Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
john montana

Carping With Mctage

Legendary CO based fly rod carper Mctage made the journey to OR to join me for a few days of carping in the high, dirty, nasty Columbia waters. Yes, the water is high. It was a great trip highlighted by some fantastic takes, ninja style stealth, big fish, unique settings (I caught a 21 lb fish a few feet away from an overturned picnic table) and great company. I enjoyed fishing with Mctage and was thrilled when he stuck this massive 23 lb monster...from his knees after an extended stalk too!

44e5b51a.png

We caught some real monsters with the five biggest fish weighing 21, 22, 23, 23 and 31 lbs. I caught this 23 lber on the last day.

ac52dd85.png

The 31 brute was caught on a size 8 black and orange soft hackle...she took the fly by simply stopping over the top of it and hoovering it off the bottom like a vacuum cleaner.

9b9a874d.png

af12f694.png

So many stories and images in my mind that I can't really keep things straight. Overall, it was just a fantastic couple of days. We brought roughly 100 carp to hand with a ton of solid 12-19 lb fish. The high water is difficult, but pretty interesting!

b0a7f8c3.png

3c580a84.png

6a10d474.png

Thanks again for coming out Mctage! Great fishing with you...

Incredible captures, especially considering the water conditions.rock.gif

nice report incredible fishes Mr Montana I see that the hard conditions doesn't stop you

WTG. congrats.

Guest FREDRICK

Don't know how you guys do it ! Around here the carp aren't as big but are super hard to catch I'm good caster and i'm lucky if I can catch one a day and they don't chase the fly at all you almost have to put in their mouth for them take it :bonk:

Edited by FREDRICK

not sure where you are Frederick, but the fish are similar out in OR. they flat out don't chase flies. i basically still fish for them, or get them to move a couple of inches max. they just don't like to move very far. i'd love to find some fish that would chase crayfish patterns! i need to visit the great lakes!

Don't know how you guys do it ! Around here the carp aren't as big but are super hard to catch I'm good caster and i'm lucky if I can catch one a day and they don't chase the fly at all you almost have to put in their mouth for them take it :bonk:

At least you have a chance at them with a fly. I have never seen any feeding carp anywhere in Northern California except for surface feeding induced by feeding bread to ducks. If I were to try for the surface feeders, I would be way more likely to catch a duck unless I'm really fast at jerking the fly away from them.

Most waters in this area have no more than 4 or 5 feet visibility and usually less. We see a lot of bubbles that indicate carp feeding on the bottom but we can't see the carp so there's no way to sight fish for them. I assume you folks catch all your fish by sight fishing since I'm pretty sure a carp would spit out a fly before we knew we were being bit. I would love to catch just one carp on a fly before I die but I don't see it happeninmg in this area. I have caught many carp into the low 20's with 6 weight fly gear baited with corn and it's a great thrill fighting them on the fly tackle. Sorry for rambling on, I'm getting quite senile these days.~8