Carp Anglers Group Forums
McTage

Carpslam Champions

Thought I would share some fun news. My partner and I won the Denver Pro/Am Carp-Slam fly fishing tournament this weekend! Gonna have to make me one of them spiffy brag lists at the bottom of posts or something....

We had a great day with lots of opportunities for feeding fish. I think we hooked 17 which is a ridiculous amount of hook-ups on the South Platte (most ever in this tournament by a large margin), but we only landed 5 which is one of the worst landing ratio days on carp I can ever remember having! Fortunately 5 fish at 111" was enough or we would have been pretty bummed out.

At any rate I figured that CAG would like to know that the only CAG member (I think) in the tournament went home as the Amatuer champion!

http://flycarpin.blogspot.com/2011/08/2011-dtu-pro-am-carp-slam-champions.html

http://flycarpin.blogspot.com/2011/08/carp-slam-v-recap-big-picture.html

Well done. I hope you don't mind if it comes from a non fly angler.

Of course not! I wouldnt be on CAG if I didnt respect the non-fly-guys! I look through the non-fly posts all the time and learn allot.

Congrats!

Sorry I missed this years event, just too much on the plate to make it out. I do already have it on the calender for '12. Not only a CAG member buy a fellow Oklahoma Sooner Nation Alumni even makes it better. ;)

David,

Boomer Sooner! I noticed you werent there. Was a bummer, I really enjoyed talking with you last year! I actually would really like to come down for OK and try fly-fishing in one of your tournaments someday just for fun (knowing I wouldnt have a prayer).

CarpHead,

Have you tried much yet? If you are an experienced carper with other methods it shouldnt be too bad, you probably already have a better understanding of carp behavior than some of us coming at it from fly fishing for other species.

And oh yeah. Just noticed....not actually a CAG member anymore, must have missed my renewal! Will have to fix that.

CarpHead,

Have you tried much yet? If you are an experienced carper with other methods it shouldnt be too bad, you probably already have a better understanding of carp behavior than some of us coming at it from fly fishing for other species.

My problem is I have never seen carp tailing or feeding anyway except bread on the surface. I'm 71 years old and have been fishing for many species, including carp, since I was 14 years old. I live in Northern California on Clear Lake but lived many years in the San Francisco Bay Area. I know I could catch them with a bread fly after feeding the ducks but they're making it illegal to feed ducks just about everywhere in N. Ca. now. I guess I could do a bit of illegal chumming and then fish blind over the area but I've heard this is a rough road to take.

My fly fishing skills are not great but I used to be able to get a shad fly out to 80 feet or so with a 30 foot shooting head and 20 lb mono for shooting line. I can only guess the weight rods and line we used in those days as they used a letter system to rate them. I'm going to guess I was using a 9 or 10 weight rig most of the time but I had a larger rod that was probably a 12 weight for catching stripers. I never used a full length fly line then, only 30 foot shooting heads from Scientific Anglers.

I bought a little 8 foot 6/7 weight rod with a 6 wt floating line and started playing around but haven't had any success yet. I guess I'd have to take a long drive to the Columbia River for a chance at success but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Keep on catching those bronze battlers..

Thought I would share some fun news. My partner and I won the Denver Pro/Am Carp-Slam fly fishing tournament this weekend! Gonna have to make me one of them spiffy brag lists at the bottom of posts or something....

We had a great day with lots of opportunities for feeding fish. I think we hooked 17 which is a ridiculous amount of hook-ups on the South Platte (most ever in this tournament by a large margin), but we only landed 5 which is one of the worst landing ratio days on carp I can ever remember having! Fortunately 5 fish at 111" was enough or we would have been pretty bummed out.

At any rate I figured that CAG would like to know that the only CAG member (I think) in the tournament went home as the Amatuer champion!

http://flycarpin.blogspot.com/2011/08/2011-dtu-pro-am-carp-slam-champions.html

http://flycarpin.blogspot.com/2011/08/carp-slam-v-recap-big-picture.html

Great articles on the contest and what may be considered leading edge fly fishing!

Congrats to both you and your partner Packo!

Way to represent CAG!!! :yourock: