Carp Anglers Group Forums
Bill de Brooklyn

Everything You Were Afraid To Ask About Koi

OMG !!!!!!!! wipeing the drool off from that fish at 1:27 , UNFREKIN REAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe one day .

Some gorgeous fish there.Funny how people here see carp as beautifull when they are 'Painted' until then people say theyre ugly! Exactly the same all bar colour.

We have a pond where what we have always called goldfish manage to reproduce and grow very large with bass, crappie, avian predators that I would think could decimate such brilliant fish. I've seen them caught to 15lb., a guess so plus or minus. It has been suggested they may be koi insread. I do know that people everywhere release pet shop goldfish places after they have grown large, or are they koi? Demands investigation. Most are somewhat calico orange with black spots, though big pale blond ones like I veiwed in the clip are there as well. They are far more difficult to fool than the common carp they share this place with.

Gregg

Gregg - I have yet to catch one myself of either kind but I think I read that it is pretty easy to tell. KOI have barbells, goldfish do not. Easy peasy but correct? Now all I have to do is find some of my own to ID!!!!!!

Speaking of koi...a blast from the past, Highway Cone:

highwaycone012.jpg

Took me seven months to finally catch that fish. Spooky bugger. Finally caught her on a green bugger type of fly. I had to lie on ,y stomache and put the fly in the water...just laid there until highway cone swam by.

Edited by john montana

Had one Koi, I would estimate 8-10 lb, as would the guy holding met net. I lost it where I always lose them, right close to the shore, the guy lunge at the koi, trying to scoop the koi up sideways so it ran hard and snapped the line on my tight drag :angry2: Still that's a great video and a great reason to go to Japan!

Sweet John, I was trying to show that picture to Kim a while back and couldnt find it anywhere. She was duly impressed, more so than with my boring pictures of commons at any rate!

What has surprised me the most while learning to fish for carp is the number of koi I've observed in urban ponds and lakes. many are over two feet long not counting any fan tails. Some could support the weight of a toddler if they would allow toddlers to sit on their backs. No one has an explantion for how so many of these valuable fish got into city water. In spite of their color they are elusive and hard to fool. I've had a koi circle my fly as many as 3 separate times and swim away because the koi didn't like my fly. They have an unusal, compared to common carp, swim pattern while searching for food. I look forward to trying to catch one this year.

Bill,

I agree with all you say there. Here they also seem more surface oriented than commons. You have caught them I have only hooked them, one grey hounded wildly and pulled free. I am amazed that predators don't decimate those colorful bits of protein when young, and avian predators as adults (not the horses.)

Gregg