Carp Anglers Group Forums
Grasshopper

Mirrors, Catfish, Thunderstorms, Food.

The boys and I got together again for a fun session of fishing. An overnighter. We all gathered at a local swim, with our bivvies and tent's set up, put out some bait. And waited, and waited, and waited. I even dozed off for a little while. But at 8:30 rolled around, we were all hungry. Hotdogs and Bacon were on the menu. Greeeeeeasy! We began to chomp away, and watch the distant storms, getting updated via friends on the weather. Then beeeeeeeeeeeeeep, a complete one toner from Nick's rod, he lifted into into, and he stuck em. A good struggle leads him to a 12 and change.

562913_4315672612917_1081478335_n.jpg

We crept into the bivvey's talked for a while, argued about stupid things like "love". Oh Colin lol! We chilled out for a bit, then went back out. Then all hell broke loose. I really mean, all hell broke loose. At 1:30 am, the guys wanted to cook some hotdogs. Why? Beats me. As we put fuel in, Kevin's Delkim sung and he was into a fish. This fish peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeled line. And when he got it close, I swore it looked kinda, scaley? Then I said to him, "Mate, congrats on your first mirror." He didn't believe me. I netted it, and said "Kevin come take a looksy" He replied, "It's a mirror!" and with my sarcasm I said "No Kevin, I thought it was an Orca Whale" We put her on the mat and then weighed her. 11lbs 12oz. But just as we finished the video, my rod, which had been getting constant knocks, finally shot off. Then, the wind changed, and went nuts, as I held a 12 foot lightning rod in my hand I horsed this fish in. A big, PB 11lb Channel Catfish grazed the net.

547950_4299050164525_1346420313_n.jpg

552699_4315678333060_906121760_n.jpg

NOTICE- in this picture of my cat, the hot dogs are boiling.

Meow, this one's for you Dino. Caught on a snowman.

558235_4315681293134_2083840642_n.jpg

Then it got bad, real bad. Our goal was to get to the apartment up the street for shelter. Yeah right, fat chance we were going to make it. I began to get worried, that storm was no more then 3 minutes away. We grabbed our rods and pods and moved it away from site. Everything went on top of the landing mat, and was secured by a pegged down tarp. Meanwhile, Nick and Colin are cooking the hotdogs. Everythings put away, and were about a minute from being hit. Then it hit us, Nick and Colin ran into the tent, burning themselves on the hot water, I tripped and fell over something. But we got in. Safe. We waited out one of the worst thunderstorms ever. Eventually Nick, Colin and I fell asleep, while Kevin had a mental breakdown, curled up into a fetal position and rocked back and forth in the corner of the bivvey. Poor kid. With every flash of lightning, I could see flashbacks of my life. By 4:00am it was on the Hamilton Skyline. Stunning light show. I went back to bed.

Nick got up, followed by Kevin. I slept, and so did Colin. But Nick excuted, and managed to pull out nice common. 8lbs. Then Kevin stuck one.

311693_4315682053153_2074205207_n.jpg

315324_4315686053253_301505818_n.jpg

After slow fishing, everyone packed up, Nick sqeauked out one more fish, a cutie. thanks guys for an awesome session. Fun times. Cheers.

482024_4315687333285_308638029_n.jpg

great read thanks for sharing

Nice write up and beautiful fish tristan. You guys need to be careful holding carbon rods in thunder storms, no fish is worth the risk. take care buddy!

that's a great mirror kevin is holding there. that spot does seem to throw up a few doesn't it?

well done on your catches and PMSL @ the comments about the thunderstorm.

That was a great post Tristan. Thanks for putting it up. Congratulations to all on your successful session and surviving natures temper tantrum. Great mirror Kevin.

Guest BCLT

Sadly I have nothing positive to say................since I call it like I see it...........

Today I went down there to fish the wall, only to arrive to the City doing repair work........I decided to go to the bridge to have a look see and came upon some local dog walkers (that I talk to all the time) complaining about garbage and people "camping"

So I walked down to find (once again) a massive amount of garbage including meat wrappers, jello cups, empty containers, gatorade bottles, cigarettes everywhere, used forks, empty beer cans, a tarp covered in mud, and a large bucket of rotting method..............

