Carp Anglers Group Forums

Official "2011 Dixon Carp Thing" Carp Derby

Guest THE BIG WORM

Whats the biggest carp in Dixon Derby last weekend? I dont fish there because I went to see my uncle and hes sick! I fished Orgeon, Dixon and Sterling many times! My late parents live near Dixon!

Derby is this weekend.........................................Fish-On Bill

Wow! Great weather is forecast for this weekend's Dixon Carp Derby. Larry K. has provided a wonderful opportunity for a friendly competition and for teaching/promoting C&R carp fishing. I will be stewarding rather than fishing, but it will still be a fun experience. Come on out to northwestern Illinois!--Frank

Click here for more details!

dixon_2011_banner.jpg

Guest THE BIG WORM

2" of rain brought the water level up 10" according to locals and the fish have started to bite. Water is just above average. Weather looks perfect....expect some misquitos. Prizes are loaded and I'll pick the trophys up at 10:30. See you all there. :)

Guest THE BIG WORM

Water levels are perfect, weather is great, local anglers have been practicing accordinh to Edward......a number of them even went out and bought their own Keep-Sacks!!! Lots of call on my phone....the city's ...and the local baitshops.....turn out could be good. Reception is good on the GSM so I will try to upload pictures as things happen. See you all in the morning.....Sign up starts 6:00am and fishing starts at 8:00am.

Water levels are perfect, weather is great, local anglers have been practicing accordinh to Edward......a number of them even went out and bought their own Keep-Sacks!!! Lots of call on my phone....the city's ...and the local baitshops.....turn out could be good. Reception is good on the GSM so I will try to upload pictures as things happen. See you all in the morning.....Sign up starts 6:00am and fishing starts at 8:00am.

Sounds good larry. I will be there around 430-500 see you then.

Guest THE BIG WORM

Three hours in and the weather couldn't be better....a beautiful day to go fishing. Attendence is up 80% on the anglers. The bite has been slow and there are still more prize than fish right now with seven on the board. 9-10 leads with 2-10 as the lowest and still 13 prizes with no one to take them home so if your sitting at home wondering if you have a chance all you need to do is show and Catch any carp to be inthe money!!! So show up Sunday. Fishing is from 8:00-2:00 Sunday

Last year all the biggest fish came on Sunday!!! At this time last year we had 48 fish counted....

The bite is getting and as more bait goes in....more fish move up!!!

Pictures to come later.

Congrats to Larry Kirchner for a well organized, enjoyable event. :yourock: Larry essentially turned this derby around from a gaf and weigh kill event to a very carp friendly endeavor. Congrats to Mike O. who took ninth place money in the event. It was also gratifying to see several CAG associates helping Larry with the stewarding duties on one or both days of the derby: Paul Scott, Laura Scott, John Chione, Andrew Chione, Edward from Dixon, Larry Hemmens, Paul Pezalla, Robert Kraft, Frank Rink. Good work!--Frank

Nice, well run event! I've never fished the section below the dam but did learn a lot about it today while working as a steward. Larry K made a lot of folks happy today at the awards presentation. Attendance has almost doubled in just two years and he has it well on it's way back to "old times". :yourock:

Edited by Larry H

Guest THE BIG WORM

Thanks for the kind words....

We had 79 anglers this year, up from 38 last year....Double +1!! :D Of the 79 anglers 16 were kids and 63 were adults with a kids heart. It was a nail bitter for me because it wasn't till the last hours that I had enough winners for all the prizes and winners for the boys and girls catagorys. Of course all the kids were winners, and with the help of Magda and Ernest at Would Classic Baits and my spinner bait supplier (me) we made sure all the kids got prizes.

I want to thank Paul Scott and Laura, Andrew and John Chione, Larry Hemmens, Robert Kraft, Edward Gassler, Paul Pezella, Frank Rink and my buddy Bill Loy for helping with the stewarding. Congrats to John Chione who won the steward big prize...a entry to the 2012 Wisconsin Carp Championship thanks to Lee Young. And thanks to Wacker Baits and Anglers International for gift cards for the other stewards prizes.

Thanks also to Dixon Tourism, the City of Dixon, Dixon Parks and Recreation and Mayor Jim Burke for their support and a great place to fish. Without their support...this dosen't happen....It's nice to see their forward thinking. Can't wait till next year!!!

One of the best moments for me this year was when I was signing up anglers, the father of last years Boys winner, Micheal Kreseneck came over to me and gave me a handfull of laundry/fish sacks he had picked, to make sure I had enough for the other anglers. It goes to show just how fast the mind set can be changed just by setting an example.

Of course the other best moments including seeing so many CAG members give back to a community that has always welcomed them in the past. It was really a great weekend, thank you all.

Here are the results.....

post-3402-0-06843500-1314590367_thumb.jp