Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
derds126

July 4Th Session

Well it's 4th of July, Independence Day. And what better way to celebrate our succesfull revolution against the British than to go carp fishing? So today I went down to my usual haunts, an abandoned water golf driving range, and baited up with a mix of homemade boilies, maize, and coconut frosting. I arrived around 330 and had only one take from then until 730 or 8 from a catfish at around 645. My small pond has few people that fish it other than myself and I was surprised to see a family of four came down to catch something. They only fished for about a half hour but, 20 minutes after they arrived I got a screaming take. And when I say screaming I mean it was downright terrifying! I jumped out of my lawn chair, slipped on the bank, caught myself, grabbed the rod and started fighting the fish. A rather short fight but very intense resulted in an 8.5 lb common. Showed the kids and slipped her back. The family left in ten or so mintues and 15 minutes later my sister showed up. She was out on a run and thought she would see how I was doing. Within 5 minutes we had another take same rod. I let her fight the fish for a minute but she told me to take it. That fish weighed 10.5 and was 26 inches long with an 18 inch girth, a porker for a wild carp. We sat and talked and then another take, same rod. This fish was big I could tell by the fight. I got the fish within viewing range and saw the tail as it dove back down and I said "OH MY GOD". The fish tiring quickly was slipped in the net. Awesome!!! The fish was lifted out of the water and onto the mat. Upon unhooking I saw a large black scale on her left side and I thought "That looks familiar". I had caught the same fish a year before on homemade boilies when I had first started carping. I lifted the carp in the sling and the Berkley scale read 18 lbs even. I shaking with excitement, and then my Dad walks up and goes "How big is that one?!" I got a picture and slipped her back to get her again. My Dad and sister left and I was alone for another hour. Then I got a huge take and the fish buried in the thick weed. I pumped and pumped and I guess I went too hard because the line came slack, I reeled in and found the stout VMC hook straightened. I was furious, I can understand a hook pull from horsing the fish but not a straightened hook, not using VMC's again. But I learned alot today and got a new PB out of it. A good day if you ask me.

-Nathan

NathanCarp18.jpg

Great job Nathan. Nice write up and welcome to the Forum.

I see you are from Saginaw. I am up in nr Gladwin now but was living in Midland up to a couple of years ago. Note if you want to meet some of your fellow Mi carpers there is a fishin down the road in Flint next weekend.

Good luck exploring your pond and don't forget the rivers around you give up some hefty fish. cool.gif

Wow, sweet first post. Let me start out by saying welcome to CAG! You are in a good area for carp, with the Titabawassee River, and Saginaw River in your backyard! If you want to get together with some fellow carpers, look for the Flint River fish in thread for details on a CAG fishin that is going on this Saturday. If you need anything, my phone number and email are listed above, give me a shout and I can point you in the right direction.

It's great to see Michigan getting such enthusiastic young carpers!

Would love to go to fish-in but grandparents 50th anniversary this weekend. Big family get together. It will be the fourth time in 17 years that all seven of their children have been together at once. Will be pretty cool. COuld always go for an hour or so at the river or something though ;)

Just asked dad said I could go if my sisters softball scheduele allows. There is a 5050 chance but I will go if I can.

Awesome fish Nathan! And welcome to CAG! :D

I am from Michigan myself, but down in NC for school...the carp crew in Michigan are great people, so dont be afraid to ask questions and go fishing with them! Made many lifelong friendships fishing for carp with these guys :)