Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

Walters Cup - 2013 (Illinois Vs. Indiana)

At the White River Fall Classic in early October 2012, host Jim Donlan, who is also owner of Westside Bait and Tackle in Indianapolis, suggested a state vs. state series of carp fishing contests, similar in format to the Ryder Cup in golf. Team members from one state would compete one-on-one with team members from another state. He mentioned my name as possibly captaining a team from Illinois to begin the series featuring Illinois versus Indiana. Jim would captain the Indiana team.

From that beginning, the idea has blossomed. Jim, next, developed the idea that the trophy/cup be named in honor of a couple, Frank and Narda Walters (pictured below), who spent twelve years and traveled thousands of miles to catch a carp in all 50 states during the 90’s and early 2000’s. They were and are wonderful ambassadors for CAG and carp fishing, and their exploits involving fish-ins at the home states of Oatmeal Jack, Ol’ Captain, Carphead Ed and many others from around the country can still be “googled.” Mr. Walters passed away in June 2012. The Walters Cup was born!

HoochApril17022.jpg

Both Jim Donlan and I recruited our states' team members represented in the following graphics. We will fish a series of two events in the spring of 2013--one at the DesPlaines River in Joliet, IL and one at the White River in Indianapolis, IN. The Walters Cup series is intended to be a good-natured, friendly competition between anglers from our states. I will post additional information on this thread as more details are worked out. Perhaps other states would like to get in on the fun in the near future!—Frank Rink

walters_cup_illinois_logo.jpg

post-63-0-09209300-1350501811.jpg

Walters Cup 2013 Peg Choice Procedure

1. Sixteen carp anglers will participate in each Walters Cup contest, but there are 75 pegs at the White River and there are 26 pegs at Joliet (including the Jackson Street Bridge venue). Some choice of location and watercraft expertise will be part of the contest.
  2. At the start of each contest (Joliet and Indianapolis) team captains will exchange sealed envelopes with individual names numbered 1 through 8. When the envelopes are opened, anglers will know with whom they are paired (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, etc.).
  3. The angler who is numbered #1 from the visiting team will have first choice of pegs. The next peg choice will be made by the angler numbered #1 from the home team.
  4. So as not to give the visiting team an unfair advantage by always having the first pick of each pair, the #2 home team angler will have the next pick, followed by the #2 visiting team angler. Peg choice will proceed as follows:
    Choice 1--#1 visiting team
    Choice 2--#1 home team
    Choice 3--#2 home team
    Choice 4—#2 visiting team
    Choice 5--#3 visiting team
    Choice 6--#3 home team
    Choice 7--#4 home team
    Choice 8--#4 visiting team
    Choice 9--#5 visiting team
    Choice 10--#5 home team
    Choice 11--#6 home team
    Choice 12--#6 visiting team
    Choice 13--#7 visiting team
    Choice 14--#7 home team
    Choice 15--#8 home team
    Choice 16--#8 visiting team
  5. This system allows for four first picks of the eight pairs by a home team and four first picks of the eight pairs by a visiting team. In addition, an angler will have one minute to make his choice, and consultation with his team will be allowed.
  6. One team point will be awarded to the angler with the highest total weight caught in each of the eight paired contests. Obviously, there are eight points available at Joliet and eight points available at Indianapolis. The state team with the most points at the end of both tournaments wins the 2013 Illinois vs. Indiana Walters Cup!

Hello Tracy here. I am both honored and humbled that I was even considered let alone being chosen to represent our fine state-Illinois. I will do my best in practicing the morals of proper carp care taught by the Walters and fellow members of CAG. I know and have fished with most of the opposing team. They will be a formidable challemge and can't wait for spring!

I am deeply honored to be on Indiana's team.

I was Franks and Narda's Treasure while they were CAG Presidants

2013 Walters Cup Team Illinois Members--If you get a chance and if I don't already have it, please pm me your cell # so I can communicate with team members about team apparel and what they may be willing to spend. I don't want to go overboard with the peripherals to the actual event, but you know that Indiana will come with some kind of matching stuff.

Larry Seeman donated a Huxley rod for a Team Illinois raffle at Joliet last week and my Joliet winnings last week went into the Team Illinois pot, so we do have $154, so far, for team expenses. --Frank

walters_cup_illinois_logo.jpg

How about this for a team cap? It's about $30.

walters_cup_2013_hat.jpg

Fishing dates for the Walters Cup Illinois vs. Indiana tournament have been set!

