Carp Anglers Group Forums

Good News And Bad News, All In A Couple 100's Of A Second.

Willem (JD)

Sooooooo..... I informed my work that I'll be out of town for a day or ten because I'm going down to Austin TX to fish the ATC .....

I was so exited to fish LBL, meet the TX guys, then today, something VERY unexpected and unplanned changed my plans for me....

This little block of wood, 1-3/4W x 1-1/4H x 7L, changed all my plans to fish the 2012 ATC and visit the guys a Lake Fork after-wards.

post-5480-0-29505000-1327813237_thumb.jp

It cost me the best excuse so far this year to buy a crap-load of new carp stuff. I planned for some new reels and much more......... but no more ........... well, not till I can find another good excuse.

It all started Jan 7 2012 when the above piece of wood started taking shape and without my knowledge, started it's plan to cancel my ATC trip.

It was so bad that the piece of wood did not only change shape, it also turned GREEN with envy when it found out I get to go to TEXAS.

post-5480-0-48614100-1327813171_thumb.jp

For those never involved with the cub scouts, it's called the "Pinewood Derby".

It all started on Jan 7, 2012 when we started shaping the block of wood. The idea was for father and son to create a car out of that block of wood, that will compete in a race against 55 other cars.

The final car is not allowed to tip the scales more than 5oz. It can not be longer than 7 inches, overall width of the car including wheels and axles must not exceed 2-3/4 inches, height of the car must not exceed 4 inches, cars must be gravity powered only.

Soooooo many rules !!!!

So father and son decided we’ll be very happy if our creation can cross the finish line and not be last.

We decided on a shape and color, 20 days later we had our “Mean Green Racing Machine” #7.

Personally my son and I was happy to get this “Derby thing” over with because it interfered with our fish (AND BOY WAS TODAY A GREAT DAY OUTSIDE TO GO FISH).

The races started and everybody’s cars are FAST, running great times!!!!

post-5480-0-56355200-1327814427_thumb.jppost-5480-0-95410000-1327814430_thumb.jppost-5480-0-47991700-1327814433_thumb.jp

Then it was time for our car to line up for 6 races ………

post-5480-0-30639600-1327814721_thumb.jp

Errrmmm we won each run ……… We thought we’re just lucky and ran with the slower cars.

Then came the Semi’s and we won AGAIN!!!!!

post-5480-0-74554000-1327815095_thumb.jp

OMG !!!!! Much better than the “just not last” we hoped for. We realized luck can carry anybody only so far and that we’ll be happy with 6th place in the final heat……………

…………The gates opened and the cars are off for the final………I could NOT believe my eyes when the “Mean Green racing Machine” crossed the line FIRST AGAIN!!!!

post-5480-0-39559900-1327815091_thumb.jp

Ecstatic with excitement my son & I congratulated each other and I can honestly say I was the proudest father in that Gym at that moment.

Then came the announcement over the PA speakers that the “Green Mean Racing Machine” will be the car representing Pack 37 at the regionals on the week-end of …………………………

FEB 25 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The feeling was a sick excitement …. Sick since I realized it’s the same date as the ATC, excitement that my son and I achieved another farther and son success and have another story for the scrapbook.

Now comes the part of the story that made me so proud of my son, and ensured me that he’s on the right path of life. He showed me that he knows life is not all about glory, but that life is about want you love most.

He turned to me and said “Pappa, that’s the same time you’re going to the ATC” (I been talking about it a lot ).

Yes it is my son, but that’s no problem, 2013 will have another ATC but we don’t know if we’ll get such a great car again.

That’s when he said the following words ……… Pappa……if you have to cancel your fishing trip just for the race then I’m going to tell Mr. Ragland (Scoutmaster) that I don’t want to be in the scouts anymore, then we don’t have to go do that race……….

I can’t describe how that touched my heart. My son understands the true meaning and relationship of a man and his fishing.

I explained that he’s more important than my trip and that the two of us will race. We started this baby, and we’ll see it out to the end.

post-5480-0-65784100-1327817471_thumb.jp

That's a true showing of how well you're bringing your son up Willem.This is going to stick in his mind as he grows and he'll recall on it when he has his own family.

Now if you can convince the Scouts into having the derby in Austin you'll both be set.....lol.

Keep up the good work with him.

Proud of you as a father.

Nice to know a father that raises a son like that.

You can be proud of him.

Now, let's talk ATC. IF you have registered, feel free to send air fare for Franklin and I to fish for you. We will also need lodging cost, but will take care of most of you food. You can ship your bait to us down there. I'll check to see what it will cost to ship our gear. PM me for my phone # and address for the RT 1st class tickets.............

If you think of anything else we will need, let me know.

P.S. how do I turn blue to green for a Theme?

Craig

Proud of you as a father.

Nice to know a father that raises a son like that.

You can be proud of him.

Now, let's talk ATC. IF you have registered, feel free to send air fare for Franklin and I to fish for you. We will also need lodging cost, but will take care of most of you food. You can ship your bait to us down there. I'll check to see what it will cost to ship our gear. PM me for my phone # and address for the RT 1st class tickets.............

If you think of anything else we will need, let me know.

P.S. how do I turn blue to green for a Theme?

Craig

You've got GREEN, check the "change theme"

Amazing,,didn't want you at the stinkin ATC anyway..... :bigsmile: ....

WOW. what a great achievement there are very few truly precious moments in life,,,,very few memories that will be with you and him forever,,,,

certainly he will always remember the BANK time with you, and he will Always remember the MEAN GREEN CARP MACHINE,,,,,

we will miss you,,,,,,but this is an opportunity of a lifetime,,,,,,carry on my friend, win the DERBY, and place the trophy on the mantle,,,,,,,you've got, from what it sounds like, more of a chance to win that, than you have, at winning the ATC... :thewave:

Guest carlymoomoo

That's awesome! My son Chris and I also did the Pinewood Derby thing when he was in Scouts. They had such a time trying to keep the dads from building the kid's cars that they made a separate division just for the dads and they got to build and race their own cars. A really competitive bunch of parents...

That's awesome! My son Chris and I also did the Pinewood Derby thing when he was in Scouts. They had such a time trying to keep the dads from building the kid's cars that they made a separate division just for the dads and they got to build and race their own cars. A really competitive bunch of parents...

They say last year was bad as far as parents was concerned. This years group was all about the kids.

I did not make my own car since I had about 10 cars in the race :jumpy:

We have many "No Father In Sight" boys in our group so I had enough to keep me busy with.

We had maybe 8 parent cars, and they be MOM cars !!!!! with one dad car.

The second fastest car overall was a mom car, 0.028 seconds slower than Chris' car.