Carp Anglers Group Forums
(GA) needmotime2fish

Winter Carping in Georgia

I haven't seen much activity in the Georgia section of the Forum recently, so I'll start a topic. Maybe someone else will do the same, and we can rejuvenate this section.

OK -- on to the topic of "Winter Carping in GA" ...

For the benefit of the folks in other parts of the country, GA winter weather has some wild swings. For example, for most of the last 2 weeks, the high temps have been in the 40's and 50's. However, earlier this week we had a few days with temps in the 70's, so I decided to try a session at "Red's", a nearby paylake, just to see if anything was happening. I did manage to catch my first 2013 carp -- nothing great (27", 8 lbs), but it did get me off "zero" for the year. :yes: In a session that started about 10:30 AM and finished at dark, about 6 PM, I only hooked two fish, losing one. As I expected, the water was still pretty cool, and I saw very little fish activity, and all I did see occurred after 2:00 PM, after the water temp had warmed slightly..

Getting back to the weather, the next day after those 70 temps, there was a severe cold front that triggered tornadoes and other severe storms in the area. And two days after that, we've had lows in the 20's here, and just 50 miles to my north, there was 3" to 5" of snow today. Obviously, one of the biggest obstacles we Georgia fishermen face this time of year is those crazy swings in the weather.

I usually try to schedule my sessions on warm days, following at least one or two previous warm days -- just so the fish "might be" a bit more settled, after that period of more stable weather. But those periods don't occur very often this time of year, so I'd like to ask other CAG members to share their thoughts and suggestions on fishing at this time of year to combat unstable weather patterns.

Thanks! :)

-- Barry

Barry I'm going to predict that you will catch the biggest carp in Gwinnett County this year and will be declared the Gwinnett Heavyweight Champion by the parks and recreation authority....You know here in Gwinnett a carp is a carp....Commons, mirrors, goldfish, grassers, suckers, tigers, a carp is a carp...

Hey Tim --

If I keep eating and not getting out of the house, I'll soon be the Gwinnett "Heavyweight Something" -- champion or otherwise!

:jumpy:

With the inconsistent weather we've had this year, I've only caught one carp so far -- and that wasn't even in Gwinnett.

But Spring is almost here ........... :yes:

Edited by needmotime2fish

Well their saying at Lanier the carp are so thick next to the shore that you can almost net them (guy on GON posted some pics). Too early fpr spawn..

Hi Barry just saw your note. I fish right through the year for carp here in GA with varying levels of success. However I fish almost exclusively on the rivers. You will find though, that rivers are far more susceptible to temp swings than lakes and thus those few days of warm weather will quickly turn the carp on, but better still are the days after heavy rain. While it has to be admitted that I do not catch many fish over 20lbs, those that I do catch are usually winter carp.

To give you an example I took 10 carp,all low to mid doubles in a 3 hour session on Sweetwater Creek in February this year.

Unlike a lake, you can pretty much predict where the carp are in a river in winter and so it is just a case of tempting them to feed.

Of course I am biased... I have fished rivers for the last 50 years all over the world and tend to feel a bit lost on a lake. As temps rise of course you lake fishermen will start to out do me. My average sized carp falls from Feb through to the summer and starts to pick up again in the fall. I had 4 carp yesterday in a 2 hour session.... 10,9 and two 8's from Big Creek, Roswell and that is sort of normal for me in May!

As I type this, I am about to head out to the 'Hooch before all the kids get in their tubes...anticipated outcome: few carp around 8lb, but you never know!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Barry just saw your note. I fish right through the year for carp here in GA with varying levels of success. ..........

As I type this, I am about to head out to the 'Hooch before all the kids get in their tubes...anticipated outcome: few carp around 8lb, but you never know!

Cheers

Tony

Tony, I hope you did well on the Hooch :swimminfish::swimminfish::swimminfish:

PM sent.