Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ol Captain

A Big Fish And Some Wonderful New Friends!

A Big Fish and some Wonderful new Friends!!

The Crew and I never know what to expect once we embark on one of our adventures. Every trip is unique, every venue is different and every day is a blessing to us. Lately the other guys have been catching all the big fish but the sun doesn’t shine on the same back pockets every day. I was hoping for maybe something a little more personal today and I was certainly not disappointed. Little did I know that it would be a day to remember! A day filled with a big fish as well and some wonderful new friends!!

“Cool Dad” and I first met Don & Ethel Wolfe at this same venue several months ago. We chatted awhile and introduced them to the “Ultimate Carp Hound” and like so many other wonderful folks before them, I asked for their e-mail address. Little did I know but they have been reading our stories ever since!!

Aug30thGrasser014.jpg

Why they even shared that they looked forward to reading them each week!! Now folks, that is like saying “Amen” to the preacher!! We were so pleased this morning when they came by and spoke to each of us by name!! I love the fishing but it is times like this that really encourage me!

But (change of direction) that is not all!!! Some time around mid morning my right pole experienced a very “Proper Pull Down”. I was fishing a pay lake rig with a puff and some Strawberry flavored grits when the fish hit hard. After losing a couple of monsters in Florida on my last trip I was trying to do my best to bring this one safely to the net.

Little did I know that we were being observed by at least two other individuals as we played the fish, netted it safely and placed it gently on the unhooking mat. One of our new friends watching was none other than Bruce “No kin to Steve” McQueen. He came over and complimented us on how we treated our catch. Within minutes we felt like we’d known each other for years and Bruce even agreed to join Cool Dad and Max for a Fuji Moment:

Aug30thGrasser015.jpg

But that is still not all!!! There was a precious older lady (and I’m almost 60) that asked if she could take my picture with the fish!! She even said “I’ll have you one printed as well”. Being the shy humble fellow that I am at times like this I agreed to be photographed. I never gave it another thought and the lady quietly walked away.

In the meantime the best “Net Boy” east of the Pecos was doing his thing. We banked the fish, weighed it and quietly returned this 30 pound beauty of a Grass Carp safely back into the lake…..

Aug30thGrasser010.jpg

Aug30thGrasser009.jpg

Aug30thGrasser008.jpg

Aug30thGrasser011.jpg

Being a retired educator I must share for those of you who do not know, that a Grass Carp is really not a Carp at all. It is really a White Amur but for some reason they are more commonly called “Grass Carp”. To further your knowledge a 30 pounder is not really a Monster. We know of fish from this venue and at least one other where they run in excess of 50 pounds!!

It has just been so long since I’ve caught a fish of this size that I had to share this day with you.

So we were reunited with the Wolfe’s. We met our new brother Bruce Mc Queen. But what ever happened to the lady who took my picture and walked quietly away with not even an introduction? I thought you’d never ask……..

Sometime shortly after lunch she returned! Not only had she printed the picture but she had purchased a nice little silver frame for it as well! And once again without getting or giving a name she smiled and presented this framed picture to me right there on the spot!! So as soon as I got back to the Captain’s Quarter’s I proudly put it on display!!

Aug30thGrasser.jpg

Today has been such an encouragement to me. As I was trying to explain the significance of every detail to “Maximus Relaximus” he got plain giddy with excitement!!

Aug30thGrasser022.jpg

Today was one for the books folks. And it was even more special because of people like YOU who take the time to Come see us!!

Great read as always. I to look for your next posting Some good looking fish as well

wow what a nice fish and a beautiful story. your posts brighten up my days thank you again for sharing

This is a very cool immaculate fish. Nicely done, Horace!

Guest BCLT

great stuff, I took care of a friends cat for the last 6 weeks........his name was Max, made me think of relaxamus.............great post, great session and great fish..........thanks for sharing that one!

What a tremendous day!

The experience of your incredible capture was complimented so perfectly by genuinely thoughtful bankside company.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us Horace!

Beautiful catch and a great story to boot,WTG!!!!

What a great story Horace. Put a smile on my face :)

Very nice story & pics! Congrats on the 30 lb grasser.

Another great day spent with friends & new friends!

The fish was only held for a moment , but the memory will be held for a lifetime . Well done Capt .

Nice looking Grasser and a cool story