Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shad

Possible Areas For Trip In May

Hi All

Im looking for suggestions for a trip within the USA in May.

I shall be in Florida till May 13th then have a week free which I would like to spend Carping.

Ive been to Lake Michigan before and would love to go up there again but I think its a little to early in the season for MI.

So anyone any Ideas on where I might find good Carp sight fishing Mid May?

Many thanks Colin

Colin - good to see you on the forum again.

Unfortunately I think you may be right unless we have an unusually warm spring (and the fall/winter here so far has certainly been mild) - Mid May may be a little early for sight fishing carp on the Lake Mi flats - at least at the North end? Even though I'm sure there will be some fish around likely not in the numbers you would see a month or so later unless you run into really good weather. That is certainly a good time for carp fishing using conventional tactics around here but for fly fishing in May on the flats you would likely be much better off targeting smallmouth bass and of course trout in the rivers since the Steelhead will be done by then.

I haven't heard much about it but maybe some of the Ohio guys can give you insight on fishing the south shore of Erie or the Illinois folks about the south end of Lake Michigan. I would have to assume it offers opportunities like Northern Michigan and should be an earlier fishery?

Good luck whatever you decide and let me know if I can help?

They hold a fly fishing tournament at Blackfoot reservoir in May. I am not fond about how they do the tournament but it is a charrity carp fly tourney. Its called carpapalooza. Did I mention that blackfoot is LOADED with MIRRORS haha.

I believe that I will be making a trip back there again next year we did well this year. Good luck with your ventures.

One year I will fish the Blackfoot res. still looking for a 20 lb mirror on the fly.

The big fish of the tourney was over 30 I dont remember exact weight but it was 30s

We landed several over 20 and one over 30. Look up the Blackfoot fishin from last may and have a peek at the pics.

It is on my list. Did you see good fly water (knee deep water that extends for a ways)? I know they hold a fly tournament there so there must be good fly water, but I am not really a tourney kind of guy!

There are several areas that are shallow I think it is the south end of the reservoir they call the shallows. From what I have heard there is lots of good fly water. It was hard to see it when we were there a good part of the time it was snowing blowing raining etc etc whitecaps even. But yes there is some good areas for fly fishing one day I will give it a shot. You can access probably 80% of the bank all the way around there is only a small section that is posted.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now Blackfoot reservoir looks really interesting and Ive started reading of other good Carp in the area.

Never been out West before Im now looking into doing a road trip from LA or Vegas up to Idaho.Maybe 2/3 days drive up, 3 days fishing then take 2/3 days to drive back another route- so much to see over there.

Will report on what happens....

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now Blackfoot reservoir looks really interesting and Ive started reading of other good Carp in the area.

Never been out West before Im now looking into doing a road trip from LA or Vegas up to Idaho.Maybe 2/3 days drive up, 3 days fishing then take 2/3 days to drive back another route- so much to see over there.

Will report on what happens....

Let me know if you are able to make it and wouldn't mind some company I want to get back over there again. I would like to make it over there a couple times this coming year.

Hi All

Im looking for suggestions for a trip within the USA in May.

I shall be in Florida till May 13th then have a week free which I would like to spend Carping.

Ive been to Lake Michigan before and would love to go up there again but I think its a little to early in the season for MI.

So anyone any Ideas on where I might find good Carp sight fishing Mid May?

Many thanks Colin

You can do very well on the southern end of Lake Michigan in May, Ive been fishing that area for the past half dozen years and you can get a good mixed bag, smallies, drum, carp....A good friend of mine guides this area http://www.grabyourflycharters.com/index.html hes top notch and wont go out if the fishings off. I would be glad to point you in the right direction and show you some water if you decide to make it to the area.

Yep I've been fishing with Austin for a couple years now, cant say enough good things about him first class. The skiff he uses is just awsome, I've been out in it many times and his rates are very reasonable. The carp on are Lake Michigan flats are seasonel at times, but he also runs a drift boat on an excellent river (kankakee) for smallmouth/carp trips when the lake aint right. PM if you want to do a little carp'n.