Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest RebelCarp

Maggots!

Guest RebelCarp

I have been reading alot of carp magazines lately and keep seeing guys use maggots during colder months. Anyone have luck using maggots on a hair while putting maggots out for free offerings?

It would be really easy for me to get maggots because of ice fishing now. I can probably get 1000 for $14-$15.

Over the years, I've seen several "accidental" carp caught on tube jigs and waxworms. This has been during the winter and early spring months while fishing for steelhead and coho. I'm guessing carp find the same attractive quailites in waxworms as the trout do. I'm sure maggots would be the same story.

They are a great bait... Only problem is that when used in Europe in lakes that are basically only filled with carp they are good. Here in America where or lakes have huge population on catfish and panfish, both of which love any type of worms, we trend to catch Alot if things other than carp. With that being said, good luck and we all look forward to the report :)

Guest RebelCarp

Thanks for the replies!

I'll try that maggot clip Robert :yes:

Once the ice comes off my one favorite lake, I will be trying maggots with a bread pack/maggot filled pva bags. Sounds deadly :bigsmile:

Maggots are a fantastic winter bait, in fact they are even better in the fall. However, in Europe they are readily available and much, much cheaper. They sell by the pint and are around $3. They are generally used in large quantities and the fish become pre-occupied on them, much the same as when fishing over large beds of small particles. You may have some success fishing them on a maggot clip or similar and attaching a pva bag filled with them but I would guess you will get plagued with other species! Every species of fish likes maggots!!

Im sure they would work but I would be pretty scared about the panfish.

Read a response years back on a UK forum regarding maggots...the maggot user said "I'd rather catch 9 nuisance fish and 1 carp using maggots than go all day and catch no fish at all." His partner was fishing boilies as he didn't want to catch nuisance fish....he avoided nuisance fish...but, he didn't catch any carp either. :)

From my experiences I'd guess that maggots would be all but impossible to fish with on US waters...for all the above reasons...they would be shredded...before they hit the bottom in some cases. I do think they would be killer on a paylake though....if you could fish proper match style and could access enough of them. One day some expat English guy will sit at a Southern Paylake and change the game forever....

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Buckeye Bob" data-cid="654120" data-time="1358356618"><p>

Read a response years back on a UK forum regarding maggots...the maggot user said "I'd rather catch 9 nuisance fish and 1 carp using maggots than go all day and catch no fish at all." His partner was fishing boilies as he didn't want to catch nuisance fish....he avoided nuisance fish...but, he didn't catch any carp either. :)</p></blockquote>

+1

I'd rather catch catfish than nothing at all!

If you ever want to give them a go, I couldn't find a source locally so ordered from these folks a few years ago. Prices not bad at all and bait arrived in great shape.

Vados bait...out Minnesota...various colors too

http://www.vadosbait.com/index.php/bait-store/maggots.html

Best of luck. Just make sure you read the "care" instructions on their site to keep them alive as long as possible. And don't throw away the one's you find dead/hard after a bit...these are casters...they are still alive and in their transformation to a fly stage. Casters are another bait match fishermen love to use.

Guest RebelCarp
Best of luck. Just make sure you read the "care" instructions on their site to keep them alive as long as possible. And don't throw away the one's you find dead/hard after a bit...these are casters...they are still alive and in their transformation to a fly stage. Casters are another bait match fishermen love to use.

I was wondering what the heck "casters" were when reading the uk magazines :icon_smoking:

Match anglers will often run their maggots thru a riddle (screen like tool) to seperate maggots and casters. The live maggots will work themselves through the holes...the dead ones won't. I've never done this but the casters are also a bit bigger. Crunchy on the outside....juicy in the middle...YUM YUM!!!!

Short 2.5 min clip by Korda on fishing maggots...he is using some that he froze in the freezer too.

They will 'turn' really quickly if they are not refrigerated until use....depending how fresh they are when you get them this could be as quick as overnight. Also, maggots will shrivel up in really cold water...like a in a cold shower...You might want to scorch some with boiling water which will keep the shape....the fact that it kills them is almost irrelevant in ultra cold conditions, they wouldn't be moving very much for very long anyway...

Edited by Bill Stoltz

If you split the maggots up into small ziplock bags and poke a few pinholes in each bag and keep them at around 35F, they will keep for a long time - up to two months plus.

Casters usually float and what you need to do it put them in a zip lock bag and pull the air out after a while they will suck all the air suffocate and sink in the water

If you split the maggots up into small ziplock bags and poke a few pinholes in each bag and keep them at around 35F, they will keep for a long time - up to two months plus.

Hey honey...I've got 3 quarts of maggots in the refrigerator. :jumpy: Seriously though...did store mine in the refrigerator, made her very very nervous.

Guest RebelCarp
Step #1 of starting a maggot farm... Purchase 5,000 maggots through online dealers, pet stores or fishing bait wholesalers. :lol:

Read more: How to Build a Giant Maggot Farm | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8585572_build-giant-maggot-farm.html#ixzz2IHh1fecR

LOL! I had to stop reading it. When I started to think about how this would benefit me, I slapped myself. I have enough crazy ideas from carping so far. My huge stock of bait right now is getting ridiculous :lol:

All I can think about with maggot farms is this

http://youtu.be/IBrCaVySmDU

:bigsmile:

Guest RebelCarp
Casters usually float and what you need to do it put them in a zip lock bag and pull the air out after a while they will suck all the air suffocate and sink in the water

Wouldnt casters work great on your hair because they will float instead having to super glue them to a cork or threading them on a maggot clip/rig ring?