Carp Anglers Group Forums
jgrover

Carp Fishing Tidal Basin, Dc

Great Capture Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come join us on DC Fall Fish in november 3rd & 4th at Haines Point :swimminfish:

bring big and strong Landing Net :icon_smoking:

Moon, I will see you there and as many others as psooible! I plan to play tomorrow after work for a while. It may be my last Thursday until next summer as the timechange will make the difference.

HOPPY4

During the winter, you need to fish the main river and not the tidal basin for carp. The fishing is slow and difficult but carp can be caught in the winter off the main river. During the normal season, I'd say 15mm will get the you the most takes but 20mm is certainly not too big for these fish. But for the winter go with smaller baits (10-15mm).

The winter is pretty good for catfishing here. We don't have wells catfish but a different species called a blue catfish. It only gets to about 130 or so pounds but so far the biggest from the potomac has been in the 80 lb range I believe. My pb is only 47 lbs but I'd like to up that to 60 lbs one day. Here's a mid 30 I caught a couple years ago when I was fishing to write for the naca.

Nice Cat :swimminfish::toot:

Well Done Mike :)

:yourock:

Come join us on DC Fall Fish in november 3rd & 4th at Haines Point :swimminfish:

bring big and strong Landing Net :icon_smoking:

Moon, I will see you there and as many others as psooible! I plan to play tomorrow after work for a while. It may be my last Thursday until next summer as the timechange will make the difference.

HOPPY4

Hello Hoppy,

These days i'm fishing @ Burke till end of this month :) .... hope to see everyone soon at Haines Point (fish in) Nov 3rd & 4th ... But let's see where at Haines Point ? Hope it's on # 11 :rolleyes:

Moon, INDEED!!!!!!!!!! The Point will not be accessable on Saturday morning due to the MCM! I will be fishing at Anacostia Park as it played well last Saturday! Tomorrow, I will be at #11 after work and hope that the results are as GOOD!!!!!

HOPPY4

Moon, INDEED!!!!!!!!!! The Point will not be accessable on Saturday morning due to the MCM! I will be fishing at Anacostia Park as it played well last Saturday! Tomorrow, I will be at #11 after work and hope that the results are as GOOD!!!!!

HOPPY4

& 110 will be closed on saturday from 66 ...... Anacostia Park :rolleyes: looks great place to Fish for Big carp :swimminfish: one day i will go with you at Anacostia Park & bit further up ;) for Big Carp :swimminfish: :swimminfish: Hope you land big one on saturday :)

Thanks Moon! I hope that your Oct. Exploration will pan out as they say! I have heard that you are not the only one making a GO of those waters! GOOD LUCK to you all!!! I will let you know how the sessions turn out!

HOPPY4

Hey everyone! Sorry to stir up an old post, but I will be visiting the area the 13-15th of May just for carp, visiting from NC. I'll also be looking for my first snakehead while there. If anyone wants to fish with me while up there, I would love it! Send me a PM here, or better yet add me on facebook.

I plan on going Sunday and do some carping, just trying to figure out what side of East Potomac Park is best to fish of of, towards the main potomac facing Va, or the other side that faces the DC waterfront???

I'd agree with Alex, a lot of driftwood coming down with the current on the main river side also quite muddy, and it is a lot shallower.. Craig might swear by that side but most will fish looking across to the Anacostia in the deeper water of the channel.

DC tidal basin is one of my favorite places to carp fish. If you ever want to go let me know.

Holler at me as well for a Saturday outing or even a Thursday afternoon and evening as I will be working!

Hi everyone, sorry to post to an old thread but I will be fishing the tidal basin this Wednesday from around 1pm till after dark. If anyone is around please feel free to contact me to meet up.

I live around the DuPont area so I try to keep my gear to a minimum (difficult when fishing three rods) and I get a cab down to the Basin. Does anyone have any suggestions other than using huge boilies to avoid the catfish in the basin? Corn and chickpeas seem to work well but carrying kilos of wet bait in a cab can be a pain so I'm trying to find a boilie flavour which avoids them....any suggestions? Keen to pick people's brains on the basin as I'm still trying to figure the place out.

Now that's fancy.... riding a cab to the fishing hole.... :yes:

I've only fished the basin a few times, and used sweetcorn, without much nuissance from the cats. Tiger nuts also worked. I use bread around the lead, and only chum about a can of sweetcorn.

Have fun and let us know how it went.

I live around the DuPont area so I try to keep my gear to a minimum (difficult when fishing three rods) and I get a cab down to the Basin. Does anyone have any suggestions other than using huge boilies to avoid the catfish in the basin? Corn and chickpeas seem to work well but carrying kilos of wet bait in a cab can be a pain so I'm trying to find a boilie flavour which avoids them....any suggestions? Keen to pick people's brains on the basin as I'm still trying to figure the place out.

The only thing I can add is that prebaiting works well at the basin. If you use boilies it's a good idea to throw a hundred or so boilies out the day before you fish but with you having to take a cab because of the gov shutdown, I'm not sure how economical or practical this would be. By the way, my favorite product to come out since the spod is the Korda boilie kutter because it doubles the number of boilies, which you can buy from big carp tackle (http://www.bigcarptackle.com/store/product.php?productid=20050&cat=0&page=1). Wish they had this a few years ago when I used to fish....

As for avoiding catfish, I'm not sure what bait avoids them but I do know what attracts them. Don't use strawberry flavor lol. I'm not sure why DC catfish like that flavor so much but they do....especially channel catfish.

Thanks barbelfloat, I have a few kilos of tutti fruiti boilies to use tomorrow over a bed of corn so hopefully they don't have the same effect as the strawberry flavoured boilies. Getting to the basin on foot isn't a problem for me as I'm only 10 blocks away but trying to get all my gear down there is why I take a cab. It sounds fancy but it's more of requirement as it's my only option of getting down there. I've found that I'm finding it harder to locate the bigger fish recently. I've never fished tidal waters before and I find at the basin the margins give great results but it's dependent of the tide level and wind. As soon as I think I have the place figured out I have a blank. The joys of carp fishing :)

Yeah river fishing can be screwy sometimes. I hope the heavy rain we had last week doesn't mess up the fishing. Although the main river is probably unfishable until the current and flooding dies down, the basin should be ok I'd think. But if they closed the inflow and outflow gates of the basin, the number and quality of the fish you might catch could be affected. But at least tourists and by standers won't be a nuisance during the shutdown lol. Anyways, hope you do well. Good luck!

trying to get all my gear down there is why I take a cab

You need to get a carp-barrow to carry all your gear. Keep us posted on the results of your trips to the TB.

A barrow is all well and good but I don't fancy pushing a barrow the two miles to the mall and through all the tourists.

If you park at the fish market it's not a bad walk to the basin and there is a place where you can buy piece of chocolate cake the size of your head for a few bucks. Otherwise I park on Ohio drive.

I thought i would share some of my recent Tidal Basin captures. Three sessions and 5 20lb+ fish. Not giants but still great looking fish and a good way to end my season as studying starts to take up all of my time.

20.4lb

post-7226-0-08393700-1383416764_thumb.jp