Carp Anglers Group Forums
hairwig

The Cold Front Didn't Get It's Way...

I met up with Thorolds self proclaimed "Worst fisherman", fellow CAG member and good friend,Nathan this morning to try our hand at a venue in the Niagara region for our first time. It was a breezy, chilly morning to start. Lucky for us the sun helped take some of the nip out of the air. Still, I was glad I put on the layers.

We arrived on the water at different times. I was already set up on one swim when Nathan eventually turned up. Seem's he done a little more scouting around than I and spotted fish topping furthur down the creek. So, after a short catch up I agreed to pack up and move to the other spot instead.

Well, after our trek was over we went about getting our lines in the water. Nathan brought along a baitcaster with some pack and puff's.I had my float rod and center pin to do some float fishing.

post-2992-0-19668900-1353812890.jpg

post-2992-0-39879200-1353812937.jpg

The part of the creek we fished was around 60 feet wide and basically 4 feet deep (At least the the parts I could cast to were). The bottem was silty mud.I ended up casting into the margins while Nathan chucked his bread pack out to the far side of the creek where we spotted the fish activity earlier. It took a while for the fish to get their heads down when Nathan gets the first fish of the session that also turned out to be the largest of the day. All other fish caught were around 5 pounds or under

post-2992-0-30660300-1353813027.jpg

Nathan ended up catching 2 on the puff until his small bag of pack expired.I also brought along a compact carp rod with a bait runner reel. I lent it to Nathan. The rod was set up with a small cage feeder with a 14 inch hook link w/hair. We both shared some method I put together consisting on just oats and tuna. I threw a few ball's around my float with some sweet corn and Nathan used it with the cage feeder

post-2992-0-59011100-1353813077.jpg

post-2992-0-63210200-1353813124.jpg

Again, Nathan cast at range closer to the other bank and he was into fish in no time. I made a very good net boy. They seemed to be stacked up on the far side and thin where I fished...Oh well..I know next time

Nathan ended up catching over a dozen and I had 5, not including hook pulls. Before the session we were a tad weary fishing the day after a sharp cold front with cool November waters. We didnt catch any bigguns but that didn't matter though as it turned out to be a great session regardless. It would have been nice to fish longer. The day's are so short already with winter unofficially here.

It's always a pleasure to fish with you Nathan. I look forward to next time

Cheers, Mark

Hey Nathan. WTG!. PUFFS RULE!

Well done guys. That is pretty cool when you can catch on a cold snap like this. Great post and pictures.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like another good day. As a new CAG member, I never thought that carp would be catchable in cold water conditions. As a former bass angler, bass were very lethargic under such conditions and can be caught but tries one's patience.

Me thinks Nathan can no longer lay claim to being Thorold's Worst Fisherman! lol

Nice job braving that cold and wind yesterday to bank a bunch of carp! That really reinforces that cold fronts don't always shut down the fish.

Thanks for the excellent report and pics Mark.

Wind in our faces, but it was well worth it! First time trying the puff, too bad i ran out of bread, i know for next time. Also found myself snacking on them the other day, surprised how tasty they were.

Thanks for letting me use your gear Mark.

Wind in our faces, but it was well worth it! First time trying the puff, too bad i ran out of bread, i know for next time. Also found myself snacking on them the other day, surprised how tasty they were.

Thanks for letting me use your gear Mark.

Your more than welcome. The puffs and bread did work well. But I do think the feeder had the same catch rate for you. Either way, they were stacked up in that one part. Next time we'll be well in. Let's try to get back before it ices over!

Your more than welcome. The puffs and bread did work well. But I do think the feeder had the same catch rate for you. Either way, they were stacked up in that one part. Next time we'll be well in. Let's try to get back before it ices over!

Let me know when, I'll be there! This time with the euro gear and some delicious method.

Awesome write up and a fish filled session! Looking forward to how round 2 goes! Tight lines guys!!

Let me know when, I'll be there! This time with the euro gear and some delicious method.

Why not keep fishing paylake style.I would be cool to see both methods catch fish from the same swim. I'll give Mark a packbait to take with him and give to you to fish.