My question is a simple one..............why the hell cant you guys clean up after youselves........ are you intentionally trying to ruin it for us? The locals that I ran into were talking to the city workers on my way out saying that they were brushing their dog and found a small hook with braid on it in its fur...........the city suggested calling in a complaint............

You guys are going to kill lasalle for everyone! And one day overnighters will not be a possibility! People will see green shelters as "tents" and simply call the city, the police or whoever and overnighter carp anglers will be asked to leave.............

PS - My girlfriend and I cleaned up all your garbage! It took about 3 minutes!

post-5433-0-48400600-1343399517.jpg

post-5433-0-66071100-1343399523.jpg

post-5433-0-32756300-1343399530.jpg

post-5433-0-83657600-1343399535.jpg

post-5433-0-45636900-1343399541.jpg

post-5433-0-11503700-1343399551.jpg

post-5433-0-54017800-1343399557.jpg

Wow good man blct you young kids need to clean up your mess why would you catch some amazing fish then ruin the area for others and yourself

Initially I was angry when I read what Shawn has written and now I realise that I am just pretty sad :(

FFS boys - sort it out! These actions give ALL carpers a bad name. How on is the CAG supposed to try and promote carp angling in the area if you are doing this kind of s hit?

You don't seem to realise that something like this will undo all the hard work that Lorne and Mark (plus others) have done over the last few years??????

Could've fit all of that garbage in the bucket and just tossed the one bucket in the garbage on your way out, its really easy . Sad to see it guys, especially from CAG'ers.

Could've fit all of that garbage in the bucket and just tossed the one bucket in the garbage on your way out, its really easy . Sad to see it guys, especially from CAG'ers.

there's even garbage bins on the path, not far from the swim. probably a 30 second walk.

the saddest bit is that it isn't the first time this has happened either and going on how defensive people were the last time they were accused, I can't believe it happened again :(

Guest BCLT

This is what I said, to my lady, to the lady and her hubby walking the dog, and to the city workers telling the dog walker to call the city......and as for the bins.............you hit the nail on the head Jamie! Theres bins on that main path, theres bins at the entrance of the path and on the exit of parking lot..............

"bad show oh I"

Great catchin guys !!!!!!!!!! :yes: pretty kitty too!!

That's not bad litter , check out this pic from New York http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43082 POST # 9 Now let's hear complaints . I applauad ALL who don't believe in littering , BUT , trust me it could be ALLOT worse .

I claim responsibility for the bucket of method...I was the last one to leave and I had to bring too much extra gear back to the parking lot in a hurry or else my brother was going to be late for work, i know its no excuse, but i planned on going back to get it. As for the garbage, the beer cans and all that mess was certainly not us, or the gatorade bottles, we took all of our garbage out in about 3 trips to the garbage can carrying as much as possible. There were 2 drunk guys at our swim for most of the night which is why we had to fish the swim closer to the bridge and they left a bunch of garbage in their spot and I wasn't able to pick it up as I left. I know, I should've. Im usually very good with garbage but I just had to go, once again it is no excuse but theres nothing i can do to change that. Seeing as I was the last to leave I have to claim full responsibility for this. Im sorry, i made a mistake, im human. It won't happen again. Flame me all you want.

That's not bad litter , check out this pic from New York http://www.carpangle...showtopic=43082 POST # 9 Now let's hear complaints . I applauad ALL who don't believe in littering , BUT , trust me it could be ALLOT worse .

ken - the litter in that picture is quite obviously what has floated down the river and has not been left by a bunch of anglers :( - don't defend them FFS!

any litter is bad IMO - it makes the lakeside look ugly, no matter how much is there. I have always placed myself as a conservationist as well as an angler and when there are debates taking place at a city level about banning angling on the Toronto shoreline, then anglers leaving litter is only ammunition for those who are trying to ban fishing.

Guest BCLT

sadly a lot worse doesnt make it acceptable............the area in discussion is a very nice marina/park where older people from a retirement community visit frequently..........as soon as we make them mad, they complain and we cant fish there. It is a sailing school, sailing community with a higher expectation of "up keep" - if we all say.........."it could be worse" we fail correct the problem.

Trust me Ken, Welland Ontario has the frame of mind "it could be worse" Thats why it never gets cleaned and looks like a dump!

I claim full responsibility for this and I'm very sorry but I can't go back and change that but I promise It won't happen again in the future, thats all i can do.