Carp Anglers Group Forums

Summer Location

Now that the summer seems to have arrived have people found the carp have abandonded the shallows and moved out to deeper water yet or are they still getting in the edge? Are fish still spawning near you or is it job done?

I've got a day out on Sunday and am undecided on whether to try a new spot on Lake Ontario or maybe a trip to a river where the water temp should be a bit more consistent...

They'll still come into shallows to feed (especially at night) and warm themselves in early dawn and late dusk. Here in NC, I do fine fishing anywhere between 8-14 ft all summer long.

All good questions! Im sure most of us will agree that the job is not done........though many fish have spawned, you will find fish spawning for a while still. I will agree that many large fish get it over with and leave town but the session I fished in recent days producing 5 20pluses had several fish holding spawn, both male and female. I would still give shallow water a chance.

JC has been producing in recent days and a few of my largest fish this season came from there. JC and the spot I recently did are both 4 feet of water.......and hold fish still. But as you know, JC can be hit and miss. So what happened in recent days doesnt mean Sunday will be good..............

hope this dodgy reply has helped you in some way...........talk about meh, its good its bad, they are they arent lol

One of lakes I've been fishing has been strange. The bite is hot between 6 and 10 am then dies off. And its about 5-6 feet

I believe we still have cold water in a lot of the places we fish at this time of year. I think you would be shocked to find water below 60 deg. F in 8 to 10 ft. of water. Of course this also depends on wind and currents. This is why we are getting such spotty results. JMHO of course.

Its Bloody HOT down here not had a bite now for 3 sessions tried early morning and late evenings nothing doing in my usual local spot so time move to couple other spots i know .

but it is so damn HOT....

Hot... try 112* in the shade...

but we're still catching them close (within 15' of the bank) and far (75 yards out).It really depends on the venue more than anything else.

In many locations along the north shore of Lake Ontario, the carp were in the midst of spawning at the end of April and were finished by mid-May. In the Kawarthas, they were starting to spawn in some places in mid-May (about a month earlier than normal). It’s been a crazy season for sure no doubt brought on by the warm winter and spring.

There are many places along Lake Ontario where resident carp cruise rocky or man-made piers adjacent to deep water. Most of the Toronto Harbourfront is prime for carp all throughout the summer. The bigger rivers with some flow always have good numbers of carp cruising up and down in summer (albeit usually of a smaller average size compared to spring and late fall)