Carp Anglers Group Forums
Cut-Throat

I Cannot Believe How Poor A Fighter A Grass Carp Is............

I have Fly fished for the Common Carp for over 10 years now. I prefer the flats of Lake Michigan where the fish can take out 150 yards of backing. I have been catching my first Grass Carp this week in Florida and must say that a Wet Tenns Shoe would put up a better fight. Although these Grass Carp are much harder to catch than the Common Carp, that is the only praise that I can give them. They are spooky, but once hooked they are weaker than Walleyes......And I didn't think that was possible. While the common Carp is clearly the Strongest fish in Freshwater in North America, the Grass Carp is one of the wimpiest fish I have ever caught.

I will not target the grass carp any more.....

Edited by Cut-Throat

you got one that was probably half dead,,,, :blush: ,they fight very well, and go totally nuts on the mat,,,,,,,matter of fact, they fight so hard on the mat, it's really hard to get them into the water alive,,,,,,,,literally they kill themselves thrashing around

Have you ever caught a Common Carp?.......Absolutely no comparison........ I have caught a half dozen Grass Carp this week and they all have been 'Half Dead'...

Edited by Cut-Throat

Have you ever caught a Common Carp?.......Absolutely no comparison........ I have caught a half dozen Grass Carp this week and they all have been 'Half Dead'...

Common's and grassers is about all he ever caught. Ask him about mirrors and koi. :Banana:

oh that was below the belt,,,,,,,,thanks Horace,,,,,,nice to have at least one guy on my side,,,,,

Like the others said, they must be sick or half dead or 6 inches long :) . Every single one I've caught gave me a fight like no other. Like torpidos through the water.

One my son caught (he's 6) + Grasser 22lb = Had told him by the back of his shirt, fish wanted to pull him in everytime it made a dash for the deep.

And I'm not talking one or two, each and every one of them....and I've caught a couple in my life. These are from just 2011.

post-5480-0-57790000-1328071645_thumb.jppost-5480-0-18801900-1328071654_thumb.jp

post-5480-0-85251900-1328071659_thumb.jppost-5480-0-36943400-1328071667_thumb.jp

post-5480-0-46564700-1328071675_thumb.jppost-5480-0-89479600-1328071685_thumb.jp

All of the Grass Carp that I caught this week were in the 10 to 15 lb. range.......Maybe there is a different species of Grass Carp here in Florida than the ones you guys are catching. My Bonefish/Permit Guide in Miami reports the same Sluggish behavior of the Grass Carp he catches in Miami Lakes and Canals.

The bottom fish is a Common Carp I caught in a Minnesota Lake.....These Commons are stronger than Redfish and when using a Fly Rod they will take the whole Fly Line and another 100 yards of Backing on ther blistering runs. The below fish weighed 26 pounds. I catch them up to 42 lbs. in Lake Michigan.

26lbCarp.jpg

YES, COMMONS GIVE A GREAT FIGHT, BUT GRASSERS ARE NO SLOUCHERS,,,,

so??? you're in Florida,,,,,,,that explains it,,,,,they must be RETIRED,,,,,probably laid back and sipping on a Pina Colada when you get em

Nice fish Cut!

Where do you fish in the big lake - TC area? I've only tried there a couple of times but keep promising to hit it more regularly with fly gear. I have also fished Tawas Bay flats on the Huron side more often with living on the East side. If you are a Mi guy I would love to compare notes for the spring. At the moment I'm just in the process of heading south like you to get away from the "hard water"!

Grassers in my experience can either fight to the death (usually when they get into the net...) or give up the ghost within a couple of minutes. But then so can regular carp.

This 50+ gave me a work out for a couple of minutes before coming in relatively easily.

This 50+ gave me a work out for a couple of minutes before coming in relatively easily.

Yes, this is how the grass carp that I caught fought.......A 50 pound Common Carp would have torn up the lake!......I don't think that grass carp made a run over 10 feet! ......I want to see a football field between me and the fish......A hard fighting 50 pound fish should take at least 10 minutes to land, rather than 2 minutes........I can whip a 50lb Tarpon in under 15 mintues on a fly rod......

Edited by Cut-Throat

Nice fish Cut!

Where do you fish in the big lake - TC area? I've only tried there a couple of times but keep promising to hit it more regularly with fly gear. I have also fished Tawas Bay flats on the Huron side more often with living on the East side. If you are a Mi guy I would love to compare notes for the spring. At the moment I'm just in the process of heading south like you to get away from the "hard water"!

I fish Lake Michigan on the Wisconsin Side......Mostly in the Door Penisula..... Finding the fish is always the problem

In matches on the pole, the more pressure the harder the grass carp will fight.

I think the grass carp can feel pain thier lips.

Don't think so matey...

Like the others said, they must be sick or half dead or 6 inches long :) . Every single one I've caught gave me a fight like no other. Like torpidos through the water.

One my son caught (he's 6) + Grasser 22lb = Had told him by the back of his shirt, fish wanted to pull him in everytime it made a dash for the deep.

And I'm not talking one or two, each and every one of them....and I've caught a couple in my life. These are from just 2011.

post-5480-0-57790000-1328071645_thumb.jppost-5480-0-18801900-1328071654_thumb.jp

post-5480-0-85251900-1328071659_thumb.jppost-5480-0-36943400-1328071667_thumb.jp

post-5480-0-46564700-1328071675_thumb.jppost-5480-0-89479600-1328071685_thumb.jp

Maybe it's the mustache

Size of a common does not mean it will give you the best fight, my best fights have come from smaller sized fish in the teen or 20s, I have heard this "they dont fight" scenerio before about small mouth Buffalo and I can tell you from experience they can fight as good or better than a common.

That being said I have never caught a grass carp but have witnessed a few caught and they were very strong fighters, in the water and off, mostly off though :)

I had about 8 grassers on carp tackle last summer.. all between 20 and 36. Not one fought remotely well. All in the net within 2 minutes at the most. I was not surprised......... a 20+ common is an entirely better fighter in my experience...

Grassers all have personality's, some fight like demons some give up all to easy . Had a 16 last summer that was porposeing like a marlin and took over 10 mins to land , others came in like weeds . It's really all in the grasser himself . So it greatly depends on the fish .

all the grassers I have caught here in NC and in FL are basically dragged in. No fight at all.

all the grassers I have caught here in NC and in FL are basically dragged in. No fight at all.

That has been my experience as well. - Your statement and the 50 pound grass carp video have confirmed my findings. Thank you.

Grassers, compared to commons, are frail kinda fish. We had some in aquaria some years back as fingerlings/yearlings and despite our best efforts, all perished in short order. The slightest shock, change or stress would send them into an upset. Their reputation on hook n line shows weaker recouperative powers as well.