Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ontariocarper

Corn Storage Help

So its almost the end of our season. I just got 320Lbs of cattle corn from a farmer friend. I want to store the corn in a water tight plastic barrel and leave it in the wood throughout the winter. Will this storage method cause mould to grow or go bad or should I top it off with water with space for the water to expand when it freezes. Sorry for the long question. If you have any other idea please fire away. Thanks

It needs to be stored in air tight containers in a warm area. large amounts of corn is stored in grain bins with an air system to keep moisture out. also alot of times it will get insect infested. Fish-On Bill

I would recommend 5 gallon buckets stored in your basement. As bill mentioned insect infestation would destroy the corn. If your storing it in water the corn will smell awful for when you will fish next season and transporting the stinky stuff will be an issue.

Thanks guys, I kinda thought that would be the outcome. I'll go and pick up a bunch of buckets and lids at the farm and put them in the basement's storage area. I'll also check them every so often for bugs. Thanks again.....

I was told if you put one of those (hand/body warmers that you remove from the pack and they react with air and stay warm) in your airtight container with what your keeping they use all the air within and it helps preserve stuff,

i use a desiccant containers from work with a lock seal. they work great never had bugs have been storing them that way for over 2yrs in the garage in hot and cold weather with no problems.

Cool thanks for all the input everyone. For now, I made space in the basement's storage room that will fit all the buckets. When I have time I will look into the desiccant thing that can be mounted on the barrel I have. Thanks again for the suggestions, I averted a 320Lb corn disaster.... :)

Like the guys have said, air tight bucket or barrel. I have had cracked corn in an air tight container for two years and its still good to use

that's a lot of buckets

I ended up using 30 gal metal containers due to ongoing squirrel and mouse issue in the shed, they are good but do condense moisture so you can't use them for long term storage

since you mentioned storing corn in water you can actually store cooked corn with water in the buckets, you just need to make sure buckets and lids are clean, soak and cook the corn for awhile add hand full of salt and pour it boiling in the bucket let say 3/4 of corn but water should be almost to the top, close the lit and it will stay preserved for a long long time without going bad/sour if you keep it in cool dry place

Guest BCLT

I would store it dry......this way its lighter for transport and easier to control the way you use it........ei natural, flavored etc.........you can never take away whats already there........ I personally am a firm believer in fresh boiled corn.....and the ability to flavor it what ever way you want.......leaving it dry will help you with this...............but thats not to say my way is the right way........many people believe in raunchy corns and they catch fish so who knows lol

I never use corn but I do use oats and the bugs do get the best of you either way. I put mine in a freezer for a few weeks before I do anything with it so far as storage goes. This kills the bugs and then you can do with it what you will. You can't keep it too cold and dry for me but killing the bugs to start with, and it all has bugs, is the key for me. I have a chest style freezer I bought used and cheap just for this. :icon_smoking:

I bought a plastic rubbermaid garbage container for my dry corn, i keep it outside all year with 0 problems. None has rotted or molded and no bug problems with it, the lid isn't air tight but it is tight enought to keep the bugs out it seems. Mine holds about 100lbs and does hold up to being carried with that amount of weight in it.

I bought a plastic rubbermaid garbage container for my dry corn, i keep it outside all year with 0 problems. None has rotted or molded and no bug problems with it, the lid isn't air tight but it is tight enought to keep the bugs out it seems. Mine holds about 100lbs and does hold up to being carried with that amount of weight in it.

Ditto for me. I have the Rubbermaid containers & buy corn 300 lbs at a time & have had no storage problems. I don't use all the corn for fishing but also give the deer here a treat every now & then.

Thanks all....I think I figured it out....will keep you all updated.....Thanks again......