Carp Anglers Group Forums
Davy

Grass Carp

I was out looking for some new waters this week. I stumbled across these Ponds went for a walk around. They looked real Carpy I got excited I saw some huge dark spots submerged in the weed. Upon further investigation I realized they were Grass Carp. They were stocked into these Ponds to maintain the weed. I have never fished for Grass Carp these are huge. I was wondering if the same tactics we use to catch Common's or Mirrior's would work on Grass Carp. So any of you that have caught any would you please share some tips and tactics. Thank you.

bread on the surface.

They also love grits packbait and tigernuts

So far, every grass carp I've caught was on canned corn -- 3 or 4 kernels directly on the hook (I have not caught any grass carp using a hair rig, but have hooked and lost a few).

I've always done better when I've had time to pre-bait the swim. When pre-baiting isn't possible, I like to throw out some sort of chum/groundbait when I first get to the swim. I don't usually catch any for at least an hour or two if I haven't pre-baited. That might be because it takes the fish a while to locate the newly chummed area.

My success has been about the same when I've fished with packbait around my sinker as when I didn't use any packbait (inconclusive results).

By the way, just yesterday I began a pre-baiting program in a nearby county park lake. An e-mail from one of the county park agents confirmed that they have stocked the lake with grass carp. I'm planning to postpone fishing there until after I've baited it several times.

I catch alot of nice Grass Carp on a hairrig with an O ring with 3 or 4 enterprise Maze Pop ups and 1 sinking with a split shot on hook link about 3/4 of the inch down if you have heavy grass on the bottom need to move it so the rig is not hidden completly in the Grass I use a Panko Oat method mix and get a Nice method bed laid then start fishing for them I also like to toss a Little prepared maze in the area.

I have also found that if You can get them feeding on the surface toss a few Pieces of bread in the water then toss out some enterprise Bread with a controler float and hold on