Carp Anglers Group Forums
Texas Carper

The First Fall Ghost Carp

The day started off at 4:20 am with temps in the 60's and a little wind as I headed out the door.I decided to stop off for fuel and a few other things before going to the swim.After I was back on the road with about 15 minutes to go I get a call.

Steve tells me he has forgotten his pod and alarms at the house and needed to go get them.Worried he might have left it on the bank the weekend before,I assured him he didn't.I arrived shortly there after and began unloading the gear.

I walked the bank a little before setting up to see how the swim was and pick out my spot.I made the decision to only go with two rods until I saw how the bite was.Got my pod set up and made my method so it could start setting up.Got the rods out of the holdall and picked my first baits.On one rod I had a tiger nut tipped with a kernel of raspberry maize.This has been working for my last few sessions.

Second rod was baited up with K-1 pineapple maize,always a good bait here in Texas.

Steve had made it back so I helped him unload his gear and waited for him to get set up most of the way.I was trying to be nice and wait so we could get lines in the water at the same time.Having a change of mind I went ahead and decided to out my lines out.Normally at this swim I would place my baits near the wall,but I had a feeling that wasn't the ticket this day.Today it needed to by just short of where the water was hitting from the fountain.

At 6:38 the wait for my first run was on it's way,time to relax a little.Steve was down to picking out his baits to start off with.Baited up and lines in the water we pulled the chairs out and waited for daylight.A conversation had started about the past captures from this swim.We know there has to be at least one Koi in this water due to the ghost carp in it.We've pulled several nice low to high 20's along with a few 30's from this neighborhood pond.I kidded him about me catching the first Koi from here and he joked about not fishing with me again if I did...lol.

At 7:18 I get my first run of the day,kind of an odd take from the normal runs we get.As the fish gets closer Steve grabs the net and gets ready.We see the head come up and for a second and both of us blurt out " It's a Koi ! ". Steve makes his normal comment to to me,which is a result of my knack for getting the first run during session.The fish comes to the surface again and we see it's actually a ghost carp.Still a beautiful fish from a great swim and my first ever ghostie.The weighing and picture taking now begins.As far as we know this fish has only been caught one other time back in 2009.Then weighing in at 12.25 lbs

13 lbs 4 oz

SANY0023_zps95c0ed92.jpg

SANY0027_zps9410baff.jpg

Rebaited and lines back in the water,we make a few calls to friends.In less than 30 minutes I had another run resulting in this nice little common.

16 lbs

SANY0028_zps3f8fe2c3.jpg

At this point we have two fish on the bank within the first hour and thinking this is going to be a great day.That thought was soon put to the side as the bite died off.It wasn't for another 6 hours until Steve got his first run of the day.A nice long common which finned Steve for revenge before being released.

15 lbs 12 oz

SANY0032_zps54a94b70.jpg

The next run came another 3 hours later and when Steve lifted the rod we knew it was a good catch.It was a sluggish fight just pulling the line as some larger one tend to do.Steve's third largest from this body of water and his first ever at this weight.

29 lbs

SANY0035_zpsb1cc6aeb.jpg

SANY0034_zpsa082da70.jpg

The last run of the day was less than an hour later with another nice little common for me

11 lbs 4 oz

SANY0037_zps7189127b.jpg

All captures came on tigers today either with raspberry maize or artificial maize.

There were no other runs to be had this day.As the sun began to set we had our conversations about what might be in the future from this little gem of a pond.Many nice fish have come from here,but she doesn't always produce easily for anglers.Many have been here up to 7 times without a single run or beep from an alarm.Yet we still go back to her for the times she has given up these golden trophies we remain in search of.And will continue to do so until we're no longer able to.

Another great day that will be tucked away in our memories to be called upon as time continues on.

Good job guys, congrats on the ghostie and the big un.

I'm probably gonna head out there sometime this week and see if I can coax out a gold bar or two. Last time there the turtles made it impossible but that's been 3 or 4 weeks ago now.

EDIT: Joe's ghostie is a recapture. Here it is almost three years ago when it was caught by Crago at exactly one pound less. Hooray for CPR!

101109_Jeffs_Ghostie-2.jpg

Edited by Flatlandcarper

That is one beutiful fish! You have an awsome place to fish at that pond there!

Very fine catch and enjoyable story, Joe! Congrats. --Frank

Great fish and nice story to go with it, Congrats!!!!

Looked like an amazing day with that 29lb, an expecially with that ghostie,awesome!!

two thumbs up.......well done guys !

Wow congrats on that ghostie! And looks like an interesting place as well....I've never fished a pond before but would like to one day.

Thank you and everyone else.

You never know what a pond might hold.I have another spot that I fish and I'm the only one that targets the carp in it.I've pulled several nice ones from it.The largest range has been from 18 up to 29 lbs.

Thank you and everyone else.

You never know what a pond might hold.I have another spot that I fish and I'm the only one that targets the carp in it.I've pulled several nice ones from it.The largest range has been from 18 up to 29 lbs.

ponds can hold some monsters in them

Fantastic Capture Guys! Congrats to you both!!!!!!

HOPPY4

nice write up joe, and good looking fish. grats steve on the 29. i thought that might have been my 30.04 from there but after a second look, its a new fish. so that is really awesome.

That's one sweet ghostie congrats

I'm bad lol, great session guys stunning ghostie Joe, Steve great looking common, thats a great little place you lads have, you never know whats in those ponds.