero-ing out the scale and weigh sling the fish will be weighed and you will sign-off on the weight and time. All ties will go to the earlier caught fish.

At this time the fish will be released after pictures if desired. All fish, including non-carp must be released.

NO STRINGERS ALLOWED, FISH SACKS ARE AVAILABLE ***

8) In the event of a tie, the higher prize goes to the first to register their fish. In the event of a tie for 20th place, there will be two prizes.In the event of a tie both size and time the two anglers will split the two prizes equally.

9) You must abide by the rules of this derby as well as all applicable state, county, and local laws. Failure to do so

will result in your disqualification.

10) You must have a valid Illinois Fishing Liscence if you are over 16 years old.

11) No Fish sharing, if you didn't catch it ....it don't count. Kids may gain assistance from adults in landing their fish. And anyone can help net your fish.

12) Rulings of the judges AND DERBY DIRECTOR are final!

PRO TEAM CATAGORY RULES

(in addition to rules 1-12 of the individual event)

13) The Non-fishing team member will be asked to help weigh fish for derby and other teams, with full turn out you shouldn't need to make a whole day of it.

14) You will not weigh fish in the same section that your partner is fishing.....if your team mate moves into the section you are stewarding, you will need to change weighing fish with another non-fishing team member.

15) Remember your actions will set an example to all and please try to be understsnding of all the beginners....thanks.

That's all the time I have now, I will post more later. Poster and entrys are being worked on as I speak. I will also be announcing a Fish-In for out there as soon as I can find a free weekend so people can get a taste of what Carp Fishing in the Rock is like on the Lower River area. Talk to you soon...........Larry.

now to find a parnter B)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest THE BIG WORM

For those who have been asking, Here is the area open to fishing for both the Family Catagory , and the Team Catagory. Almost every type of structure and current exist somewhere in the 3 or so miles of shoreline. And the best part.....if you don't like your spot.....you can always move!!

post-3402-0-09095800-1311634590_thumb.jp

post-3402-0-71515700-1311634886_thumb.jp

Larry--Thanks for posting the map. It is more readable and accurate than the one I had put together. I have incorporated it into the entry brochure. You can download it for printing at the links below. For those interested, the "Pro" team entry form is also linked below.--Frank

Dixon Family Carp Derby information and entry

Entry/rules for Pro Team event.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest THE BIG WORM

Here is the tentative prize list for the Family portion of the events the weekend of August 27 and 28th.. I am awaiting confirmation from the city....but this should be pretty close.

DIXON FAMILY CARP DERBY PRIZES

(one winner per person)

Adult Catagory

$500 1st. place plus Trophy

$300 2nd place

$150 3rd place

$100 4th and 5th place

$75 6th and 7th place

$50 8th, 9th, and 10th place

$25 11th - 20th place

Boys (13 and under)

$50 1st place Plus medallion

$40 2nd place

$30 3rd place

$20 4th place

$10 5th place

Girls (13 and under)

$50 1st place Plus medallion

$40 2nd place

$30 3rd place

$20 4th place

$10 5th place

Additional prizes and trophys/medallions will be provided from sponsors, and myself to ensure all the kids 13 and under receive something and for the winners of the kids catagorys to get a little more. There will also be some raffle prizes provided by me.....As I get them together I'll post them. All participants are eligable for the raffle prizes including tackle boxes, bait, and MORE!!!

I have 5-6 teams that have given me a tentative yes on participating in the Team event. Please post here or Contact me at (239)246-2742 if you are planing to attend or need a partner. Also, Let me know if you need space for camping.

Guest THE BIG WORM

Turn out for the Derby should be much bigger this year....The managers of the Belvidere Carp-A-Thon allowed me to hand out info last week (about 350 brochures) and I think we we will see alot more anglers this year....and for many from these non-carp-friendly events this will be their first experience with catch and release carp fishing. Will be a great time to leed by example, and with such a positive responce to the mobile stewards last year in Dixon, I think that this kind of example could do alot to get the anglers to want catch and release at other events just for the convienience factor to start with. Still looking for a few more people willing to help steward. There will also be an anouncement after the Dixon Derby involving All the Derby's including a Wisconsin one......for 2012!!

