Carp Anglers Group Forums
FJR1

Chicago Tournament - Lincoln Park Lagoon - 4/21/12

With the May 5th Cinco de Mayo Tournament filled, I hate to disappoint some who wanted to fish in a contest at the lagoon, and I've had to tell several that there is no more room for the May 5th event.

Consequently, I am conducting a "Maybe They Will Bite" Carp Tournament at the same Lincoln Park Rowing Lagoon on Saturday, April 21st from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Same rules as the May 5th Tournament apply with a $20 entry fee and a big three fish contest format. However, there will be a random peg draw as opposed to a walk-off draw. The contest is still limited to 20 participants.

I fished the Fullerton part of the lagoon recently and caught fish, so I'm thinking fish will be easily available in two weeks.

Please post here if you are participating. I will need a minimum of eight participants to make this a go. I will set up a contest website in the next few days.--Frank

Participants to date:

1. Frank Rink

OK. Thanks, Mike. This is a first come, first served sign-up. Those who are participating on May 5th can also fish in this tournament. Post here if you are in.--Frank

Participants to date:

1. Frank Rink

2. Mike Olinger

lets do it

Cory Bohmann is in. Thanks, Cory!

Participants to date:

1. Frank Rink

2. Mike Olinger

3. Cory Bohmann

Tournament website

Frank, you know as well as I do, at least 25% of the enrty list will be No Shows. But a very good idea for the 21st. Im ready!!!!

And just a note, make sure you lock your cars, alot of break-ins latley. :ph34r::blammo::ph34r:

Frank, you know as well as I do, at least 25% of the enrty list will be No Shows. But a very good idea for the 21st. Im ready!!!!

And just a note, make sure you lock your cars, alot of break-ins latley. :ph34r::blammo::ph34r:

Larry is out of the blind and on the bank. Thanks, Larry.

Participants to date:

1. Frank Rink

2. Mike Olinger

3. Cory Bohmann

4. Larry Seeman

Half way to making sure the event is a go.

Tournament website

Ill see you all there. Count me in

Sgt. Testa is in. That's five. Thank you, Zach!

Participants to date:

1. Frank Rink

2. Mike Olinger

3. Cory Bohmann

4. Larry Seeman

5. Zach Testa

Half way to making sure the event is a go.

Tournament website

Add CHIBIGTEE (Tracy Jourdan) to the list of April 21st anglers. That's 6; only 2 more needed to make this happen, although we can accommodate up to 20. I am working on medals for the event and might throw in some prizes for biggest mirror and most total weight.

Participants to date:

1. Frank Rink

2. Mike Olinger

3. Cory Bohmann

4. Larry Seeman

5. Zach Testa

6. Tracy Jourdan

Tournament website

Well I definitely won't get biggest mirror... They dont like my bait

Just some general info guys. The city is rebuilding the bridge over the rowing canal at Fullerton just west of LSD. Getting through early in the morning shouldn't be too bad. Parking in the zoo lot is still ok. The fee is still outrageous. You can still walk from some of the few free spots on the side streets. Can't wait! later

Hey Zack. Marcin had a 27lb. mirror from the canal I think it was last year. No special bait but like winning the lottery when you finally get one.

I still need two more angers to commit to make this a reality. I don't want to cancel at the last minute, so we need at least eight anglers total by Wednesday, April 18th.

Medals have been ordered, and I will throw in some bait/tackle/CAG store prizes for big mirror and total weight.

None of those prizes will come out of entry fees, so there will still be a 100% payout of entries in a 50%, 31.25%, 18.75% split for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The optional $10 big fish pot will be winner-take-all.

Should there be fewer than 20 participants, anglers will have an opportunity to suggest what pegs they want "in play" for the tournament.

Thanks for your consideration.--Frank

Tournament website

I think if have better chance with the lottery! Lol havn't had a mirror since 93/94 and never had one then either lol

The "Maybe They Will Bite" Carp Tournament at Lincoln Park's Rowing Lagoon is a GO for April 21st. Munenori and Linatro Kajiwara are participating, taking our number of participants to the minimum 8 anglers. There is room for up to 20, so let me know. Following are details. Thanks and good luck.--Frank

List of Participants (There is a 20 entrant limit.

However, with 8 anglers already committed, this tournament will take place.)

Entrants to date:

1. Frank Rink

2. Mike Olinger

3. Larry Seeman

4. Cory Bohmann

5. Zach Testa

6. Tracy Jourdan

7. Munenori Kajiwara

8. Lintaro Kajiwara

What: 2012 "Maybe They Will Bite" Carp Tournament. Catch and release; common and mirror carp only; random peg draw; Big Three carp fishing event.

When: Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM. Peg draw starts promptly at 6:30 AM.

Where: Lincoln Park Rowing Lagoon, Chicago, Illinois. The venue is adjacent to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Pegs will be established about 75 feet apart and south of the boat house on the west side of the lagoon. Headquarters will be at about the midpoint of the length of the South Lagoon.

Who: Participation will be limited to 20 entrants. Contact Frank Rink (PM or e-mail) or post here to enter. Should you just show up on the day of the tournament without pre-registration, you run the risk of not being allowed to participate

Why: The venue can be among the best in the country for big carp in late April through June.

