Carp Anglers Group Forums
Spoon

Tennessee Spring Fish-In

On April 14th we will have our Spring fish-in near the steamplant at Kingston, TN. The steamplant has not been putting out warm water with any consistency, but this extra warm spring weather has the carp in that area feeding well. I will do some prebaiting also. We can fish the Interstate 40 bridge area and the rock pier beside the state highway. If we get enough rain before the 14th, we should be able to fish the big grassy point area which is just south of the steamplant. We can expect to catch some carp and buffalo in these spots and possibly a grass carp from the point. This is a good opportunity to introduce new people to carp fishing. Brad and I have invited some guests and we will work to get them hooked up to some carp.

I'm going to do my best to be there. Brad will be there.

Remind me to tell you the story about Brad getting bucked off of my 40-12 Grassie. I could have made a fortune on YouTube with the video.

But if that grassie had tail slapped off your glasses, I would have made a nice animated GIF of it. You would have been forever imortalized through it.

Yes I will be there, and at least 2 others are coming with me. Trying to get 2 or 4 more.

Maybe you can make it Willem.

John- I think from now on efforts should be made to record grass carp unhookings and holdings.

Haha too bad you guys missed my 31 hitting me square in the face!

I won't do Kingston this week-end. I will however do Pickwick Lake at the Dam.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Pickwick+Landing+State+Park+&aq=&sll=35.054451,-88.234549&sspn=0.044897,0.090895&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=Pickwick+Landing+State+Park&hnear=&ll=35.054451,-88.234549&spn=0.044897,0.090895&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Pickwick+Landing+State+Park+&aq=&sll=35.054451,-88.234549&sspn=0.044897,0.090895&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=Pickwick+Landing+State+Park&hnear=&ll=35.054451,-88.234549&spn=0.044897,0.090895" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Since the wife will join me I reserved a room for the week-end at the Inn at Pickwick Landing State park. I've always wanted to fish Pickwick and it was on my list for 2012. I plan to hit it a couple times and do a 7 day session this year to see how a long term baiting campaign work out.

I know the cats, crappie and bass = BIG.

A friend hooked a carp by accident near the hotel in 2004. He said he had the fish close to the pier thinking he had a BIG cat, when it got close he noticed it's it's a carp, the carp decided it did not want to be there and started running, stripping all his line and snapping his line. He said it looked like it was about 40+ inches long.

Well go get them Willem.

Explore the unknown western TN lakes.

I'm looking forward to this weekend already.

I have got some bait in at all 3 spots for the Kingston fish-in. The water is still about 2 foot below summer level but most of the red clay around the grassy point is now covered by water. Here are a couple of shots of how the end of the point looks.

post-1716-0-08488300-1334240806_thumb.jp

post-1716-0-54817300-1334240893_thumb.jp

Hey Willem, hope you catch some at Pickwick.

Willem, Mrs. Zoomie has spent more time at the No-Tell Motel near Kingston than those vamps in short skirts. She brings her laptop, cellphone and tablet and goes in to a clucking frenzy marathon with all of her friends !

Charlie, if you're asking for votes, I'd like to try the grassy side as I have never been able to fish it due to the ash spill. Seems like we'd have a bit more room and I won't be forced to throw over Brad's lines in order to ninja a sweet spot out of his unofficial peg. Besides, I can outcatch any of you bums when it comes to Buffs and Cats no matter where we fish. And in all fairness, it's been a while since I have rolled an ankle and the rocky edge looks perfect for it!

The grassy point can be our base. If the bite is slow there some of us could move.

The grassy point can be our base. If the bite is slow there some of us could move.

Throw Oat pack and the bite will be on... No matter how ugly your goilie is m8.. Good luck

Tom.

Throw Oat pack and the bite will be on... No matter how ugly your goilie is m8.. Good luck

Tom.

Well I think you know a thing or 2 about fishing Kingston, so I guess I will give the oat pack a go!

OMG ! It's Tom !

Tom, I just told Tosh the story about me sending a PL alarm to it's watery death during the BVille tourney last year and you walking up to our table and explaining that all of those alarms false but can be fixed with a 2 cent rubberband. Critical bit of info..........PRIOR to being launched in to the river.

Hope that all is well with you, sir.

Didn't see Tom's recommendation of oats til now. No worries, caught a load of fish on grits! We had a fine day of carp angling, with all of us catching carp. Three guests went home happy about the fish they had caught and new fishing methods they learned. will write more later after I catch up on much needed sleep. One great thing about our haul today...you could see your reflection in some of these fish :yes:

It had to be one of best weather days for fishing ever. Low 70's, 5-10 breezes, and stellar company. Once again I must tip my hat to Charlie for his hard work in pre-baiting. Every single person there including our guests pulled in a few. I'll wait for his report before commenting on the rest of the day.