Carp Anglers Group Forums

tigers nuts

goatsdime

Tigers are popular in europe mainly because nuisance fish bream, crayfish, generally dont like them as much as boilies, also for super shy fish they may pick up the odd tiger instead of a boilie, carp do like them however in general I have never found that they out fish boilies like most particles they have no real nutritional value for a carp. Fish will pass them whole most of the time.

Tiger slime is an amazing liquid super sweet loads of attraction carp just love the stuff, the way I like to prepare tigers is add brown sugar some salt, carnation milk then soak for 48-72 hours, boil for 45 mins then leave in a seald bucket keep checking your looking for the snotty, slimy goo, use it straight away or freeze it you will never soften tigers but soaking takes the swelling out which is what is dangerous for fish.

Lots of good stuff on the net about preparing them.

Good luck

By definition I think that bait is what's on the hook or hair. What is referred to as packbait/method/groundbait is all chum. Chum lures the fish in, bait is what they eat to get hooked.

Definition of CHUM
: animal or vegetable matter (as chopped fish or corn) thrown overboard to attract fish
Examples of BAIT
  1. baiting hooks with live worms

By definition I think that bait is what's on the hook or hair. What is referred to as packbait/method/groundbait is all chum. Chum lures the fish in, bait is what they eat to get hooked.

Definition of CHUM
: animal or vegetable matter (as chopped fish or corn) thrown overboard to attract fish
Examples of BAIT
  1. baiting hooks with live worms

I don't use a dictionary to carp fish m8. Won't catch you diddley..

try looking up ( pickup/lifter ) in our Funkan Waggnel.

Tigers are a pickup, not a bait. jmho

Actually it's both... "jmho"...

Goatsdime didn't ask for this kind of help... CAG needs to open a new forum section called "tavern" or something where mr BIG can troll at. And talk about his popcorn.

I used them today for the first time and had good results Wacker has them in stock and on the packaging is directions to prepair fairly simple

Nice imma give them a try I went and picked some up from resistance tackle today I'll start to soak the in the morning should I add flavor or just sugar tho

I just added sugar to mine and they are working great. I made up a small batch about two cups to try and I am going to try some with Molasses in them but being the first time using them in my waters wanted to use the KISS method "keep it simple stupid"

KISS, like it.

You can put as much natural flavour in as you want really sugar, molasses, maple syrup add it all into the soaking faze, helps the nuts absorb the flavour.

As I said before you will never really soften tigers so penetration of flavour will not be as good as say chick peas, peanuts, maples, just avoid using artificial flavours at high levels.

A little tip, when you have finished boiling the nuts in the same water you have soaked them in, drain the nuts well, divide them into bags the sizes you would take fishing, before you tie the bags to freeze add a little more of your original flavours not the soak as this is waterd and boiled down but like a glug,mix it into the bag coating the nuts then freeze. Below are some of my favs, all come from the grocery stores.

Molasses,brown sugar, salt.

Carnation milk, vanilla, chocolate powder, salt

Maple syrup, salt, coconut milk.

Paticles, nuts, peas dont really give off a lot of flavour on their own so they really benefit from flavour,soaks,glugs. You can also go the opposite to sweet try things like sardines in oil, tuna, mackeral, oyster sauce really stinky fishy stuff, just dont do it anywhere near the wife or the house LOL.

My biggest edge at the start of the season is sinking trout pellets soaked in liquidised sardines and tuna gives off a slick in the water and stinks(use rubber Gloves) but the carp love the stuff.

Alternative hookbaits can be lunchean meat, pepperami, prawns, mussles.

Good Luck

Is a tiger nut still "just a pick-up" if used solo without any packbait?

I think tiger nuts work well on lakes/rivers where the carp typically feed on zebra mussels, snails, and other "crunchy" forage. They have worked well for me on the Finger Lakes, St. Lawrence, and certain swims locally. I like to fish either a single tiger, or a tiger and fake corn.

I personally like to let my tigers ferment and get a bit funky after a double cooking process. First time I will boil them with a little peanut oil, sugar and salt, maybe some chili too. I'll boil them for about 45 minutes on a lite boil. Then, I'll just let them sit for a few days, week, or whatever. I will then boil them again for another 30-45 minutes. That second boil helps to thicken the liquid. After they cool down I just put them in a sealed container, and they will get better with age.

I am faithful believer in tigernuts. I buy a standard size nut, i guess you would call them that, they are not the large tigetnuts. from westside bait in indianapolis. I go thru the nuts and pull out the larger ones to prepare for my hair rig. I Often put two tigers and a fake corn on the hair, the fake corn also helps the tigers float lightly, i guess you could say a balanced rig.. I sometimes put the nuts in a blender and chop them up than boil them with hemp seed. than I use this for a wetter for my pack bait. I keep the whole "hook bait" nuts in a sealed jar, i like the slime and stink, i think it works best. I usuall add nothing except some salt when preparing the nuts and I allways use lake water so as not to have any chlorine. The chopped tiger nuts in my pack bait gives me a lot of confidence, I allmost allways have a few in whatever pack bait I'm using. I fish with 3 rods here in Indiana and I usuall yave 3 different hook baits on my hair rigs, 1-tigernuts with fake corn, 2- a boiley and 3 a dough bait i make and use on the hair rig. I would say that 60 % of the time the tigernut rig will get bit first. All I can say is. Try them, you will like them.

• 4 weeks later...

try soaking them in neat full fat coke instead of water and them boiling them in it as well.

works a treat.

one of the great things about tigers is that the fish eat them, crap them out and then eat them again. a small amount can go a very long way!