Carp Anglers Group Forums

Steve (Keepnet) Clow won a weeks fishing with the St Lawrence Experience on TOKS Big 4 but generously re-negotiated it to a weekend stay to include Ethan Kloehn, Nigel Griffin and myself.

We traveled north in the early hours of Friday morning and arrived around noon to be met by our gracious host Joe. After settling into our well equipped cabin we set out on the boat to explore the area and look at the various swims available. After several days of blistering weather the conditions showed a change to cooler conditions with a significant wind shift out of the east. This prompted us to fish the swims (and into the wind) a short walk from the cabin. After baiting up we decided on an early dinner and a quick evening session before taking advantage of a decent nights sleep in the cabin and an early start the next morning.

post-479-0-70119400-1308321174_thumb.jpg

St Larry Experience cabins are cozy and well equipped.

Saturday dawned bright & breezy with several fish showing over the right hand swims quickly producing results with 23, 27 & 29 for Steve and several up to 22 for Nigel. While Nigel & Steve continued steadily Ethan and I finally joined the fray. Ethan landed a cracking common of 35.04 while Steve doubled up for the photo with a 28.04. Taking advantage of the cabin comforts and a much needed break we opted for an early dinner and an evening session before being driven back to the shelter of the cabin by an impending thunderstorm and the prospect of stampeding bovines!

post-479-0-64672200-1308321274_thumb.jpg

Ethan's 35.04

post-479-0-64896400-1308321225_thumb.jpg

Steve's 28.04

Calmer conditions and a wind shift welcomed us back at the crack of dawn on Sunday. Plenty of fish rolling over the baited areas and the runs came steadily throughout the morning including a 28.14 for Nigel and a 24.02 for Steve and a 23 for Ethan and a 24.06 for myself. I was struggling with several break offs in my swim and opted to add a 25lb flourcarbon shock leader that seemed to minimize the problem.

post-479-0-28973700-1308321247_thumb.jpg

Nigel 28.14

post-479-0-79433100-1308321290_thumb.jpg

Local lad & junior champion Ian came down to hang-out in the afternoon and while we were chatting I had a hesitant run. Unlike the some of the previous fish that went off like scalded cats this one felt quite a bit different... a steady battle ensued - more like playing a super-tanker than a speed boat! Ian offered his assistance with the net and as the fish came close his relayed estimates on its size grew rapidly. As he waded ashore he was convinced it was a forty and the scales bottomed out at 43.04 - a new pb! At only 37" this was clearly a heavily spawn bound fish that we treated with the utmost care and quickly released with the minimum stress.

post-479-0-55967100-1308321189_thumb.jpg

Iain's 43.04

Another dinner break - this time a top notch Sherherds pie from Nigel. While our chef went for the comfort of the cabin Steve, Ethan & myself decided to fish through the night. Around 11pm I climbed down the wet & slippery bank to net a fish for Steve but coming back up managed to fall in! Steve & Ethan stayed out for the duration while I retired to the cabin for a hot shower and plans for an early start.

post-479-0-54322500-1308321258_thumb.jpg

Looking down on the swims

With plans to be off the water at 11am for our return to Connecticut we made the most of the final hours with a steady haul of nice fish including several more twenties to 25.14. Joe kindly swung by with the pick-up truck making it easier to haul the usual mountain of gear, bivvies etc back up to the cabins.

After thanking Joe for his hospitality and a promise to be back we loaded up the trailer for the journey home...

A quick note to non-citizens and legal aliens... we ran into a US Border patrol road check along Rt 37. Even though we had not left the USA we were warned that for two of us we should have been our carrying green cards as the consequences for not having them at all times could result in a $10,000 fine! And don't even think about 'pretending' as your residency status shows up when they check your drivers license!

post-479-0-63636200-1308321303_thumb.jpg

Looks like you guys had a great time I am missing fishing the Larry. My fiance grew up in Waddington and her parents are still there so I would fish the larry at least once a month and now being out west It sucks not to be able to fish there...

Great session fellas. Congrats on the 43. Ian sent me pics right away from his phone telling about the fish. I was looking forward to a good camera shot. The head on pic is outstanding!!!!

Very Nice Indeed! Congrats Guys!

HOPPY4

Guest phonebush

Savay,

Congrats on the new fish. I've been hesitant to post as I take personally the need for US Border Patrol's involvment. I hope the boys were civil and it didn't take away from your quality adventure. What can I say?

Phone

Savay,

Congrats on the new fish. I've been hesitant to post as I take personally the need for US Border Patrol's involvment. I hope the boys were civil and it didn't take away from your quality adventure. What can I say?

Phone

You'll find no issue with me on border patrols... other than my subsequent research indicates the fine is actually $100 not the $10,000 they quoted - lol.

Awesome trip lads, and congrats on the 43, nice one!

I had a 'green card border incident' one year on a greyhound bus at El Paso. They got real up-tight and jumping outa their prams 'coz I only had my driver license.

Awesome trip lads, and congrats on the 43, nice one!

I had a 'green card border incident' one year on a greyhound bus at El Paso. They got real up-tight and jumping outa their prams 'coz I only had my driver license.

Yep - And apparently your drivers license also reveals your resident alien status...

Yep - And apparently your drivers license also reveals your resident alien status...

Well in that case, what's the need to carry it? They were worried 'coz I was near the Mexican border, I said "lady I'm not going to Mexico or want to". She was like the typical London clippies, give 'em a uniform with a peaked cap and a machine that punches tickets, and they rule the world.

Great session fellas. Congrats on the 43. Ian sent me pics right away from his phone telling about the fish. I was looking forward to a good camera shot. The head on pic is outstanding!!!!

You mean these shots... lol

post-479-0-48446500-1308409917_thumb.jpg

post-479-0-36807600-1308409918_thumb.jpg

The girth measured out a 31" which was much less than I expected. However it was that 'round' for perhaps 70% of its overall length of 37".