Carp Anglers Group Forums
fishingfreak

Mass Carping ?

Hey, I have no carp experience but my friend used to carp when he was growing up. We have no idea if there are any carp waters in Massachusetts ??. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bob

Hey, I have no carp experience but my friend used to carp when he was growing up. We have no idea if there are any carp waters in Massachusetts ??. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bob

Forgot to mention we will be fishing in the Middleboro to cape cod area. thanks

You need to talk to the Oz.......................if only he were still around.

Sorry.

That was really useful, why waste your time replying.........

Scott Osmond (the Oz) is a Massachusetts carp fishing legend. Sadly however, he has been banned from this Forum.

Useful or not, it is a true and appropriate response to the question that was posed.

I see no other Massachusetts residents responding.....at least now you have a starting point..............

here you go...........

http://wildcarpcompanies.com/wild-carp-companies-for-anglers/Scott-Osmond-angler-bio.html

Ohhhh........I had no way of knowing who the OZ was or the story behind him. Now it makes sense and thanks for the link I'm starting to think nobody fishes for carp in S.E. Mass. Thanks for the help.

FF

There are a bunch of CAG Members in MA but I am not sure if any of them live in your neck of the woods. Carp can be found in the Charles and Merrimack rivers and many lakes and ponds all over the State. I live on the North Shore and have never fished anywhere in MA south of the Boston. However, there is a very active carp fishing community in RI who might be able to help you out.

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showforum=140

Iain

Same for me, I fished MANY venues in MA, but I almost never fished south of Boston. The few times I went exploring, local anglers kept telling me that the corresponding ponds do not host carp (and well, bass anglers tend to know when carp are there, even if they don't go after them). There were some rumors of a single pond hosting carp on Cape Cod itself, can't remember the name, but I read that all fish died out there, or something like that.

Bottomline: this is rather virgin territory, and the word of mouth isn't very good. If you're a beginner, you may want to follow Redcoat's advice and drive closer to Boston or fish in RI... If you're determined to explore south Boston though (and deal with corresponding possible frustrations), this would be really cool to get more information on where carp might be.

Thanks for all the replies, My friend and I are always up for a new fishing challenge so if we stumble onto something in S.E. Mass we will let you know.

FF,

I'm from the North Shore and had some experience on the SE side with my brother who's carp fished over 30+ years in MA and lived in Pembroke for many years. Here is what i can tell you without giving out carp spots completely:

There are a couple ponds south of Boston in Quincy ,Dedham,Hyde Park areas as well that house 20-35lb carp, I lost my first would of been 30+ in this area last year. Taunton River is a decent start for smaller carp in the area of Taunton, if you head further down river the fish get thicker, bank access is limited though, most areas boat is preferred where there is lots of private property or no shore access, try fishing closer to the Dighton area if you have access by boat.. There are also some nice carpy areas in Plainville, Foxborough, and Abington.

The main issue is that the Mass Fisheries Website does not list carp in many SE ponds because they only list what is stocked or reported by anglers so in this case mostly bass, trout, and salmon ponds. There are MANY untapped carp waters in SE MA so go get em and best of luck!

last time I fished Quannapowitt in june 5guys fished there were 44 carp caught i caught 21 and the biggest was 8+pounds.One mirror carp caught.

Sweet, was ready last Tuesday night, scoped out a quiet spot, prebaited with a few cans of sweet corn, went back a couple hours later to find my spot invaded by a family (had to been about 10) fishing for sunfish and bass.

Guess I'll never know

Will try again

Hey there Bob and welcome to the forum. Some great advice above from the MA crew.

Try south side of White Island Pond and Wequaquet Lake on the Cape.

Any ideas as to where I could waggler fish a pond in MA, obviously not looking to catch giants but just a good days fishing with some good 3-5lbs carp  ??

If you are looking for small to medium size fish you could try some of the small ponds in Boston along the Muddy River or if you have transport you could try Institute Park Pond in Worcester. It contains some very cute mirror carp - up to a few pounds in weight - that would likely be good fun to target by float fishing.

Iain