Carp Anglers Group Forums
Harry

Family Friendly

I grew up Carp fishing at the Yatley complex in the UK. I now live in Waltham MA. I was wondering how big the Carp are in the Charles. Ie average size and river record and what the best lakes are locally. (Family man now so will only be able to steal a few hours here and there.)

Thanks

H

Can't help with your question but would the family be interested in putting a few carp on the mat? Best times we had were all four of us fishing somewhere. BTW, welcome to the forum and the USA.

Harry,

I live near Worcester and to be honest you will be spoiled with the number of waters that have carp in them. Pretty much every body of water has them in, some bigger than others, depends what you are looking for; size or numbers?

I think the Charles has produced high twenties and the odd thirty, but is mostly singles and doubles. Not fished it myself, but I believe the basin area where the muddy river comes in is an excellent spot. Check out Jerome Moisand's underwater video's that were filmed right at this location.

A few other suggestions:

Concord/Sudbury/Assabet Rivers - All connected and lots of fish to upper twenties

Merrimac River - Excellent river in the upper stretches, above Lowell. Lots of twenties, the occasional thirty but if you get it right you'll catch lots of fish.

Around Boston - Brookline Res (fish to low thirties), Jamaica Pond, Spy Pond in Lexington

Worcester - Blackstone River (stuffed with smaller fish, but lots of mirrors)

I don't fish that way, more around the Worcester areas and further afield. You can also check out Wild Carp Companies who hold some events throughout the year in Massachusetts.

Good Luck,

Dean

I know the connecut river has caught some big ones, as I use to live over there on the east coast before I got into carp fishing but have done alot of research back there on where there were any so when I go back to visit I can try it and see how I caver there. I've read some good size carp has came out of the connecut river in southern NH so im sure if u can find where it come through mass im sure if u can find some bank space on the river there in mass on the same river im sure ull caught some good ones. Most the rivers like the connecut river has some gd carp in them.

Harry,

The best news is that you can now fish 4-6 hour sessions and likely catch more fish than in a week at Yately :)

If you can find a local spot and do some pre-baiting you will be amazed at how good the fishing can be over here.

Hope you decide to join CAG and come join us at some of the fish-ins.

Hi Harry,

You have some decent fishing right in Waltham along the Charles. The Moody St Bridge has some good areas that you can fish. Fish there or any place on the Charles typically range from singles to high teens with 20's here and there along with some pretty mirrors. 30's are possible and rare on the Charles, your best luck for a 30 would be in the Watertown area during spring. One 30 that I know of did come out of there in 2011.

I plan on making a trip up to boston sometime this summer and i plan on trying to land my first carp. If anyone has any suggestions on good spots in the boston area that would be appreciated.