Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

Walters Cup - 2013 (Illinois Vs. Indiana)

Amos, the second round of the Windy City Carp League is the day after the Walters Cup, you and Jathan should stick around, PB's everywhere in Diversy Harbor

Humm

Lunch will be provided on June 22 for participants and weigh masters (thanks to Larry and family for the discount and to Larry for helping me pay for the lunches :yourock: ).!

I expect delivery of Team Illinois caps today. Remind me to give you yours when we meet again. Good luck! --Frank

walters2013_cap_illinois.jpg

I talked with Jim Donlan last night, and Team Indiana is bringing backup anglers to Joliet in case someone does not show at their 4:00 a.m. departure time. I haven't heard from Tracy lately, so post here, Tracy, if you are out there. I'm pretty sure the rest of us from Team Illinois are good to go.

I was at Indy last night, and Jim D. tells me that they (Team Indiana) will need at least three points at Joliet to have a shot at the points championship at Indy. I'd be more than happy with five points at Joliet. Our lineup was pm'd to Team Illinois yesterday, so contact me should you want to suggest any changes.

I was lucky to get peg 75 ( the winning peg the prior two Wednesday night tournaments in April and May) at an event in Indy last night, but I only caught one fish; so I'm not sure what our #1 angler should choose when we go to the White River on August 3. Pegs 70, 74, 69, and the pegs just south of the Michigan St. bridge and just north of the bridge closest to the zoo did better than my peg last night (but it could be a reflection on my lack of skill or inappropriate bait). Jim also told me that Mrs. Walters is dealing with some serious health issues, so she probably will not attend the events.

Many of you already have your Team Illinois hats, and I'll distribute the rest when I see you at Joliet on 6/22. I've decided not to get tee-shirts or any other team-related gear. Thanks, again, to Larry Seeman, who donated a Huxley rod last year for raffle, the proceeds of which helped offset my expenses for the hats. In addition, Larry generously paid half the cost of lunches and also procured a great deal for lunch. Thanks, Larry! :yourock:

Jim Donlan and Robert Bradley will probably steward at Joliet if they don't have to fish, and Larry Kirchner may also serve as a steward. I'm not sure about the best peg in Joliet in the summer, so feel free to pre-fish at least up to three days prior to the tournament. Please do not fish it on June 19, 20, and 21. Best of luck, Team Illinois! --Frank

walters_cup_illinois_logo.jpg

Team Illinois welcomes Mr. Larry Kirchner to our Walters Cup roster. Larry replaces Tracy Jourdan who has a schooling conflict. Welcome and thanks, Larry. Less than a week to session 1.--Frank

kirchner_larry.jpg

Larry going to carp fish?!? Had the world ended?

Gotcha Larry!

Team Illinois welcomes Mr. Larry Kirchner to our Walters Cup roster. Larry replaces Tracy Jourdan who has a schooling conflict. Welcome and thanks, Larry. Less than a week to session 1.--Frank

kirchner_larry.jpg

Larry, you better take off that Carhartt jacket and bring your rain gear! Welcome Larry!

I must have missed it. Is this a two or three rod event?

Three rods.

I am offering a few reminders as we are five days away from the June 22 Walters Cup Match in Joliet.

1. Make sure you have an Illinois fishing license!

2. This event features a three-rod limit. Illinois DNR regulations require that your name and address are on your third rod. I use mailing labels for mine.

3. Peg draw is at 7:00 a.m. at pegs 5-6 in Joliet. Many of you have been there, but you can input 10 S. Bluff St., Joliet, IL into your GPS or mapping website if you need directions.

4. Team captains will mutually submit their sealed lineup cards just prior to 7:00 a.m. #1 from Indiana will compete with #1 from Illinois and so on. As indicated in prior posts, Indiana #1 will choose his peg first, then Illinois #1, then IIllinois #2, then Indiana #2, then Indiana #3 and so on.