Edited by THE BIG WORM

I'm still willing to help steward as part of the team tournament requirements, but at what point do you determine whether or not there will be a team tournament? Your latest report indicated 5-6 teams have indicated interest in entering. What is the minimum number of teams, and when will we know whether or not it's a go? Thanks.--Frank

Guest THE BIG WORM

I'm still willing to help steward as part of the team tournament requirements, but at what point do you determine whether or not there will be a team tournament? Your latest report indicated 5-6 teams have indicated interest in entering. What is the minimum number of teams, and when will we know whether or not it's a go? Thanks.--Frank

Still planing to have it, I was going to talk to you about it on Sunday in Montgomery. If that is not soon enough call me tomarrow at (239) 246-2742. Many of the CAG members have expressed more interest is fishing the derby with their families including some of the teams, and others have said they don't want to fish the derby but will stop by to just help out and go FlatHead fishing Saturday Night....all are welcome.

Still planing to have it, I was going to talk to you about it on Sunday in Montgomery. If that is not soon enough call me tomarrow at (239) 246-2742. Many of the CAG members have expressed more interest is fishing the derby with their families including some of the teams, and others have said they don't want to fish the derby but will stop by to just help out and go FlatHead fishing Saturday Night....all are welcome.

Thanks for the response, Larry. I'll try to pick up a few keepsacks today for the C&R event tomorrow.--Frank

Hey Larry, question here. Fish have to be alive when weighed in? Only reason im asking is, i have to pack up all my stuff when i catch one, go weigh it in, then go unload all my equiptment again? That could make for a long day if i catch 5 or 6 fish with increasing weights. Or risk the death of one in a keep sack or on a stringer.

Edited by 911carp

Hey Larry, question here. Fish have to be alive when weighed in? Only reason im asking is, i have to pack up all my stuff when i catch one, go weigh it in, then go unload all my equiptment again? That could make for a long day if i catch 5 or 6 fish with increasing weights. Or risk the death of one in a keep sack or on a stringer.

Or fish by other anglers you know and run your big one up if and when you get it!

Guest THE BIG WORM

I was out in Dixon today to drop off more applications....they are flying off the counter at Bunny's Bait an Tackle according to Ray. And the whole town is abuzz thanks to Banners the City has put up on all the roads coming into the down town. The water levels look just about perfect, and all the walkway work looked done....plenty of room to fish. Lots of locals and people from the Belvidere/Rockford areas have been coming down to practice. It will be nice to really show those folks the whole Catch and Release concept and maybe get them to ask for it at their own events in the future....Leading by Example does work.

As a favor to me, and out of the "Goodness in his Heart", Lee Young has offered an entry to the 2012 Wisconsin Carp Championship to be raffled off amongst those who help steward the event. He regrets that he cannot make it this year to help out due to his commitments to the U.S. Match Team Practices, and was hoping that by his positive encouragement and donation....others would step up to help out. I thank him and wish the team well, Good Luck.

Currently those who have offered to help rather than fish include:

John Chione, Andrew Chione, Larry Hemmens(offered a day), Edward, Paul Scott and his wife Laura. I was hoping some of the other CAG members might offer to help, I would like to have about 9-12 total each day if 200 people show. If that many don't, I would not need that many....but I won't know till that morning. I am going to try and shake down some other prizes for the Stewards to win from some of my shop owner friends and if turn-out is good I will sweeten the pot as well. I know if things go smooth and the turn out is good. I can get the city to help out Next year with a new format for a pro's event and pro events at the other derbies that could end up earning sponsorships for those teams that help steward this year....but that will come later. If you want to help, call me direct at (239) 246-2742, it would be nice to see people actually helping the derbie folks catch fish.

Last, Magda and Ernest at World Classic Baits have offered some derbie prizes....thank you.

Edited by THE BIG WORM

If the team event won't be happening, I'll opt out of the family event and help whatever day Larry H. isn't there (to even out the steward pool). Since I'm there just one day, there is no need to include me in the steward raffles.--Frank

Guest THE BIG WORM

More donations for the stewards raffles!!!!! Added to the steward raffle are gift cards from Anglers International Resources and gift certificates from Paul at Wacker Baits. Right now it looks like more Prizes than Stewards :lol: