Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bill de Brooklyn

How To Stalk Carp

Am I the only one that thinks chumming goes against the whole fly fishing thing? Isn't catching carp (or any fish) on the fly about fooling the fish with an artificial? To each their own of course, just curious where others stand. It doesnt matter out here in OR since it is illegal anyway.

Does shaking the mulberry tree count as chumming? Never did it, never wanted to. When carp are hanging out under a mulberry tree, I want my fly to be the only berry they see.

Am I the only one that thinks chumming goes against the whole fly fishing thing? Isn't catching carp (or any fish) on the fly about fooling the fish with an artificial? To each their own of course, just curious where others stand. It doesnt matter out here in OR since it is illegal anyway.

the problem is how does one fly fish for carp when the carp do not live in clear water? I live in an area where there are big brown fisheries, like lakes & ponds. I agree, if you can see feeding fish, there is no need to chum. but when carp can not be seen unless they are feeding on the surface, I have no problem using chum. Chumming does not create a "slam dunk" when fishing for carp in my area. carp do not always react the way you want them to react. I am not a classically trained fly fisher. I learned to fish in the dozens of ponds & lakes in and around New York City. I had to master the roll cast and later the various spey casting techniques, in order to reach fish. few of the places I fish, allow wading or have room for back casting. For me chumming is a way of creating opportunities to catch carp in brown water.

All of the rivers near NYC are brackish, tidal water. A few years ago I talked with Brad Befus about the dry flies we use in our waters. I mentioned the deer hair pellet fly, tarantulas and madam X worked on the Passaic river. and Brad looked at me with confusion, he had never used these flies but I had never caught a carp with any of his flies either. Different waters require different tactics.

Edited by Bill de Brooklyn

I see the merit of Bill's argument, but I have brown water and don't chum. Nevertheless, I do fish under ducks being fed bread and popcorn, when it is new it is as easy as carpin can get, but they get wise. Hypocritical? I suppose, but if it was not happening I would not do it myself. Actually, we figured out that a raft of ducks often has carp lurking underneath, with no one feeding. being an angling geography nut I'd like to see Bill's water and his fish. As well as the Columbia giants.

Gregg

I don't have a water. I fish more than 40 lakes and ponds in the NYC area ( NYC & parts of New Jersey) each year. That does not include The Passaic river, The Hackensack river or The Bronx river. In my area feeding waterfowl is illegal. When I speak of brown water, I'm talking about water where carp are not visable at all. Not all places I fish are like that but it is not unusual. Not all carp can be chummed up to the surface either. chumming is a tactic I use to get carp to open their mouths. It doesn't work in the rivers I fish but it does work in several of the ponds & lakes I fish for carp.

see my blog: The Great Lakes Of NYC http://thegreatlakesofnyc.blogspot.com/

Edited by Bill de Brooklyn

I have had a lot of success in discolored water fishing to bubble streams and just staying in contact with the fly. Not as fun as sight fishing, but there are some decent carp in a few chocolate ponds out here. I will try the I dictator per Gregg this spring.

Bill,

I meant the same, water that one does not see fish in for one reason or the other, I have more than one pond trust me. Feeding waterfowl is illegal but people do it anyway and is so common no one cares of authority. I mean signs tell of the danger to fowl but folks don't care. If I see signs of carp feeding I figure I've enough of a chance for a dawn to dusk try. Bubbles, love 'em. I know your website, you are a master at it. I think I know what you mean Montana, it works.

Gregg

I had a bad experience with a duck while carp fishing once & have avoided that situation ever since. I do not use chum when there are waterfowl or turtle on the water. hooked a big snapping turtle too!