5. If Indiana Captain Jim Donlan is able to steward, he will weigh fish. Consequently, bring a keepsack.

However, if peg picks show that some Indiana anglers are fishing next to or in close proximity with Illinois anglers, I will certify scales shortly after we know peg choices and will allow you to weigh/witness each others’ fish to save Jim some time and scurrying from peg to peg.

6. I will distribute scoresheets at the event. Please return them to me at 5:00 p.m. so we can determine final results. Scoresheets require either an opposing team witness’s signature or a steward’s signature for each fish.

7. Larry Seeman and I will provide lunch free of charge (sandwich, chips, pop). Jim D. will either deliver lunch, or, if he is unable, we will stop fishing for 15 minutes to get our lunches at a pre-designated location.

8. One point is awarded to the Team whose one on one angler has the higher total weight during the day. In other words, there are eight possible points on June 22, and another eight points available on August 3 at the White River.

9. Fishing is from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. THERE IS NO CHUMMING/FEEDING PRIOR TO 8:00 A.M. However, you may plumb depths and check the water with unbaited lines. We will return to pegs 5-6 at the conclusion of the event for final results.

10. Anglers may have help netting, and you can net for each other, but anglers must strike and play their own fish. Banksticks can usually be placed in the chainlinks at each peg, but a pod may work better at some pegs.

11. We will get little if any rain this week at Joliet, so the DesPlaines River should be in decent shape. There are some forecasts calling for some rain or a brief thunderstorm on Saturday, so I’d suggest you bring rain-gear.

12. Most of all, I look forward to fishing with our Indiana friends at an event that honors Frank and Narda Walters. (For those who might be interested, we will include a $10 sidepot for big fish (1st, 2nd, 3rd big fish--$80, $50, $30 payout if all get in). A total weight sidepot is not realistic because of the way pegs are chosen). Looking forward to seeing you in Joliet on June 22. Drive safely. --Frank

walters_cup_illinois_logo.jpg

bicentennialmap.jpg

post-63-0-54485000-1365686139.jpg

In addition to a chance for isolated thunderstorms, Saturday will see a high of near 90°. You might want to consider some kind of umbrella or brolly. A SW wind, however, bodes well for a potential haulfest. Good luck!

Keep in mind that summer peg productivity differs a bit from the honeyhole pegs in the fall and winter. Choose wisely, gentlemen!

pegs_joliet_2013.jpg

Keep in mind that summer peg productivity differs a bit from the honeyhole pegs in the fall and winter. Choose wisely, gentlemen!

pegs_joliet_2013.jpg

well put frank

traveled thousands of miles to catch a carp in all 50 states

I don't think that Hawaii or Alaska have carp. Do they? Still, it's a great goal to have plus seeing the USA from sea to shining sea or swim to swim. My best to all for a tourney dedicated to fine people who promote carp fishing.

We are 72 hours from Walters Cup 2013 at Joliet. We will have high temperatures and high humidity with heat indices of 100°+. Prepare accordingly. Good luck!

pegs_joliet_2013.jpg

Peg 5 has a nice shade tree for one of those Indiana Carpers!

Ssshhh! Peg 5 is Team Illinois' secret honey hole.

Don't forget your Team Illinois hats, boys. I'd like to get at least one pic of the team. Thanks.

Peg 5 has a nice shade tree for one of those Indiana Carpers!

That's a good thing that will be your peg than Larry Lol

Team Indiana will be bringing some of Indiana's finest donuts from Long's Bakery.

Thank you, Jim.

Don't forget your Team Indiana lineup card. If all are here before 7:00 a.m., we will start peg choice early to allow plenty of time for set-up prior to the 8:00 a.m. start. Anglers are reminded that there is NO CHUMMING prior to 8:00 a.m. Good luck.

With 64 hours before first cast, the Joliet forecast is holding with a high of 89° and heat indices approaching 100°, but no rain.

I'd love to fish the venue in the next couple days to try out different pegs under the heat conditions, but the venue is now off-limits for fishing by Walters Cup participants until Saturday. --Frank

Team Indiana will be bringing some of Indiana's finest donuts from Long's Bakery.

sugar free?