Carp Anglers Group Forums
Tribal Carper

2013 Ohio Fish-in schedule

Ohio CAG Fish - In schedule :

April - East Harbor April 20-21

May - Westbranch May 11-12

June - Midwest CAG Regional State vs State in Mich. Saginaw River "The Brawl on the Saginaw"

July - ?

Aug. - ?

Sept. - Sep 14-15 TJ Evans, Newark (Bob Bernowski Host)

Oct. - Rayland Oct. 12-13

This is what I have so far, I would like to do maybe a GMR event in either of the open months if I can get Rick or Larry to host.

I would also like to fish the remaining month somewhere NEW like Paintcreek (I know a good spot) or one of the Muskingum watershed lakes (peidmont, clendening,tappan).

You guys let me know what you want to do with the two open months

July or August (except for early morning ) is usually way too hot for me to set up on that black top at the GMR some other location would be alot more comfortable for everyone

How about Toledo in either July or August???

I know I don't live in Ohio now... Just giving ya some idea...

I'm all in for Paint Creek for sure. Piedmont has my curiosity up too. Anyone familiar enough with Hoover for big enough bank space and have a possible "buffalo" weekend to see if it is a promising buffalo lake?

For the TJ Evans event I'll need to have Names, Address and Age of all attending to purchase individual permits. We can handle that later on down the road. Have already been talking to Parks Dept. on doing this as well. Will post up more details as get closer.

All sounds great to me. Just hope i can make as many of them as poss. I would love to see an event around Toledo/Maumee as Ak says, but am happy to go with whatever is decided. Some of your suggestions sound great also Scott

Just as an idea, considering July & August can be hotter than hell, maybe we can make it a stalking event, wherever we end up going???

Thanks Rick , we will set it up elsewhere.

Bob , just let me know what you need and I will help anyway I can.

Dave, I really do want to do some sort of single day event since those months can be horrible....a stalking event during the day with some of the guys who have the knowlege sharing techniques on float fishing and all that would be awesome...then for those who want to fish all night, we switch to the normal static style of fishing..pods, etc.

Paint sounds good,as does Tappan. As far as July or August,maybe Griggs or another central location. Not much down here in the southwest. Cowan is a nice lake and has good carp and bank space. DA KING !!!

Anyone fished Big Walnut Creek around Shadeville? Access might be an issue. Used to live on a farm there at OH 665 and US 23; saw some big carp, catfish and gar in the river. How about Dillon at Zanesville or Salt Fork at Cambridge? I'll be watching for the results. Good fishing!

Big Walnut...not since '71. Know right where you lived, graduate of Hamilton Twp. Big farms in the area belonged to Archers, Peters and Grants. Bailed hay for all of them. :-). Have fished Dillon alot, Salt Fork a little.

I have kayaked all up and down Big Walnut for smallmouth bass, but never fished it for carp. That area of the Scioto is awesome, just not enough space to hold an event unless you know a private land owner that will allow us to fish.

Bob, does dylan hold many carp? And if so, any size to them?

We held a Fish In there once and I've fished it a few other times. Catching was never an issue but sizewise most fish are in the <10 lb class. I have a place there...when water levels are up that I've caught a few +20 lbr's in the spring. I've also caught a nice stamp of carp in the river below the dam...not the spillway (too crowded) but in a spot just at the entry into a pond and another a couple hundred yards past the entry into the little pond you find below the spillway...the pond btw is a great crappie water as well albeit very snaggy. In the winter months...notice the icecicles...several years back the spillway...floating sweetcorn was a great place for double figured carp...and NO ONE was ever fishing there. I understand they've redone the spillway since these pics were taken in 2002.

post-4-0-39766800-1362261943.jpg

post-4-0-38330100-1362261959.jpg

post-4-0-35970500-1362261976.jpg

Our Fish In there was 2004.....We had a great time. Shawn W. was our chair then; but we had a couple young guns there too...sons of members. Come to think of it we had ...Paul Binkley, Ohio's first chair was there with his son (silhouette of the two of them fighting a fish below)...myself, the 2d chair, Shawn W, 3d, and Phil D. our 4th chair.

Packbaits were still very new to most northern carpers so I brought out a paper with recipes and bucket loads of various ingredients and we did a "packbait" presentation bankside. Dick Laubsher used the rice packbait for the first time at one of Westside's Indy tourneys the following weekend and won. I also brought out my baitcasters, rod stands and alarms. Everyone was allowed to fill a quart size baggie of the various ingredients I brought. The one thing I brought out was all the "AquaMax" sizes...from the fry powder on up. The fry powder makes a great boilie btw.....

Anywho...sorry for rambling...just remembering some great times and the camraderie when fishing with friends..

post-4-0-11129700-1362262734.jpg

post-4-0-28107600-1362262902.jpg

post-4-0-21325100-1362262953.jpg

post-4-0-95836100-1362262986.jpg

Great story/history & pics Bob. Thanks for posting that.

Aaaah Dylan that was a good time, the rangers where so excited to have us there I think they hung out with us the whole weekend and even let us drive our cars to the spots to deliver and pick up gear. As Bob says a lot of fish but pretty small, I seem to remember somebody reeling thier rods in for the night and left the bait hanging out of the water to wake up and find his pole missing.

I agree with Bob about below the damn away being pretty good for teen fish, I have also fished just up from where it enters the Musky as well. I found that Van Dams (spelling) bait in anise flavor was really hot in that area. Later on in the summer I always did well with spicier baits like Hot Cin dip on maize with a ground corn pack. My Brother in law lives in the area so if we go fishing this is the area we always go.

Schedule looks good, I am up in East Harbor all the time anymore so I will try and stop by and say hi the weekend you are all up there. Unfortunately it is a busy time for me up there so I doubt I will be doing any carp fishing but I may bring the traveling gear just in case. Unfortunately I got into walleye fishing a little too much and it has really conflicted with any carp fishing I want to do. It seems if I am not taking trips out I am working on boats anymore. Hope to see a few of you in a few weeks, been a long time since I hung out with some of you.

Great to hear from you Sean and hope you can stop by and say howdy up at E. Harbor. All the best.

Sean... Maaan, I was just thinking about you... :)))

Gonna try to swing up to EH on the Saturday to say hi. Not sure what kind of time I will have. Have an Adopt A Highway litter pickup in the morning. Hope to make it up and shoot the bull with some of you.

Shawn can you bring some Morels with you??

Rayland Marina

1810 County Road 17-A

Rayland, OH 43943

10 dollars per tent per night to camp. You can park right next to where you fish (rain permitting). If it's raining you have to park in the lot but if it isn't or hasn't for awhile you can park right by the bank.

Great place to catch a lot of fish so bring enough bait and chum.