How: This is a pegged, catch and release, common and mirror carp, Top Three Carp format.

Two rods per peg and one hook per line are allowed. The carp must be released alive to count.

It is highly recommended that you bring back-leads. Rowers are plentiful on weekends and they row notoriously close to the bank. Please be courteous should you "snag" a boat.

There are to be no baited lines in the water and there is no prebaiting before the 7:00 a.m. start signal. Carp must be on the bank within 15 minutes of the 5:00 p.m. end signal, or they do not count.

The pegs will be approximately 75 feet apart. However, if there are fewer than 20 anglers, I will take suggestions as to which pegs should be in play.

The entry fee is $20.00; there will be an optional $10 big fish pot.

This event will utilize the traditional random peg draw. Participants' names will be placed in a receptacle. First name drawn will have peg 1 and so-on. If you wish to fish with a friend or two, your names will be placed on the same ticket, so you are pegged together. If there are fewer than 20 anglers, pegs will be re-configured to allow more space between anglers.

There will be a 100% payout of the entry fees to the top three finishers for heaviest total weight of their three biggest carp. Based on a 20 angler field, payout will be $200 for first, $125 for second, and $75 for third. If there are fewer than 20 entries, payout will be 50% of entry fees for first, 31.25% of entry fees for second, and 18.75% of entry fees for third. I will provide award medals for the top 3 finishers, and to the anglers who catch big fish, big mirror, and high total weight. Tackle/bait/CAG store prizes will be given to the angler who has high total weight and big mirror!

Fish are to be weighed via the buddy/witness system. Use an accurate scale and don't forget to tare the weigh-sling. Weigh the fish in the presence of a witness (angler from an adjoining or close peg) and have the witness sign off on the weight. For the safety of the fish, anglers are expected to have their catches weighed immediately at capture. There is no sacking of fish.

Participants are required to complete and sign a waiver of liability form.

Please practice sensible and humane carp care, treat visitors with respect, be safe, and have fun.

Parking: Parking on the Cannon Drive Zoo Lot right at the venue is $35+ for the day. However, with the early peg draw and the half hour grace period for the zoo parking lot, participants can drop off their gear at the lagoon and then leave the zoo lot and park at the free lots to the north at Diversey Harbor or along the street to the west at Stockton Drive. The venue is walking distance from those free lots/zones.

Approximate Peg Locations (pegs numbered 1 through 20 run north to south):

Peg 1—Twenty yards south of the boathouse at a point where one concrete bank block at the near bank is higher than the adjoining block.

Peg 2—Near the big tree and in line with the smoke stack behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 3—After the willow tree and near a shallow hole in the ground near the concrete bank blocks.

Peg 4—Just after the overhanging branches of the tree.

Peg 5—Just before the willow tree and across from the parabolic curve in the wall on the far bank.

Peg 6—At/near the yellow pole.

Peg 7—Over 100 feet from peg 6 and just south of the willow branches.

Peg 8—Almost in line with the tree with the “Y” shape on the far bank.

Peg 9—Almost directly across from the chimney on the house/shack across the venue (to the east) at Lake Shore Drive.

Peg 10—At the missing concrete bank block on the near (west) bank.

Peg 11—Just to the immediate right of yet another missing concrete bank block on the near bank.

Peg 12—Just to the right of the branches/trees on the near bank.

Peg 13—In line with the corner of the red brick primate house behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 14—Lower drainage pipe on far wall.

Peg 15—In line with the One Way sign at Cannon Drive behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 16—Halfway between the missing concrete bank block and the yellow pole.

Peg 17—In line with the bus drop-off gate behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 18—At/near the drainage pipe on the far wall near the big tree.

Peg 19—In line with the electrical box behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 20—At/near the drainage pipe with the manhole cover or stump at the far bank and just to the left (north) of the 250 meter mark on the far wall.

Good luck!

Hey Frank, count me in and also Branko

Thanks, Darren and Branko! We are now at 10 entrants for the April 21 event. The long range forecast says rain, so it might be wise to bring a brolly. If we have less than 20 anglers, I'll probably eliminate the pegs at the south end of the venue. Good luck. Post here or pm me if you want to play.--Frank

Contest website

Hey Frank, Tracy here. Mom's still in the hospital so I haven't fished much over the last 6 weeks. Have you been out to the harbor/rowing canal? Wet a line? Get anything? I don't like being out of the loop. Hard to get back into the swing. thanks later

Tracy--I was at the rowing canal (just south of Fullerton near the construction fences) about a week and a half ago. I caught nine fish, but the biggest was only 16. However, it's obvious that they are interested in the lagoon early this year. It bodes well for the upcoming events there. Tom Skilling reported today that the lake is at 52° already.

It will be a busy upcoming week. Two Rivers on Sunday for the ABC event, Indy on Wednesday for the inaugural White River Carp League event, Rowing Lagoon on Saturday for my "Maybe They Will Bite" Tournament, and Milwaukee on Sunday for the last Group C session of the Winter Carp League. Prime time is upon us.--Frank

Thanks guys. I'll be in Milwaukee this sunday for the last "B" section of the year. Still in the running for "B" section winner. So, no wisconsin qualifier for me. good luck guys see you down the road. later