Teams will meet at Joliet's Bicentennial Park on the DesPlaines River on Saturday, June 22, 2013 for the first of the two tournament series. Peg choice will be at 7:00 with fishing from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

• At the start of each contest (Joliet and Indianapolis) team captains will exchange sealed envelopes with individual names numbered 1 through 8. When the envelopes are opened, anglers will know with whom they are paired (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, etc.).
  • The angler who is numbered #1 from the visiting team will have first choice of pegs. The next peg choice will be made by the angler numbered #1 from the home team.
  • So as not to give the visiting team an unfair advantage by always having the first pick of each pair, the #2 home team angler will have the next pick, followed by the #2 visiting team angler. Peg choice will proceed as follows:

Choice 1--#1 visiting team
    Choice 2--#1 home team
    Choice 3--#2 home team
    Choice 4—#2 visiting team
    Choice 5--#3 visiting team
    Choice 6--#3 home team
    Choice 7--#4 home team
    Choice 8--#4 visiting team
    Choice 9--#5 visiting team
    Choice 10--#5 home team
    Choice 11--#6 home team
    Choice 12--#6 visiting team
    Choice 13--#7 visiting team
    Choice 14--#7 home team
    Choice 15--#8 home team
    Choice 16--#8 visiting team

The 16 anglers will be able to choose from among 24 pegs at Joliet:
joliet_fall2012_pegs_24.jpg

One team point will be awarded to the angler with the highest total weight caught in each of the eight paired contests. Obviously, there are eight points available at Joliet and eight points available at Indianapolis.

The Indianapolis Walters Cup Tournament will be held on Saturday, August 3 at the White River.

The state team with the most points at the end of both tournaments wins the 2013 Illinois vs. Indiana Walters Cup! Good luck! --Frank

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! what bait to use?

If I remember right Larry the spring pig hunt last year winner was Flammin Hot fries :swimminfish::yes:

If I remember right Larry the spring pig hunt last year winner was Flammin Hot fries :swimminfish::yes:

Your right, but the Walters cup taking place late spring or early summer takes different bait, LOL

I too I'm looking forward to it been awhile since I fished up there. Should be a good one there is a lot of great anglers fishing this one.

I am adding a few items of information regarding the 2013 Walters Cup Events.

1. I recently sent messages to all Team Illinois members regarding your preferred order of peg choice. As you know, captain Jim Donlan of Indiana and I will exchange sealed envelopes at our first match on June 22 with anglers of each team numbered 1 through 8. Number 1 on the Indiana list will compete against number 1 on the Illinois list. You already know about the peg choice process. We will confer as a team during peg choice about what best pegs remain. I have put together a tentative list of order since most of you responded that you are happy to fish in any order on the list.

2. Team Illinois caps have been ordered and should be delivered to me by May 22. I will distribute them as I see you at events in the next month. If not, I'll give you yours on June 22 at Joliet. I'll need that money, Larry, designated for expenses. I'll cover the remaining cost.

walters2013_cap_illinois.jpg

3. I'd like to provide some breakfast or lunch for the teams on June 22. If you would like to help donate to the cause, that would be great. If you know of a decent caterer, that would be great. What about your sister's place, Larry?

4. I talked with Jim Donlan last Wednesday, and the tournament events at both Joliet (June 22) and Indianapolis (August 3) will allow three rods. Peg draw is at 7:00 a.m. and fishing will be from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. (as opposed to the originally announced 4:00 p.m.).

5. For those visiting from Indiana, a nonresident annual fishing license for Illinois is $31.50 and a 10 day nonresident license is $20. You can get both online. Google Illinois DNR.

6. 24 pegs will be available for choice by the 16 anglers. In some ways, the DesPlaines River pegs are similar to the White River pegs in that there are 6 pegs (8, 9, 16, 17, 22, 23) right next to bridges and another "end" peg (1) that can be productive. Good luck!

joliet_fall2012_pegs_24.jpg

7. We will meet for the 7:00 a.m. peg draw on June 22 at the parking lot near pegs 5-6 at Joliet.
bicentennialmap.jpg

Looking forward to seeing all of you at Joliet on June 22 Contact me should you have additional questions.--Frank

post-63-0-54485000-1365686139.jpg

Good job Frank, Il see what i can do on the food.

Thanks, Larry. I got your pm's and appreciate the generosity and the work to make the Hoosiers feel welcomed. :yourock: --Frank

Well the food is on order, and now the question is who is going peg to peg to deliver it?

I look for someone around here to do it maybe.

Moreless the same food as the 5 Bridges tournament, if thats ok?

just want to wish everyone the best times for this tournament. great name in honour of two people I had the absolute pleasure of meeting a few times. hope it all goes well.

andrew

Amos, the second round of the Windy City Carp League is the day after the Walters Cup, you and Jathan should stick around, PB's everywhere in Diversy Harbor.