Carp Anglers Group Forums

How Much Time Did You Need To Be Addicted From Carp Fishing ?

Few weeks ago me and my friend Darek went to one of the most potential water for carp fishing, many 30's and some numbers of 40's were pulled from this place in Green Bay area in eastern Wisconsin.

But this time I am not going to post my pictures with many carp what me and Darek captured during this trip. This time I want to tell very short story about some local guy who said "I fished for anything what bait".

I would like to share some amazing story about Jim, local guy from one of the great carp fishing spot in Wisconsin, and how fast he fallen in love for carp fishing.

We came to the spot, set our equipment, made a bait, prebait and started fishing carp one after another. Spot is before the spawning so many actions we had from the morning. A while later two local guys showed up and set right next to us. That was Jim with his step brother. We just said "hallo" and they started fishing. They used worms on the hook. They had few suckers and one catfish but Jim started to be very interesting why we have so many actions, and he came to us and starting to ask many question about our style of fishing, about carp fishing. Me and Darek were more than happy to answer all his question and I have seen Jim's face was so excited and I could read: he will be hooked to carp fishing as soon as he will pull first carp from water, what never happened to him before.

So I decided to throw few golf ball size groundbait to his swim where he fished and few handful of cooked maize what I had as a spod mix. Also I molded ball of groundbait around his sinker and let him cast his line to water, and I said: "Jim, be careful with your rod when carp will bait".

Not even ten minutes left when line from his cheap and simple reel was running out like crazy. He grabbed the rod and fighting, with his first ever carp was ON !!!

His step brother netted the fish and nice 22 lbs carp was ready for picture !!!!

What a start Jim I said, 22 lbs carp on the beginning.

I gave him more groundbait and he and his brother were catching carp until they left.

On the end of the day I told him to go online and find simple recipe for oats pack baits, boilies recipe and maize.

I explained him how properly weight the fish (he has his own scale - simple Walmart one), and how properly hold the carp and make a pictures.

He left and I forgot to share phone numbers with him :(.

We came back to the same spot with my friend Darek few days later and fished same spot what before. I had blast this day, caught so many carp, but again I am not going post any pictures because main role in this story again played...local angler Jim who on the beginning said "I fished for anything what bait".

He showed up, welcome us and went to his pick up truck to get something. I see Jim was carrying small cooler and few zip locks.

In the cooler he had his own oats mixed pack bait and in zip lock he had HIS OWN FIRST HOME MADE BOILIES !!!!!

I could not believe it !!!! After few days he caught his first carp he already made his own bait, and hookbaits !!!

post-4522-0-70784200-1307502632_thumb.jp

post-4522-0-42570900-1307502648_thumb.jp

I knew it Jim will be fishing for carp, but I did not think so soon !!! :)

Jim said he was fishing everyday for carp since last time we saw him there. He said now I am fishing only for carp. He caught everyday some numbers of carp but nothing bigger than 22 lbs his PB from last time we fished there.

He had black thick garbage bag for weighting fish what impressed me the most !!!!

He left early this day, I wished him good luck and said hope to see him again soon and ... I forgot again share the phone numbers with Jim :(

...looks like the end of the story.

But not...

I was not planning to be back to this place again this spring, but my friend Darek decided to give a chance one more time. He called me in the morning and said he is on the way up north to Wisconsin. I wished him good luck and asked him if he will meet Jim please take a phone number from him.

And Yes, Darek met Jim on the fishing bank, and yes Darek took phone number from Jim and sent it to me by text with this picture of Jim:

Please take a look:

Ready ??? ;)

post-4522-0-14727400-1307503164_thumb.jp

YES on the picture is a Jim the guy "who fished for anything what bait" with his great NEW PERSONAL BEST CARP and GREAT MIRROR CARP at 36 lbs caught on his own home made boilies !!!!!!!!!!

I could not say the word for little while, I do not know I was a jealous, impressed or anything else...after while I realized I was so proud of Jim and happy of his great capture !!!!

After while he called me...that was great what I heard. He said: "Paul Thank You so much for everything what You showed about carp fishing to me, now I am only carp fishermen with all the carp get back to water in good condition like You asked and showed to me". He said he is going to show a magic of carp fishing to others magic what changed Jim's opinion about carp at all !!!!

I was so proud of Jim, amazing !!!!

He is a simple local guy, over 40 years old , former surfer, out of job for now but with great passion to all kind of fishing and since day he met me and Darek he has great passion to carp fishing.

I wish Jim all best in his personal life, professional life and new carp fishing life. At least he is so happy when he is fishing, even if he stayed without the job he enjoy fishing and now carp fishing so much. I know it everything is going to change in his life, I wish it !!!

Great Job Jim !!!!

ps. we already set the date of overnight fishing with Jim on his spot, he just text to me today because he bought 50 lbs of field corn and he started to soaked it for prebait the spot :)

He still asks so many questions about carp fishing and I am happy to answering him. I gave him few simple tools for rigs and tied few hair rigs for him.

So on the end of the story: "How long we need to be addicted from carp fishing???"

answer is: Jim needed around 10 minutes :)

BTW, I did not catch any carp almost my first one year :), but did not give up, I knew it this day will arrive :), I am so impressed how fast Jim's Big Day arrived and this is not over, he is on the river everyday fishing for carp now. So I will not be surprised to get text tomorrow with another Wisconsin monster, what I really wish to see :)

ps. I bet this is one of the biggest mirror carp ever caught from Wisconsin waters, and I am so happy was caught by great guy what Jim is after my little education to him about carp fishing...

IT IS ALL ABOUT SHARING !!!!

best regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Sander

Thats AWESOME Paul great story!!!!!!! That is exactly how we can all spread the joy of carp fishing. I have been hooked for a few years now and I have yet to land a fish over 30 let alone a 3lb MIRROR :yourock::yourock:

Is he a CAG member yet?? LOL

That is one for the books! Congrats to Jim on his capture of a Great looking fish! :yourock:

HOPPY4

Paul,

Great story and great write up! That's what it is all about.

Nothing better than getting more people addicted! Took 1 big run with a screaming alarm for me and that was it. Thats after years of fishing for steelhead and salmon across the US and chartering the great lakes.

Great job!

GREAT COACHING!! If you coach baseball as well as you do fishing the Cubs need you. Great Story and getting someone off to a great start has to be very satisfying. Capt.

Thats AWESOME Paul great story!!!!!!! That is exactly how we can all spread the joy of carp fishing. I have been hooked for a few years now and I have yet to land a fish over 30 let alone a 3lb MIRROR :yourock::yourock:

Is he a CAG member yet?? LOL

I am sure he will become a member soon :)

Good job paul! I know its not your cup of tea, but maybe we can turn him into a tournament angler :P We need more of those in illinois and wisconsin ;) He is closer than most of us to two rivers so maybe he could enter next year. With all those big one's he's catching he will be expert for the 2012 WCC B)

Hope too see you on the bank soon.

Good job paul! I know its not your cup of tea, but maybe we can turn him into a tournament angler :P We need more of those in illinois and wisconsin ;) He is closer than most of us to two rivers so maybe he could enter next year. With all those big one's he's catching he will be expert for the 2012 WCC B)

Hope too see you on the bank soon.

:)

You know Mike,

everybody wants to try taste of carp tournaments (as I did) so who knows maybe some new, fresh group of carp anglers one day will show all of us pros how job need to be done :)

Wonderful story Paul, that's how most of my carpin' buddies have started... wondering what the heck I was up to, and wandering over to take a closer look... sometimes doesn't take long to turn a Walleye or Salmon or Musky angler to "The Dark Side"! ;)

You can pass my phone number along to The Mirror Man if you get the chance... I have a few new spots for him to try, when the fish under that bridge move on... :D